TDRI: Thailand needs to improve tourism personnel for upcoming AEC

webfact

TDRI: Thailand needs to improve tourism personnel for upcoming AEC

PNECO580326001000103.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 Mar 2015 (NNT) - The Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) has suggested that the Ministry of Tourism and Sports should develop tourism personnel in order to prepare the sector for the arrival of the ASEAN Economic Community at the end of this year.

Mr. Yongyuth Chalamwong, Director of labor development research at the TDRI, stated the Department of Tourism must cooperate with related units in raising awareness about the AEC’s Mutual Recognition Agreement for Tourism Professionals which allows those working in 32 job titles related to tourism to work in any country in the region.

With a serious shortage of skilled labor in Thailand, the Director said many more foreigners might move in to steal jobs from Thai people. He said Tourism officials should urgently seek to increase both the number and quality of Thai workers to international standard to improve the Kingdom’s competitiveness in tourism.

Director Yongyuth said the Kingdom should make sure that tourism personnel are ready for a fierce competition in the AEC era. He added that the move would help prevent foreign labor with sub-par performance from entering the sector.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-26 footer_n.gif

With a serious shortage of skilled labor in Thailand, the Director said many more foreigners might move in to steal jobs from Thai people. He said Tourism officials should urgently seek to increase both the number and quality of Thai workers to international standard to improve the Kingdom’s competitiveness in tourism.

But how?

Imprisoning slaves on fishing boats?

Anyway, how can foreigners steal jobs from Thais when there is a shortage of qualified Thais?

Teach Thais...

If thats the only solution... your f.........

Here is a thought... Let foreigners do it.. sure a few hundred Thais must go... but the rewards could be more jobs/cash flow with the increase in tourism.... Too Logical?

The Military took over the Police work... I still see the Police driving around, no helmet, ignoring traffic violations and keeping indoors, while chaos reigns outside...

The unqualified tourism Thais can carry the bags and run errands for the qualified foreigners who take over their jobs...

• Like 2

I was just wondering this the other day. I do what most foreigners do who live and work in this country: teach. Inevitably, there is a massive gap between what a Thai can do in the school and what a qualified instructor can do. But I started to ask myself. Why? Why is there a huge difference? Why are Thais deemed so incapable? Surely, they can be trained. I was genuinely and sincerely curious in finding out the answer to this question even at the peril of my own livelihood. Why do I receive 4 times higher salary than my Thai colleagues? I asked a few foreign colleagues and got these responses:

The Thais simply can't do it. (But why?! I implored)

It's a combination of ignorance and arrogance.

I'm not really satisfied with these answers, though.

Why do I teach and my Thai counterparts 'babysit and do admin work?"

I'm not into urban myths, but I've heard that at one point in history China had the opportunity to bring Thailand into the fold of their nation, but rejected Thais because they 'couldn't be controlled.' Is there any truth to this?

It will be interesting to see this country try and compete with personnel who speak English and have a work ethic. It might be nice to actually enter the country and not find an airport employee chatting on her phone whilst her friend combs and braids her hair.

As a true educator, I can't see how Thais are any more incapable or capable of learning than the next country. So what is it? Why do they fall on their faces when faced with regional competition?

• Like 1

Reading this youd think that Thailand is completely clueless about how to run a tourism industry - despite it bring up to 10% of its gdp (at one time before the systematic attack on it).

This is just an effort to bring in Filipinos which will work for nothing, sleep in group housing and be fed mackerel and rice out of a plastic bag.

The world is learning quickly and well shi**y American methods to maximize profits.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

how do you steal a job, when the Thai's are to lazy to try and even apply for a job, let alone the idea of working!

it is just easier to double or triple charge the tourist!

try and teach Thai's how to communicate, learn and speak English!

it is just to easy to sit back and do nothing or get into the begging business!

it is just easier to rip off people!

Just spewing a sound bite

Easy to say "do this and do that"

but no answers in solutions in place

A little late to start planning and plotting now

If they do open up industry to others then Thai people will lose out

as other countries have a better grasp of customer service and customer loyalty

I can see Thailand blocking foreigners working in tourism before AEC comes into effect

I can see Thailand blocking foreigners working in tourism before AEC comes into effect

The most likely Thai response to implementation of the AEC will be "Not ready yet"

Protectionism is the only way to preserve Thai culture "Thainess"

I was just wondering this the other day. I do what most foreigners do who live and work in this country: teach. Inevitably, there is a massive gap between what a Thai can do in the school and what a qualified instructor can do. But I started to ask myself. Why? Why is there a huge difference? Why are Thais deemed so incapable? Surely, they can be trained. I was genuinely and sincerely curious in finding out the answer to this question even at the peril of my own livelihood. Why do I receive 4 times higher salary than my Thai colleagues? I asked a few foreign colleagues and got these responses:

I'm not into urban myths, but I've heard that at one point in history China had the opportunity to bring Thailand into the fold of their nation, but rejected Thais because they 'couldn't be controlled.' Is there any truth to this?

It will be interesting to see this country try and compete with personnel who speak English and have a work ethic. It might be nice to actually enter the country and not find an airport employee chatting on her phone whilst her friend combs and braids her hair.

As a true educator, I can't see how Thais are any more incapable or capable of learning than the next country. So what is it? Why do they fall on their faces when faced with regional competition?

Could it be, the Thai students that have mastered their lessons, show work ethics, a desire to provide excellent customer service.. LEAVE and find jobs and careers abroad.. thus the Brain Drain Syndrome...

Face and corruption... Simple.

Too proud to strive the extra mile, and too easy to cheat your way out of it.

• Like 1

The most likely Thai response to implementation of the AEC will be "Not ready yet"

Protectionism is the only way to preserve Thai culture "Thainess"

Surely you mean Thaichinesemonopolisticbusinesspracticeness