Baby elephant exploited for drunk tourist rager

webfact

"Forced it to walk across a wooden bridge over the pool of drunk fools".

Who "forced" the elephant to cross the bridge? Its mahout?

Why these people are called drunk fools?

I see just a bunch of tourist admiring the show

provided for their entertainment. I bet they didn't ask for it

I see no exploitation here and there is no evidence that the guests are fools are drunk.

What a disgusting and very judgmental article.

and if the guests are drunk, I doubt the elephant would care.

Blame the resort and the Mahout , and how do they know these Farangs were drunk? If there tourists which I am sure they are they would think its local custom over here . You can't blame the people, only the circus for the exploitation of animals . Bad Farang man bad.

• Like 1

Phuket beach club lambasted over 'party' elephant
The Phuket News

1427518707_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Pictures of party goers riding and hanging out with a baby elephant at popular Phuket beach club, Nikki Beach, have drawn sharp criticism after they were posted online earlier this week. Now, the beach club has responded with a statement on Twitter.

The photos in question, which Nikki Beach have since taken down after they were posted on Facebook, were shared by the Wildlife Friends Foundation of Thailand (WFFT) on social media which prompted a swarm of negative comments directed at the beach club.

Most of the comments lambast the beach club for animal rights abuse, since the baby elephant is seen walking on a narrow wooden bridg over a swimming pool with party goers on both sides in addition to pictures of tourists on top of the animal.

On Friday (March 27), Nikki Beach released a statement on Twitter that read: “Elephants are a highly respected and regarded symbol of Thailand. As a global company, Nikki beach respects every country's culture and traditions and as such, we fall into the normal behaviors in usage of elephants to represent their culture. We never intended to be disrespectful and/or offend anyone.”

Still, photos of the baby elephant continue to surface with one website, onegreenplanet.org, posting pictures of the animal seeming to help a man propose to his girlfriend and another where a model is riding the elephant.

The WFFT originally posted the photos with this message: “Over the last 24 hours pictures of lavish parties with baby elephants and lots of drunk people have gone viral on Twitter and Facebook.

While on twitter a lively discussion went on, the resort in question 'Nikki Beach Phuket' quickly deleted all photos with the elephants, but we were able to save them before that happened.

Our question now is; What do you think of this? Do you think it is ok to use these young elephants for parties like this, is this legal and/or right? Do you too feel tourists should know better? We would love to hear your views so we can contact Nikki Beach and let them know your opinion. Please share!”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-club-lambasted-over-party-elephant-51622.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-28

while I am normally critically on the use of elephants, but this picture is no proof of any abuse.

It could be that the elephant liked it, they like to play with water.

Or the elephant could be very scared.

But impossible to see from the picture.

And I doubt the elephant cares if they are drunk or not, it isn't the moral police.

Take another look. Is the elephant wet in anyway? NO so not enjoying playing in water.

"Our question now is; What do you think of this? Do you think it is ok to use these young elephants for parties like this, is this legal and/or right? Do you too feel tourists should know better?

This is not the tourists fault, they did not hire/handle the elephant. If Thai people respected these animals so much, why do they keep exploiting them? There used to be a slogan "If the buying stops, the killing stops too", please make a new slogan like "if the riding/shows stops, the humiliation of elephant stops too".

Edited by rasmus5150

The Coconuts article is pretty over the top, perhaps defamatory. I don't like to see animals mistreated. I would point out that what goes on daily in Nongnuch Garden in Pattaya is far worse mistreatment of elephants than what I can see from these photos. I'd rather see social media go after the Garden, but . . . that would probably be ruffling some feathers, or tusks, as the case may be.

Pattaya-Nongnuch-Garden3_zpshqwjkgbk.jpg

• Like 2

>>Our question now is; What do you think of this? Do you think it is ok to use these young elephants for parties like this, is this legal and/or right? Do you too feel tourists should know better? We would love to hear your views so we can contact Nikki Beach and let them know your opinion. Please share!<< Quote from second OP

"Do you fell the tourists should know better?"

No one is questioning the behavior of the Thai owner of the elephant by bringing the animal to the party in the first place!!

while I am normally critically on the use of elephants, but this picture is no proof of any abuse.

And I doubt the elephant cares if they are drunk or not, it isn't the moral police.

Take another look. Is the elephant wet in anyway? NO so not enjoying playing in water.

That doesn't mean anything......you can't judge if the elephant is happy enjoying it, or is forced and afraid from just a single photo.

Here's how they train baby elephants so they can perform. It's call the "crush". Pretty sickening.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152868371324586

Are all elephants trained that way? If so those scum bags deserve an ice pick in their heads!!!!

It's called a bull hook. All mahouts use them. All of them. I couldn't even get through this video:

http://www.peta.org/videos/elephants-in-circuses-training-tragedy/

Great reading...

A bunch of drunks made a baby elephant the highlight of their rager at a lavish pool party.

Whatever a 'rager' is.

And I thought it was now illegal to use Elephants in this way? That it has been banned for years?

I didn't know until i googled it

A larger gathering usually of highschool or college students where massive amounts of alcohol are consumed

Oh come off it. This is no worse than the elephants being exploited on the streets of Thailand. Because the person on the elephant is holding a bottle of bubbly their drunk just like the men, women and children in the pool are. What a lode of tripe.

there were a lot worse photos doing the rounds on Facebook of this baby with a couple of pissheads on it yesterday.

Is this the group that helped that poor gorilla that was caged for over 20 years, in department toward freedom.. if so...good..

Work on the mahout.. rightwhistling.gif

Edited by Rhys

Here's how they train baby elephants so they can perform. It's call the "crush". Pretty sickening.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152868371324586

Are all elephants trained that way? If so those scum bags deserve an ice pick in their heads!!!!

It's called a bull hook. All mahouts use them. All of them. I couldn't even get through this video:

http://www.peta.org/videos/elephants-in-circuses-training-tragedy/

Have just watched the video, now correct me if I'm wrong, lets say you are training a dog, which is a domesticated animal, yes? Ok, so you want to make it sit, so you push it's arse down and say sit. After a while it associates the command 'sit' and does the action.

Now an elephant which is a wild animal, and alot bigger than the biggest dog breed cannot be trained in the same way, seems like the only way is to beat it into submission, this seems to be the case, yes?

its always abusive. the thai trainer stands there and hits and pokes the animal with a sharpened hook. its just how its done. some even think its funny.

Whomever wrote this article demonstrates intellectual furnishment not of the highest order...

The Thai owner is completely responsible for bringing the elephant to this location. Did the hotel call up the elephant owner to come? Another guilty party. I highly doubt some farlang or two said "hey lets invite/book an elephant to a pool party?"

What a piece of writing garbage who lets their xenophobia fully show through...

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Elephants for rent..........who rents out the elephants???

Thai people who don't really care about the Elephant, they just want money. Its ok to blame drunk Tourist who don't know any better, But that's not an excuse for animal

exploitation. and cruelty.