Activist groups call for sales ban alcoholic drinks during Songkran

Lite Beer

Activist groups call for sales ban alcoholic drinks during Songkran

28-3-2558-10-34-47-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Youth Network Against New Drinkers, and several anti-alcohol groups yesterday asked the Excise Department to ban alcohol sales during the upcoming Songkran festival to prevent and reduce fatal road accidents.

Teerapat Kahawong, coordinator of the groups submitted a letter to Somchai Poolsavadi, director-general of Excise Department, calling on the department to impose a ban on alcohol sales during the ‘seven dangerous day’ of the Songkran Festival early next month.

The activists also called on the department to take harsh actions against shops that sell alcohol to children and young people, by revoking their licences.

They also called on the department to publicise and quickly enforce the Prime Minister’s Office new announcement on ban of alcohol sales on footpaths, trains, railway stations, bus stations and ferry piers.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/activist-groups-call-for-sales-ban-alcoholic-drinks-during-songkran

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-28

Alternatively they can consider reducing 'the seven dangerous days’ of the Songkran Festival to the official 2 or 3 day official period Sonkran.

IMO 2 days is enough for revelry, and logically must reduce the number of 'fatal road accidents'.

(Banning sale of booze won't work/ be enforced - Last Sonkran I was drinking beer, in public with 2 local Thai girls near a police man who politely ignored us, and was then sprayed with water by one of the girls - which he accepted in good humor smile.png )

• Like 2

Wow...submit a letter to some govt agency and provide a copy of the letter to the media...done everyday of the week by various groups for various causes. Then the media decides which letters to turn into news articles....and the media really appreciates courtesy copies of such letters as it helps them meet their daily quota of news if you can call it news.

I wonder if the govt agency has even read the letter yet as they probably have so many to open and read....they'll probably read about it in the news before they get a chance to open the letter.

• Like 1

Its only a matter of time before all the beer bars are closed in Thailand. It happended in PI's once so why not here ? Once they close here they will never return because the land will be redeveloped. I drink but i havent been to bars or pubs for many years in LOS/. Have i missed anything?

Prayuth and the ruling elite dont want farags here. They want their Chinese brethren to bring some desperately needed class to the place. LOL.

Look since 1 either your to stupid to understand or 2 your brain dead, banning the sales won't stop chit they just get few days earlier is all Now enforcing the law against as you cal it drink driving. And handing down hard time if caught that might make them think twice other wise same same different day.

"Activists" are nothing else but "fanatics". The two terms are interchangeable.

I despise one and the other, because their visions are blinkered and myopic, their opinions backwards and puritanically narrow, their reasoning skewed, reactionary and counter-productive.

Yet when something is banned they themselves enjoy doing or experiencing, they are the first to protest the loudest and whine the most, lamenting how unfair it all is.

Idiots.

• Like 1

Is this a new article, or was it from last year, or maybe the year before?

It's an old tradition here.

It's called "Copypaste Journalism" or "Groundhog Journalism"

If I had bought a Newspaper in Thailand in 198whatever and kept it,

I still could read the latest news in there, every single day.

Just occasionally I would have to change names but hat doesn't really

matter, I can't remember Thai names for longer than 24 hours anyway. coffee1.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Mom and pop stores NEVER, EVER follow regulation. They sell booze on HMTK's birthday, as well as Buddha's birthday and all other holy and sacred days. Most mom and pop stores simply do not give a <deleted>. They even sell smokes and booze to minors all day long. But none of this is news to any of you.

Stock up.

My local mum and pop store stocks up every time there is some sort of ban, elections etc can still go there and buy any time and on any day. These bans only really effect the 7/11 or tescos and the like. They are good for small family businesses.
  • Like 2

Stock up.

My local mum and pop store stocks up every time there is some sort of ban, elections etc can still go there and buy any time and on any day. These bans only really effect the 7/11 or tescos and the like. They are good for small family businesses.

Bans probably increase sales.

• Like 1