An expert predicts Bangkok will be partly submerged in the next 30 years

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can Bangkok use a Levee system like New Orleans? Will cost lots of money. And it cant save everything.

I am positive Bangkok can use the same system as New Orleans and America and China will be rushing in to pay for it

Could import dykes and ring the entire city with them.

Say, she's cute. On the land subsidence, they've been predicting this for at least sixty-five years. In Mary Haas's "Thai Reader," one of the last selections is a newspaper story from some time before 1950 talking about land subsidence and predicting Bangkok would be underwater in ten years. I remember it was a staple in the English language newspapers 1971-73.

Ought to do like Myanmar and find a site and build a new capital from scratch. Opportunity for planning, sustainable infrastructure development, and a cooler climate with a breeze. Put it somewhere south and west of Khon Kaen.

You don't need to be an "expert" to know that. There are plenty of evidence and research the ocean is rising. What really gets interesting is the predictions are usually wrong. It always turns out later the prediction are revised to be sooner than later scenario. In other words, 30 years could very well be 15 years. Look at the ice cover of the arctic this spring, it's almost 20% less than last year at this time and some of the ice left is very thin already. Bangkok, you are doomed...

Very nice history !!!...except that since almost 18 years, the level of the sea didn't change !!!!

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. It has risen already and has been documented. And it will rise faster as time goes on.

Maybe he's thinking in rounding off miles rather than millimeters.

I wonder if the way the Dutch have managed the problem would work for Thailand. There is about twice as much rain in Thailand than in the Netherlands and that isn't evenly spaced out over the year. That's a lot of rain to drain away and a good portion of it goes through the Bangkok area to the Gulf.

Whether it's flooding from the ocean or flooding from rain, Bangkok is caught in the middle.

We probably have some reasonably well qualified people on the forum who can give some good answers to the water management issue as it relates to BKK.

Every rainy season, this is predicted. I think when I first came to Thailand in 1985, this was predicated. coffee1.gif

Indeed so...and you will recall that in those times significant parts of Bangkok were flooded for weeks every year, including downtown , Silom and many other places, necessitating the use of sandbags and wooden planks to get in and out of many buildings.

Joking aside, do periods of flooding not count as partially submerged? (So she is stating a fact of life that in Bangkok currently exists.)

As for Bangkok itself I always was led to believe that the increase in developing heavier structures on limited land space was having a detrimental effect on the land mass below (compression) and this together with the draining of underground water sources for industry, etc. was sinking the land faster than the sea was rising?

This has been known for more than 20 years why are they talking about it now? Bangkok sinking about 1 metre a year and now all the panic, dont worry dont need farang advice just "Flee the scene"

I don't think this is necessarily about Bangkok sinking but the oceans rising due to global warming. Of course, all of this focus on Bangkok sort of overlooks the fact that Rayong, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc, will disappear first. In fact, most everything (including large parts of Cambodia) bordering the Gulf of Thailand is expected to be underwater.

Building up earth berms or dykes really can't help that situation much since you're going to have flooding from the north and the sea approaching from the south. Unless Bangkok wants to wall itself in and eventually become an island, there is no saving Bangkok unless the seas don't rise as much as predicted.

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

I believe it's 5 meters below sea level Amsterdam is, other parts of the country can't be sure, but do you honestly think the Thais will take advice from another nation in the same position?

Of course they will. They are constantly calling on other countries' expertise for projects beyond their own, BTS, and future Kanchanaburi rail project For example. There are dozens of others.

Edited by F4UCorsair

None of it matters, because as we all know, monks predict the world is going to end at least 3 times per year in Thailand.

I wonder if anyone will dig this woman out and ask her to explain herself if it does not. I love the long term prediction business : absolutely zero accountability to worry about.

• Like 1

Nothing new here ... I remember reading similar predictions from Thai academics in the late 1970s and early 1980s, with warning against building too many tall building in Bangkok ... and look what has happened in Bangkok over the past 30-40 years!!!

What about levees like New Orleans. They dont have the hurricanes here so much. They need to get cracking.

Excellent.....great song by Led Zeppelin ........but it was not their original song......but a great example of Bangkok if they do not spend about 20 billion dollars or more to begin to resolve the problem.

Cheers

This has been known for more than 20 years why are they talking about it now? Bangkok sinking about 1 metre a year and now all the panic, dont worry dont need farang advice just "Flee the scene"

I don't think this is necessarily about Bangkok sinking but the oceans rising due to global warming. Of course, all of this focus on Bangkok sort of overlooks the fact that Rayong, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc, will disappear first. In fact, most everything (including large parts of Cambodia) bordering the Gulf of Thailand is expected to be underwater.

Building up earth berms or dykes really can't help that situation much since you're going to have flooding from the north and the sea approaching from the south. Unless Bangkok wants to wall itself in and eventually become an island, there is no saving Bangkok unless the seas don't rise as much as predicted.

We're doomed, Bangkok sinking, seas rising...... man the boats.....NOW!

Our local (Australia) prince of booga wooga, Prof Tim Flannery (his qualification, incidentally, is mammalogy) the former governments CC 'expert' (hired, no doubt, because he could be bought/ manipulated) forecast multiple dire consequences for Australia, and the world. Google him and his forecasts for a laugh. Not one single forecast has even come close, years after rhe dates he forecast.

Cc is real (as it has changed for millions of years), but on the UN's own figures, global warming is not.

Please tell the Dutch that dykes are not much use...... Also several big rivers end up in the Netherlands, so the situation is not that much different from BKK.

Edited by whatsupdoc

Costas2008, on 27 Mar 2015 - 17:07, said:

"And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for BKK is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with BKK. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.

"For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon BKK, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is in BKK shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.

"And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them.

And Noah brought two of every kind of animal but not all multiplied. The snakes were 'adders', the llamas were gay, and the 'cheetahs' ate all the food.

The 'woodpeckers' were responsible for sinking the ark and everything died.

I think the real problem was the two Chinese and the pair of mosquitos passed the bouncer at the entrance

Edited by Lupatria

Please tell the Dutch that dykes are not much use...... Also several big rivers end up in the Netherlands, so the situation is not that much different from BKK.

I think you're misunderstanding the problem. Dykes would be helpful if the only problem Bangkok faced was water flowing from the north to the Gulf of Thailand. What I'm saying is that dykes are less effective if the water is also approaching Bangkok from the rising waters in the Gulf of Thailand to its south.

I know that some may dismiss climate change estimates because someone made a prediction 20 years ago and it didn't come true but IF most sea level predictions are even remotely true, the beaches in Thailand will be north of Bangkok. The problem in Thailand is that everything is at or below sea level. Not just Bangkok. There's very little high ground to hold anything back.

I'm not trying to be all chicken-little here. Just saying that IF the 3 meter rise in sea levels that climate scientists predict happens, Bangkok is likely unprotectable. The only option will be to move north to higher ground.

"And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for BKK is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with BKK. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.

"For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon BKK, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is in BKK shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.

"And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them.

Costas - you left off Noah's reply

( as per Bill Cosby )

" God, What the <deleted> is a cubit ? "