Riding a Bicycle after a few beers

alocacoc

I cycle a lot in Pattaya from Naklua to Jomtien and everywhere in between. I ride on Sukhumvit often as well. The police completely ignore me and other vehicles give me a lot of space. The only troubling part is when someone opens their door without looking. But you could probably stop in time or not get hurt if you are not speeding, which there is no need to do.

agree with ricacroce, police arent going to give you a second look when on a bicycle. i also agree that amazingly most people give a wide berth apart from side car motorbikes and foreigners on motorbikes that have gone native.. the closest calls i have had in the last few years are older azzhat foreigners driving too fast and too close.

Accidents do happen on bicycles here. Especially when alcohol is involved. But, doubt you'd get fined for being DUI on a bike. But this is Pattaya and stranger things have happened.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694688-german-impaled-on-bike-pedal-on-jomtien-beach-road/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/711450-french-charity-worker-seriously-injured-in-north-pattaya-road-crash/

Your avatar picture and your username are both backwards. You probably don't even realize that. I'd say you shouldn't even get on a bicycle if you're stone-cold sober. Besides, riding a bicycle in Pattaya could be classified as suicidal tendencies at the best of times.

I'm 90% sure you cannot get a DUI, since I was told this numerous times in CM by Thai professionals. Regardless, will you be wearing a helmet? So brain injury is likely. That is much more costly. IF you do have an accident with someone, then maybe they can get you on negligence and sue you. Possible crash and lose teeth, broken bones, etc....or bike stolen, or damaged. and no lights might be an issue, but not a DUI. Techinically, if an American, I thought American rules apply; however, I have to imagine this is not applicable here.....who knows....

my advice: if you are athletic enough to bike, walk. Or walk half way, run the other half. lol.

Guys, i don't plan to drive a bicycle when i mou. I even don't have a bike.I had a conversation on a bar with another guy who use his bike on a daily basis...and he drink.. a lot. I told him at least he should install a back-light on his vehicle. He told me, on a bicycle he is recognized as a pedestrian by the police. Might be. There are some states in the US where it is against the law drink and drive even a bike. I'm not sure, but i believe it's also in some EU countrys like Germany. ,

I used to biking every day back in Europe. Not for the reason to do sport, only for fun, useful reasons and relax. But yes, i see the craziness on the streets here in Pattaya.

Edited by alocacoc

Guys, i don't plan to drive a bicycle when i mou. I even don't have a bike.I had a conversation on a bar with another guy who use his bike on a daily basis...and he drink.. a lot. I told him at least he should install a back-light on his vehicle. He told me, on a bicycle he is recognized as a pedestrian by the police. Might be. There are some states in the US where it is against the law drink and drive even a bike. I'm not sure, but i believe it's also in some EU countrys like Germany. ,

I used to biking every day back in Europe. Not for the reason to do sport, only for fun, useful reasons and relax. But yes, i see the craziness on the streets here in Pattaya.

Nothing wrong with cycling around Pattaya drunk or sober... it's up 2 u.

But regardless of that, anyone riding a bike without any sort of lighting after dark is merely an accident waiting to be happen.

Interesting video. Not much safety equipment on show: no helmets, no high visibility clothing, even for those on motorised bikes. Is that legal in Holland? My problem with cyclists in the UK is that they have no insurance, no test is required and too many have no common sense. Driving on pavements and even on railway platforms is not uncommon.

Interesting video. Not much safety equipment on show: no helmets, no high visibility clothing, even for those on motorised bikes. Is that legal in Holland?

The most motorcycles which you see in the video are maximum 50ccm and max speed is 25 km/h. For this vehicles it's not necessary to wear a helmet. Unless, the rules changed in the past few years....

The title says: Give the bicycle path back to the cyclists.

• Like 1

the last ever time drunk in the bike was 20 years ago in Malaysia.

Result:

The dreaded monnie monster jumped up and grabbed me...

lots of bruises scrapes and dents - but I didn't feel a thing -for a few days...