Neighbour has dangerous dog - options?

andy85

Hi all,

Around one year ago I gave into my girlfriend's nagging and got a dog (Pomeranian...yes I know...). During a walk down the street, the neighbours dog jumped out from behind it's gate and mauled it, and also bit my leg in the process. After negotiating with my gf, the neighbours agreed to pay half the medical bills (vet, rabies injections etc). They kept their gate closed for a month or so, and soon I started seeing it roaming outside again. It's quite aggressive and I've overheard other people complaining to the owner about the dog. It's not a stretch to say the dog could be a danger to small kids walking past.

Fast forward to this week, and some other neighbours seem to have a problem keeping their two Shih Tzu's from escaping though their gate. They needed rescuing twice this week because this dog mauled them (grabbing the neck and shaking it like a rag-doll).

The neighbours seem to not give a f**** about this situation, they actively avoid us (sometimes in almost comical ways), and I'm getting to the end of my tether from patching up bloodied dogs.

Does anyone know the law regarding dangerous dogs in Thailand? Would the police even bother with this?

• Like 1

Option1 - Move - if that is not possible see option 2:

Option 2 - Remove the offending dog (permanently) by feeding it something; and then move (they will know).

Seriously though - dogs learn quick - next time you 'happen' to walk by and it acts aggressively at you, hit it with strong stick/golf club and keep hitting it til it dies or runs away.

Call the Police and report it if it dies - make sure your GF sees everything and backs up your story that the dog attacked (and refers the Police to previous attacks).

If you do kill it - think about the child's face/legs/life you have probably saved - and fark the neighbour's feelings (but watch your back - and maybe move :))

But if the dog runs away you can be assurred it will never attack you again - and it will be reluctant to be aggressive again.

If however it is too big a dog to do that, or you are not happy to do that, then see Options 1 and 2.

I would push for regulations that required all dogs on no more than 6-8 foot leashes on public property and mandatory poop pick-up...

I never see a dog off a leash here in Portland OR (except allowed at their coastal beaches or designated off-the-leash fenced-in dog parks) and well past 90% of owners pick up immediately after their dog's poop...

A nanny state works great for some topics...

In LOS, you won't get regulatory backing so the best to do is record/document history. Is the dog approachable or be befriended by you? Normal dogs who are shown attention/caring/non-threat will eventually recognize you and will change their behavior in one of two ways - recognize you and 1) show no interest in you or 2) actually become friendly towards you for positive attention upon recognition.

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

A dog down the road tried to kill my daughter. I had a word and the muzzled it for a few weeks. Then it was back to normal, out in the street.

I was walking past with my daughter, I had learnt my lesson and was carrying a brick. It went for my daughter again, I smashed it over the head with the brick, many times. It no longer is a problem.

Get all the neighbors together and go talk to them as a group. Modified meat.....the next thing you know.....your dog gets dosed as well. You might even try going to the police as a large group....or talking to the Po Yai Ban.....if there is one.

When the dog is actively biting a person, that is the time to smash/stab/choke and kill the dog. But killing the dog at any other time will cause you more trouble. A heavy club might break his back and cause dog to let loose. Then dog is still alive and you walk away. But dog ain't walkin' no more.

Applaud the guy with the brick.

This is another area where Thais don't seem to comprehend or care how their

actions effect others,even the supposedly intelligent ones,a couple of doors

down,we have a Thai doctor,his wife is also a doctor,and for several years they

just let their 4 dogs,do as they liked,shit everywhere,bite kids,cause accidents

to people riding past on motor bikes,kill cats,injure other dogs,over the years

they had to make payments to people with bites,damaged motor bikes,and vet

fees for other dogs,BUT only THB500 at a time.they were the most hated people

in the MooBhan,but i think they thought they were VIPs,HiSo,and it did not bother

them.

Glad to say,the dogs died ,one by one of old age,and have not been replaced,

recommending poisoning the dogs,is not right,its not the dogs fault,that it has

not been trained,and its a quandary,as no matter how many times you complain

to the owners,it will only last for days, at the most a few weeks,if you are renting

maybe the best solution would be to move,BUT then you may find a Karaoke bar

will open up right next door,there will all ways be something.this is Thailand !

regards worgeordie

The dog attacks your dog or a child and you don't do anything?

I fancy a 9-iron or a pitching wedge to the skull. A driver is a bit head heavy, long and whippy...so the shorter club with the angled head is preferred.

Ffffffffooooouuuuuuuurrrrrrrr.

When I moved into my neibour hood 8 months ago, I met two Falang that warned me about the 11 vicious dogs up the street, one afternoon my wife was on her motor bike and 3 dogs attacked her.

8 months later we have no more Vicious dogs they all enjoyed a modified evening meals.

But becarefull if you get caught hurting a dog you may do some jail time, this is a new law, the dog for some reason is high on the list.

So during the evening feeding time is a good time.

• Like 2

Offer them money to take the dog to live out in the country?

If trying to be nice to the dog fails, I recommend always carrying a stick that you can swing hard and fast. Don't wait until it attacks. As soon as it menaces you, go on the offensive until it turns tail.

When I moved into my neibour hood 8 months ago, I met two Falang that warned me about the 11 vicious dogs up the street, one afternoon my wife was on her motor bike and 3 dogs attacked her.

8 months later we have no more Vicious dogs they all enjoyed a modified evening meals.

But becarefull if you get caught hurting a dog you may do some jail time, this is a new law, the dog for some reason is high on the list.

So during the evening feeding time is a good time.

Juvenal response Jordy.

I am sickened by all the violent suggestions. Its a dog. Your human. Figure it out ! By the way, any damage done by the owners dog(s) to be paid by the owner. Recently had my chihuahua bitten 4 times by a sneaky mix breed. I insisted the owner pay all vet costs and she did. The next weekend she took the dog for a ride. Haven't seen it since ( one month).

Hit the owner in the wallet not the dog in the head.

That's fine if the owner agrees to pay, Thai or Falang. Good luck "insisting" with some irresponsible owners who could tell you to take a jump. Your other option taking legal action to retrieve your costs would be a waste of time if you had no witnesses,even then you would be fortunate to get a positive verdict.

Its one of the downsides of living in Thailand and its not just related to Thai dog owners.Many people should simply not have a dog or dogs and there's the soi dogs which are rampant in some areas

I am amazed that most of these posters come from a law and order society but quickly develop a cave man mentality to deal with dog problems...

it sure reinforces that notion the Thai culture brings out that dog eat dog mentality.. Another check mark for Thomas Hobbs' philosophy on mankind...

CB

I am amazed that most of these posters come from a law and order society but quickly develop a cave man mentality to deal with dog problems...

it sure reinforces that notion the Thai culture brings out that dog eat dog mentality.. Another check mark for Thomas Hobbs' philosophy on mankind...

CB

If the law fails to protect us and others don't take responsibility for matters under their control then what options are there?

1) Be a victim

2) Go to a place where the laws are enforced or people are more responsible

3) Deal with the problem yourself but be prepared to accept the consequences

• Like 1

Your Pomeranian needs a little friend. Suggest German Shepherd puppy. A noble breed that is instinctively protective of home and family. The dogs will get along fine.

One it is big enough you will have no more issues.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not going to prepare a special steak for it, as I wouldn't put it past the mad old woman next door to return the favour to our dog. We have a small townhouse so a big dog isn't an option unfortunately, although I would love one.

I think I'll try to organise a pow-wow with the moo-bahn chiefs and her, with the ultimatum either the dog stays inside their yard permanently or the local cops pay her a visit and go home a few baht richer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not going to prepare a special steak for it, as I wouldn't put it past the mad old woman next door to return the favour to our dog. We have a small townhouse so a big dog isn't an option unfortunately, although I would love one.

I think I'll try to organise a pow-wow with the moo-bahn chiefs and her, with the ultimatum either the dog stays inside their yard permanently or the local cops pay her a visit and go home a few baht richer.

Seriously, good luck with that approach. It seems a sensible option but only if our neighbours are sensible people which does not seem to be the case.

Unless they move house, I have a gut feeling that will be your best option. It doesnt feel good to be effectively driven out, but this situation is unlikely to improve I think.

I know there are a lot of dog lovers around, but many owners are just totally inconsiderate and their dogs are just a menace to other people.

Hope it all works out for you though.

I had a Japasese Akita Inu, back in the UK - your neighbour's dog wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds if he'd been agressive to him:

attachicon.gifakita-inu-dog-wallpaper-6.jpg

Great dogs. They have been known to destroy pit bulls.

I used to walk a 160 pounder named Hyku.smile.png

Small diversion from topic but there is a great movie about a very loyal Akita : 'Hachi; A Dog's Tale'

Worth watching...