Cambodia border run by car

AngThong

Need to do a border bouncer soonish.

- Which border crossing do you aim for from Rayong?

- How long does it take?

- What's the procedure at the border?

- Can I cross the border in a Thai-registered (rental) car?

Haven't been to Cambodia before, used to live down South and visit Malaysia.

Thanks wai2.gif

I dont think you can cross the border with a rental car.But if you use the border Ban Had Lek/Ko Kong,you can park your car just left hand side before the immigration post on a guarded parking lot,they are charging 200Baht for 1 day.I used this parking lot many times.

• Like 2

I dont think you can cross the border with a rental car.But if you use the border Ban Had Lek/Ko Kong,you can park your car just left hand side before the immigration post on a guarded parking lot,they are charging 200Baht for 1 day.I used this parking lot many times.

Thanks. Where is this border crossing?

Anybody know if it's easy to park & walk across on other border crossings, particularly those in Chanthaburi?

See these threads in the Cambodia forum re driving a Thai car into Cambodia

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789531-driving-a-thai-car-into-cambodia-car-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682125-rulesprocedures-for-driving-a-car-inotout-of-cambodia/

Long and short of it is: can't, at least not easily. And no reason why one would want to if just making a border run.

There is parking at all the border crossings. And a short walk (usually couple hundred meters) between the Thai and Cambodian immigration check points

• Like 2

See these threads in the Cambodia forum re driving a Thai car into Cambodia

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789531-driving-a-thai-car-into-cambodia-car-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682125-rulesprocedures-for-driving-a-car-inotout-of-cambodia/

Long and short of it is: can't, at least not easily. And no reason why one would want to if just making a border run.

There is parking at all the border crossings. And a short walk (usually couple hundred meters) between the Thai and Cambodian immigration check points

Thanks, much appreciated. We'll walk :)

Hi

Can't answer re car crossing, but for the nearest crossings it would be the two in Chanthaburi

see this thread for details

Easiest Visa Run from Chanthaburi?

Thanks smile.png Hope someone can chime in re. car, otherwise perhaps parking on the Thai side & walking across might be an option...?

Why take the car over just for a visa run,you got legs or somebody will carry you in rot ken.

You can park for free outside the shops, 20 meters before the border, when doing a quick in/out at the Hat Lek / Cham Yeam border.

I've done it myself, with a hire car parked up on the Thai side, but I went with my g.f so the rental car wouldn't be left alone with myself out the country.

• Like 1

Thanks. Where is this border crossing?

Anybody know if it's easy to park & walk across on other border crossings, particularly those in Chanthaburi?

This border crossing is about 150 km from Chantaburi.Of course,if you dont want to stay overnight in Cambodia,you can park for free in front of the shops,just before the Immigration checkpoint

• Like 1

Pics of the two Chanthaburi crossings

Ban Laem/Daung

Ban Pakkard/Prum

Easy at each of them to park car and walk - not that there is anything to see at either one. Both miserable, dirty, grey places imo and make my visits as quickly as possibel

There are minivans at BP that will take you across to a duty free store, at BL can walk - about 200m

tumblr_mdtc3f9Bob1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

Ban Laem

tumblr_m5sc53NBcE1r8w5s5o2_500.jpg

Ban Pakkard

• Like 1

Thanks. Never been to Cambodia before; I'll need $30 and one or two passport photos...?

My 90 day visa run only 2 days ago at the Cambodian border crossing Chong Chom cost me in total 1900 Baht .

Breakdown , 1500 Baht for 1 day visa , 300 Baht for the visa stamp , 100 Baht for agent/helper .

I know that the official cost is 30$ or 1000 Baht but I doubt if you will pay this . Even the very polite and helpful Thai police at the border crossing told my wife that

they have no control over the Cambodian fees but confirmed the above fees which he said were the norm for all Cambodian crossings

Yes , you will need 2 passport type photos , passport , arrival / departure card filled in .

Please let me know how you get on .

• Like 1

Breakdown , 1500 Baht for 1 day visa , 300 Baht for the visa stamp , 100 Baht for agent/helper .

I know that the official cost is 30$ or 1000 Baht but I doubt if you will pay this . Even the very polite and helpful Thai police at the border crossing told my wife that

they have no control over the Cambodian fees but confirmed the above fees which he said were the norm for all Cambodian crossings

Yes , you will need 2 passport type photos , passport , arrival / departure card filled in .

Thanks. Do they accept baht or will I have to have dollars or riel?

So basically I park on the Thai side, get my Thai exit stamp, walk to the Cambodian border guards, pay for my Cambodian visa, presumably get an entry and an exit stamp from them, and walk back to the Thai side? I'll have my 10 daughter yo with me and we're both Swedish. I presume her Cambodian visa will cost just as much as mine?

Thanks. Never been to Cambodia before; I'll need $30 and one or two passport photos...?

My 90 day visa run only 2 days ago at the Cambodian border crossing Chong Chom cost me in total 1900 Baht .

This is about Ban Pakkard, the closest crossing from Rayong:

1900 Baht is nonsense. Just bring 30$ and if they insist on it another 150 Baht or 5$.

Sometimes they try to charge you more when you don't stay overnight, just insist the 150 Baht is already the fee for that. Never paid more. Sometimes I even only paid the official fee.

I don't think you have to go into Cambodia at all, all the visa runs just use the agents next to the Thai immigration window. But this is gonna cost more. I found the duty free on the Thai side (next to the immigration window on the side of the building) cheaper than the shopping van that takes you into Cambodia for shopping.

Edit: And you don't need to bring photos at all. Just pay between 1$ and 100 Baht extra. If you do have one, then bring it, they only need one, not two.

Visa fee for your daughter should be the same.

Edited by wump
  • Like 1

Ban Pakard is the closest, easy to find well signposted, turn right at a set of traffic lights.just after exiting Thailand there is a shop on the left hand side, they will deal with everything was last year 1.400 baht, maybe this year because of the visa increase 1,700/1,800 baht. no walking involved, one photo required. parking is just before the crossing on the right, about 40 baht with a short walk to the crossing. map - http://goo.gl/maps/2RPey car park to your right and crossing straight ahead

edit adjust price.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

Your daughter's visa will cost the same as yours.

You can save time (and passport pages) by getting an evisa online https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Although it says 3 working days it usually just takes one.

True but an evisa is not accepted at all crossings.

Indeed... And the two Chanthaburi crossings don't seem to be included.

Your daughter's visa will cost the same as yours.

You can save time (and passport pages) by getting an evisa online https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Although it says 3 working days it usually just takes one.

True but an evisa is not accepted at all crossings.

Indeed... And the two Chanthaburi crossings don't seem to be included.

Poipet and Hat Lek are the only two land crossings that allow an evisa entry. You can use an evisa for air arrivals PP&SR. You can exit at any land crossing with an evisa.

• Like 1

From Rayong, Ban Pakard and Ban Laem are the best bet. The 317 has been improved no end and you could do either in under 2 hours. I always preferred Ban Laem, there is a large car park with toilets and seating directly opposite the Thai immigration. I have always paid 1400 baht all in, including tip at the desk after immigration, no need for you to go to the Cambodian immigration. The duty free shopping is just across the bridge on the right hand side, by the time you have walked there and back your passport is ready for collection, In and out in about 30 minutes all told.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Ban Laem, very smooth and virtually no queues (Friday afternoon). Paid 1.600 baht for myself and 1.300 for my daughter, had our passports back after about 25 minutes and spent 5 ½ hours on the trip including breaks. Road works on the 317 did cause the traffic to slow down here & there on our way back, looks like much of it will be turned into a dual carriageway. Infinitely better than my experience of the Malaysian border (which tends to be way busier -> slower). Didn't see any other farangs, only locals and a group of young Singaporeans (I think).

Thanks everyone wai2.gif

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 1