Trang residents duped out of Bt2 million in jobs scam

Lite Beer

Trang residents duped out of Bt2 million in jobs scam
The Sunday Nation

TRANG: -- Twenty residents of Trang's Palian district were duped out of Bt2 million in total after being promised jobs at a soon-to-open community hospital, an informed source said yesterday.

Trang Public Health Office head Dr Withoon Leungdilok set up a fact-finding panel to probe the case. He said a number of villagers turned up at the office last Thursday for interviews and job orientation only to be told the hospital was not yet interviewing people for jobs.

Many of the aggrieved parties yesterday provided information and presented evidence about the scam, including money transfer slips, to provincial health officials. They said they were promised jobs at Hat Samran Chalermphrakiat Hospital after each person paid an agent up to Bt80,000. The hospital is located near their homes.

They plan to file police complaints.

Withoon said the first he heard about the matter was on Thursday. If any official was found to be involved, they would face criminal charges, he said. And the fact-finding team found that two Palian Hospital staff members, one at Hat Samran Hospital and a private hospital executive were involved, he added.

One duped person, Ura Sanphetch, 47, said she received a phone call offering her an administrative job at the new hospital if she paid for it.

She said in February she paid Bt20,000 to a woman named Wandee at Palian Hospital, with the woman handing the cash to another female official at the hospital, before handing over Bt10,000 later in the same manner.

Ura said she was also asked by another woman, who worked at Hat Samran Hospital, to pay another Bt5,000 so a private hospital executive could issue a letter guaranteeing her work at the new hospital for 10 years.

Ura said she quit her job because she expected to start her new job on April 1.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Trang-residents-duped-out-of-Bt2-million-in-jobs-s-30256972.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-29

Who "pays" for a job ?

Who "pays" for a job without a formal interview ?

Who "pays" for a job in cash to an alleged official ?

Who "pays" for a job in a hospital that hasn't even opened ?

Is this "the norm" in Thailand ?

The only "norm" I see here is yet another "scam".

Edited by Pattaya28
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who "pays" for a job ?

Unfortunately, yes, quite often, it's the norm.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So they've filed a police complaint after admitting they paid a bribe in return for a job?

Unfortunately there are many unaware folks who aren't educated enough to repeat / conduct your analysis (which I agree with), plus they are aware that many many folks got

jobs through this sort of activity, they see it as normal.

• Like 1

I know of an attractive, sexy, but not too smart woman who couldn't pass the exam to be a Civil Servant. So she went to the office she wanted to work at and "passed" it on her knees in front of the head man. Now, every Friday, after everyone else leave, she is required to provide the same service. Says she doesn't care, that he has a really small penis, and she can get him off in about 30 seconds. To her, it's worth that to have the job. On the other hand, she may be smarter than I give her credit for. lol

• Like 1

You "buy" the job and position, then you buy your promotions. Completely normal in the Land Of Scams. I seriously doubt you can show me one Civil Servant, Cop or Military man who hasn't achieved his/her rank and position by any other means, because it's obvious as hell they didn't earn them on merit.

My Thai wife has worked for both the RTP and as a civil servant. She paid absolutely nothing for both jobs.

Who "pays" for a job ?

Police and other government officials mostly, also teachers and some private sector. And later you have to pay to get promoted (why do you think there are thousands of unnecessary generals in Thailand?)

This is a venerated and revered practice, deeply rooted in the culture. It's purpose is to weed out capable and talented personnel and to promote a self-propagating system.

You "buy" the job and position, then you buy your promotions. Completely normal in the Land Of Scams. I seriously doubt you can show me one Civil Servant, Cop or Military man who hasn't achieved his/her rank and position by any other means, because it's obvious as hell they didn't earn them on merit.

My Thai wife has worked for both the RTP and as a civil servant. She paid absolutely nothing for both jobs.

Very good. Happy for you both. But, here's the question: Did she get anywhere beyond her initial pay grade? Or did she, purely on merit and great work, move up the ladder? whistling.gif

Are you positively absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt????? See Post # 9tongue.png

Very good. Happy for you both. But, here's the question: Did she get anywhere beyond her initial pay grade? Or did she, purely on merit and great work, move up the ladder? whistling.gif

She got one promotion as a Civil Servant but then resigned after we got married.

Are you positively absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt????? See Post # 9tongue.png

Absolutely positive. My wife even exposed corruption in her office when she became aware of it. Result was threats from her boss who was in on the scams. I'm proud of her that she saw the whole thing through and it was her boss who was forced out.

when you have to cough up many tens or hundred thousands baht for a job.... did they mean, no degree or bought one, so they can buy also a job ? corruption is alive & well

stupidity also

Edited by maidee