Cigarette and liquor prices to go up now

Lite Beer

Cigarette and liquor prices to go up now

28-3-2558-10-10-12-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Smokers will now pay higher prices for cigarettes after the Sports Act, which requires tobaccos producers and distributors to contribute to a newly established ‘national sports development’ fund, has become effective.

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly (TTM) says it has announced an increase of all locally-produced and imported cigarettes by 1-2 baht per pack following the publication of the Sports Act in the Royal Gazette on March 20.

TTM managing director said Daonoi Suthinipapant said the Sports Act requires all producers and distributors of tobaccos and alcoholic beverages to contribute to the ‘national sports development’ fund the amount equivalent to 2 percent of excise tax they pay.

Meanwhile, the government is eyeing to increase excise tax on tobaccos and alcoholic beverages by 2 percent, which is also expected to slightly increase cigarettes and boost prices.

The tax hike is expected to push up cigarette price by 1-3 baht per pack.

Price of Thai beers is also expected to increase by 47 satang (100 satang =1 baht) and those of imported beers should rise by 60 satang a can.

Price of locally-made spirits will rise by 79 satang per bottle while locally-made coloured brandy will see a 2.2 baht increase in price per bottle.

Price of foreign coloured brandy will rise by between 5.23 and 8.49 baht per bottle.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cigarette-and-liquor-prices-to-go-up-now

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-28

• Like 1

Fair enough!!

Right place to tax people!clap2.gif

(and yes, I do smoke)

I don't smoke and think (Thai) smokers pay enough tax already. Funny old world...

One of the few taxes, where you have a choice to pay it or not..................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't smoke and drink very little. But as most other incomes from exports, tourism etc being down they have to raise the money locally.

May as well screw the masses.

Probably not a lot of happiness being spread as far as they are concerned

• Like 1

Fair enough!!

Right place to tax people!clap2.gif

(and yes, I do smoke)

I don't smoke and think (Thai) smokers pay enough tax already. Funny old world...

Certainly is. Do you campaign against tobacco tax in your home country to?

I am not in my home country, but if your question is do I think UK smokers pay enough tax, the answer is yes, absolutely.

I like my tobacco and alcohol.

Sports ( watching grown men play with their balls ) do not interest me at all.

I say, let the sport fans pay for their sports.

attachicon.gifDSCF8172.JPG

Now, sport drinking is a different matter entirely...I support that!

ice in the beer blink.png

if there would be naked female soccer I would watch it all day long....

• Like 1

"Price of foreign coloured brandy will rise by between 5.23 and 8.49 baht per bottle"

Is this REALLY a crippling price hike?

I dont expect ANY answers to this, anyway!

cheesy.gif

Edit

I doubt the poor farmers drink this.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by ravip

"Price of Thai beers is also expected to increase by 47 satang (100 satang =1 baht) and those of imported beers should rise by 60 satang a can."

That's a good excuse for many bars to add 10B to every bottle of beer... sad.png

• Like 1

"Price of foreign coloured brandy will rise by between 5.23 and 8.49 baht per bottle"

Is this REALLY a crippling price hike?

I dont expect ANY answers to this, anyway!

cheesy.gif

Edit

I doubt the poor farmers drink this.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

what bottle size?

I like my tobacco and alcohol.

Sports ( watching grown men play with their balls ) do not interest me at all.

I say, let the sport fans pay for their sports.

attachicon.gifDSCF8172.JPG

Now, sport drinking is a different matter entirely...I support that!

ice in the beer blink.png

if there would be naked female soccer I would watch it all day long....

I'm not into soccer but I sure do like the naked news network.

I smoke and I drink........I know I have all the healthy habits.

But I applaud the increase of price for both cigarettes and drinks.

In fact I would say that's not enough.

People are dying every day from those 2 killers.

All greek to me.....efharisto poli wai.gif

The Thai are getting very fat, they better tax all the deepfried food and make vegetables cheaper.

But i smoke taxfree cigarettes only, also taxfree whisky. I will fly more if they raise the tax and all my friends will bring more taxfree into Thailand.

Taxfree tastes the best!

I smoke and I drink........I know I have all the healthy habits.

But I applaud the increase of price for both cigarettes and drinks.

In fact I would say that's not enough.

People are dying every day from those 2 killers.

Yes but they are basically inelastic demand meaning they can increase multiple times and demand will not change much. These are regressive taxes. If you don't want people smoking simply make it a prescription drug where someone smoking can go get prescriptions for cigarettes and kids cannot get any.

• Like 2

So, the price of tobacco, alcohol, electricity and water is going up. And the general is thinking about staying in power for 30 years. If this gets a lot of the insufferable Thai bashers to leave the country, I'll happily support each and every measure.

Fair enough, but what about the poor Thais that don't have the option of leaving and are enduring a cost of living crisis. Do you care nothing for them?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, the price of tobacco, alcohol, electricity and water is going up. And the general is thinking about staying in power for 30 years. If this gets a lot of the insufferable Thai bashers to leave the country, I'll happily support each and every measure.

Fair enough, but what about the poor Thais that don't have the option of leaving and are enduring a cost of living crisis. Do you care nothing for them?

They can grow their own tobacco and brew their own liqor

• Like 1

Could be worse, can you imagain paying UK prices??? NOPE !!!

I certainly can, yes. In the not too distant future too. Alcohol is already not all that cheap by UK standards and tobacco could quickly catch up as well..

Edited by baboon