Wanting to extend 6 month tourist visa...

What are my options

at the end of June my tourist visa expires, meaning my 6 months in thailand has been "used"

Is it possible i can get an education visa for 6 months before the expiration date in june?

Otherwise i am willing to hear what my options are for staying longer in thailand

Thank you all

If you've only used one double entry tourist visa, you have lots of options! smile.png

You can still go to Vientiane for another double entry tourist visa, and likely another one in 6 months after that...and quite likely more in the future, though perhaps you'll need to get them from a different location.

Depending on your nationality, you may qualify for visa exemptions which you will get by leaving the country and returning. These are good for up to 30 days (depending on your nationality) and can be extended for another 30 days in country at immigration offices for a fee.

ED Visas are certainly an option, but not the cheapest option unless you are really interested in learning Thai anyways.

If you're mostly interested in an extended tourism/vacation here, just go get another double-entry tourist visa. That's the most cost effective option.

What is your nationality? What are you hoping to do while you're here? The more information you can give, the better the TV community can advise you on your options.

Edited by Tessellation
  • Like 1

If you've only used one double entry tourist visa, you have lots of options! smile.png

You can still go to Vientiane for another double entry tourist visa, and likely another one in 6 months after that...and quite likely more in the future, though perhaps you'll need to get them from a different location.

Depending on your nationality, you may qualify for visa exemptions which you will get by leaving the country and returning. These are good for up to 30 days (depending on your nationality) and can be extended for another 30 days in country at immigration offices for a fee.

ED Visas are certainly an option, but not the cheapest option unless you are really interested in learning Thai anyways.

If you're mostly interested in an extended tourism/vacation here, just go get another double-entry tourist visa. That's the most cost effective option.

What is your nationality? What are you hoping to do while you're here? The more information you can give, the better the TV community can advise you on your options.

Thanks for your response Tess.

Wow! Was definitely not expecting this response!

Would you be able to briefly explain how i can apply for a second double entry tourist visa in Vientiane?

I am American as well. I thought learning thai would be a great option, but i have looked all over, and it seems that you need to do at least one lesson a day for 5 days a week. At less than <2000$ for 6 months. At this point i'm not sure how dedicated i am to learn thai at that pace, but maybe at a private lesson pace =)

Although, now that you gave me these fantastic options, things are looking up!

I love thailand and everything this beautiful country has to offer!

There are lots of good resources here and other places online where you can get more detailed information, but here is the overview.

One option is to take a visa run service. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post referrals here, but if you google "thai visa run" you'll come up with a few companies. They are generally good, though you'll endure a longish bus ride to Vientiane. Most have packages available that include a bus ride, hotel, and help applying at the consulate. For someone new to all of this, it can be a rather good option.

Another option is to do it all yourself. This takes more planning, but it isn't terribly difficult. I'd recommend a train to Nong Khai from Bangkok (or your nearest train station). From Nong Khai, you'll take a taxi to the Friendship bridge and cross into Laos. You'll get a Laos visa on arrival, which costs around $35, at their entry point. Then take a bus service into Vientiane, get a hostel or hotel, and chill (unless you can get to the Thai Embassy in time to drop your application). The next day, take the required documents to the Thai Consulate, and submit your application and the visa fee there. If you're approved (practically guaranteed if you've only had 1 prior visa) then you'll pick it up the next day during pick-up hours. After that, you'll have the visa and you can stay in Vientiane at your leisure until you'd like to return to Thailand (you have 90 days to activate the new visa, so no need to hurry). You'll probably enjoy seeing Laos, and if its up your alley might want to take a trip outside of Vientiane to go float the river, explore, etc. This is the same basic process for any visa run to any neighboring country, although Vientiane is the ideal choice for getting a double entry tourist visa.

I have always done my nearby visa stuff in KL, Malaysia, which is nice because there is no visa needed for Americans so you'll save $35, but I'm not sure about getting a double entry visa there, so if you want double entry I'd highly recommend Vientiane.

Other options include taking a train to Penang Malaysia, which is a cool little town with great street food, but again, not sure how much they give out the double entry visa.

All in all, I'd recommend taking a visa run service to Vientiane. It will make it very easy for you, and you'll learn the process with someone from the agency there to help along the way. They will also advise you on the documentation needed, and help with photos and photocopies if you need them. Really a great option for beginners. In the future, if you decide to stay in Thailand longer, you'll know how it all works and make your own Visa run adventure then.

I'm really unsure about posting links that advocate companies here, so I'll send you a private message with the link to the service I've used in the past. Their website will list all of the costs and paperwork required (very little is needed for tourist visas). You can probably find reviews of the various visa run agencies somewhere on ThaiVisa, but they'll probably all be the same.

Check out the link I send you and feel free to get back to me with any more questions you have.

Cheers

Edited by Tessellation
  • Like 1

Don't waste your time or money with visa run services,

Just read up on doing the double entry tourist visa in Savannakhet (2,000bt for double entry & about 3.000bt expenses of trip & lao visa fee), very easy if do your homework & good little trio for couple of days.

People here will fill in some questions.

You can grab language lessons at your own liking once you got your tourist visa sorted.

• Like 1

Visa run to Vientiane from Udon Thani, question about bus to Nong ...

Novo58 great post brilliant info I have to go next month I have a double entry visa witch I obtained in the u.k first 60 days up 6th of February so I ...
www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794150-visa-run.../page-2

I posted the above not long ago . It starts from Nong Khai, so you would need to get yourself there. as previously stated you can travel to Udon Thani by train, bus or fly. Then a mini bus to Nong Khai.

But the above post details the process from Nong khai

It is not difficult to do it all yourself, no real need for a visa run service.

Best of luck

• Like 1