Bangkok named 18th among 25 world’s top destinations for travelers

webfact

Bangkok named 18th among 25 world’s top destinations for travelers

IMGP6698-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Leading travel website TripAdvisor released its 2015 Travelers’ Choice awards for Destinations naming Marrakech as the world’s number one destination for travelers.

Bangkok was also ranked 18th among the world’s top 25 best destinations.

Bangkok climbed two spots from 2014 to ranked No.18 this year.

Marrakech of Morocco climbed five spots from 2014 to the top in 2015.

The ranking, published on Tuesday, based on travelers reviews to select it 2015 Travelers’ Choice award winners for the world’s top destinations.

According to TripAdvisor, Marrakech is “a magical place, brimming with markets, gardens, palaces, and mosques. Exploring the intimate courtyards and snaking alleyways of the historic Medina can easily eat up a day.

TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Top 25 Destinations 2015 are :

Marrakech, Morocco
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Istanbul, Turkey
Hanoi, Vietnam
Prague, Czech Republic
London, UK
Rome, Italy
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Paris, France
Cape Town Central, South Africa
New York City, USA
Zermatt, Switzerland
Barcelona, Spain
Goreme, Turkey
Ubud, Indonesia
Cusco, Peru
St Petersburg, Russia
Bangkok, Thailand
Kathmandu, Nepal
Athens, Greece
Budapest, Hungary
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hong Kong, China
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sydney, Australia

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-named-18th-among-25-worlds-top-destinations-for-travelers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-26

Do these people ever visit these places? The second on the list is Siem Reap, Cambodia. Chosen from the whole world. The first five:

Marrakech, Morocco
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Istanbul, Turkey
Hanoi, Vietnam
Prague, Czech Republic
Is this for a family? Is this all there is in the world? I wouldn't even choose New York as #1 in the US much less in the top group in the world.
I shake my head when I see these lists and think of all of the great places I've seen which aren't on it.
Oh well.

Don't worry, the stats come from TripAdvisor, you know the website that sells accommodations as a third-party, nice and cheap (also has Hilton there of course). TripAdvisor bases it on their "customers" (booked through them) ratings and reviews (comments and stories). Most are normal, hard-working poor people looking for cheap holidays and the top 5 countries give that, well at least cheap (and decent) accommodations compared to the more better classed holiday destinations, where accommodations are a bit more expensive, like Bangkok.

Edited by ronthai

Was it another rating that ranked Bangkok No 1?

This is a worrying fall for Bangkok! It's normally ranked no. 1 in the world for the past decade. Instant drop of 18 places on the list... What on earth happened? Did people realize it's a chaotic, stinking, dirty, dangerous, noisy place full of people who don't really like foreigners but are happy to try to scam them at every opportunity?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is a worrying fall for Bangkok! It's normally ranked no. 1 in the world for the past decade. Instant drop of 18 places on the list... What on earth happened? Did people realize it's a chaotic, stinking, dirty, dangerous, noisy place full of people who don't really like foreigners but are happy to try to scam them at every opportunity?

This is not the Mastercard ranking. This is TripAdvisor. Bangkok has climbed a couple of places.Not fallen.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I ask the same question. If you are being scammed in this, according to you dangerous, stinking city, why not go back to whichever hole wherever you come from? Be safe.

Utter nonsense. if you are being scammed at every turn, I might suggest you are visiting the wrong places. Stay away from tourist traps because you will get scammed in every city in the world there. Stay away from establishments catering to Westerners because you are asking to be a sucker. Stay away from the sex trade because scamming is what they do. If you live in a nice residential area you will not get scammed everyday. Years in BKK and the worst that has happened to me is 1) paying too much for a Tuk Tuk ride but it was hot and I was lost. 2) having someone over weigh a Dragon fruit and charge me an extra 20 baht.

More often than not, local Thais will always make the correct change and in several cases I have had them chase after me when I gave them an amount that I thought was correct and walked away but change was owed. You are really a cynical, old expat apparently who came to BKK to live as a Westerner. if you hate it here so much...why are you staying ?

• Like 2

I think Bangkok was more that way before and is becoming less chaotic, stinking, dirty and noisy. I've lived in Bangkok for 8 years and hardly ever been scammed and I feel much safer here than most of the other cities on the list. For an innocent tourist the feeling could of course be different.

I would think the reason for the drop in Bangkok's popularity could have to do with rising prices, stricter regulations, messed up politics/society and less friendly locals (locals in the city centre..in the suburbs they are still nice and friendly).

I still think Bangkok is one of the top cities in the world but I can understand why it had a higher rating some years ago.

• Like 1

Do these people ever visit these places? The second on the list is Siem Reap, Cambodia. Chosen from the whole world. The first five:

Marrakech, Morocco
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Istanbul, Turkey
Hanoi, Vietnam
Prague, Czech Republic
Is this for a family? Is this all there is in the world? I wouldn't even choose New York as #1 in the US much less in the top group in the world.
I shake my head when I see these lists and think of all of the great places I've seen which aren't on it.
Oh well.

Each to their own.

Marrakech - my ex-wife and daughter went there for a holiday. Cut it short and bought an expensive extra one way ticket home. They said the food was disgusting, everywhere dirty. hotel service poor, rip offs all over the markets, and they were constantly being groped, touched, leered at, and some very suggestive remarks. They travel a lot and are very well traveled. This is the only place they left early.

Prague - went there for a business conference several years ago. Seedy place. Early evening I went for a walk. Many long queues at bus stops, people on their way home. Surprisingly large amount of them were swigging from large bottles of beer - all ages and both sexes. Fine but when they wanted to relieve themselves they simply went in between 2 vehicles in the long lines of parked cars and pissed. Class place!

Yes, people visit these places- it's the Travellers' Choice Award, based on the best reviewed places on Trip Advisor. So the award comes specifically from people visiting these places.

This list is a complete laugh.

Who the &lt;deleted&gt; is travelling or wants to travel to Marrakech, Morocco??? What's there to see? A medina and a market place. Even BKK has it.

I am missing some real destinations with real visitors.

I also think that some border town on the Turkish - Iraq or Turkish - Syrian border has more "tourists" than Marrakech, Morocco.

A great restaurant is one that I decide is great.

A wonderful beach is one that I deem wonderful.

A good movie is one that I label as such.

A top destination is one that I consider so.

Etc...

While I do visit TripAdvisor and other sites, I take these ratings for what they are...opinions. I tend not to follow and not to believe everything that is written or said.

Utter nonsense. if you are being scammed at every turn, I might suggest you are visiting the wrong places. Stay away from tourist traps because you will get scammed in every city in the world there. Stay away from establishments catering to Westerners because you are asking to be a sucker. Stay away from the sex trade because scamming is what they do. If you live in a nice residential area you will not get scammed everyday. Years in BKK and the worst that has happened to me is 1) paying too much for a Tuk Tuk ride but it was hot and I was lost. 2) having someone over weigh a Dragon fruit and charge me an extra 20 baht.

More often than not, local Thais will always make the correct change and in several cases I have had them chase after me when I gave them an amount that I thought was correct and walked away but change was owed. You are really a cynical, old expat apparently who came to BKK to live as a Westerner. if you hate it here so much...why are you staying ?

Are you seriously suggesting that the average foreign traveller/tourist should avoid the tourist traps in Thailand and should actually "live in a nice residential area"??? Like maybe a nice gated housing estate in Patum Thani? for example? How will this improve their 2 week holiday experience?

• Like 1

I think Bangkok was more that way before and is becoming less chaotic, stinking, dirty and noisy. I've lived in Bangkok for 8 years and hardly ever been scammed and I feel much safer here than most of the other cities on the list.

Anyone who knew Bangkok back 30 years or so would appreciate just how much cleaner, safer, and more tourist-friendly it is today. Especially in comparison to Jakarta and Manila (the #1 and #2 largest cities in SE Asia -- Bangkok is #3), which don't even come close to getting on lists like this one.