Thai govt defends record on abuse of fishermen

webfact

Govt defends record on abuse of fishermen
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- SOME media outlets have been reporting "half-truths" about the government's move to stamp out human trafficking in the fishing industry, Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd, deputy government spokesman, said yesterday.

Had those media outlets covered the story "in proportion and appropriately, and on a timely basis" since the previous government took it up, the matter would not have caused trouble today.

"The current government is pursuing the issue. Those media should have covered the issue comprehensively, on the basis of the national interest," he said.

A television channel has run a documentary on how Thai trawler crews having been mistreated and left behind in Indonesia.

The expose infuriated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, leading him to claim that such a negative slant would threaten Thailand and other countries in the region with a further downgrade in Trafficking In Persons reports. Last year the US State Department demoted Thailand to the lowest level - Tier 3.

The current government had assisted stranded Thai crewmen in a sustainable manner, and in greater numbers than what the previous government achieved on a case-by-case basis, he said.

Nopphadol Kannika, an adviser to the Labour Ministry, said that out of the 869 trawlers inspected to date, the current government had punished 65 since the military seized power last June.

The previous government only inspected 152 trawlers in nearly three years in office.

"Legal action was taken against the operator of one trawler (during the previous government)," he said.

The suppression of abuse on trawlers would be more effective only when combating abuse of workers and underage workers together.

The Labour Ministry has issued updated regulations specifically designed to fight human trafficking that were put in place by the current government, but effective enforcement would deal with the issue comprehensively, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-defends-record-on-abuse-of-fishermen-30257027.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-30

In all fairness Who patrols the waters? Why isn't the question more on the lines who wasn't doing there job? In the US we have the coast guard which patrols our water's andthe Navy both which fall under homeland security. Either can and do check boats in our waters, But at issue is the fact the fishing boats use slaves for there operations. That being said are any of the current rich fishing companies owner being held to account on there fleet's? Are the books of these companies being checked even? What about buyers of these fish shouldn't they at least put forth an effort to stop the injustice. If I had a company here knowing full well that how some boats operate I would demand to see the paperwork for the crew and make damn sure crew was being treated properly and being paid. or they wouldn't being selling me there haul. Isn't there a port authority here which checks paperwork of boat crews? My questions need answering It is good the PM is pushing hard on this but it needs to be a lot harder like holding to account who is in charge of patrolling the waters This issue just didn't happen last night been going on for years. It all comes down to a word Thai's have no concept of" ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS" to hell with face cause you end up taking out your arse.

• Like 1

A television channel has run a documentary on how Thai trawler crews having been mistreated and left behind in Indonesia.

The expose infuriated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, leading him to claim that such a negative slant would threaten Thailand and other countries in the region with a further downgrade in Trafficking In Persons reports. Last year the US State Department demoted Thailand to the lowest level - Tier 3.

1. Dude, you are at the lowest level, you can't be 'threatened wit a further downgrade', so stop your choleric acting.

2. Dude, you have the government's TV channels, just make your own documentary on how the trawler crews are really treated, complete with kisses and flower greetings when they start their day..., it's an opportunity, you dig?

Every one of them throughout Thailand's history is complicit in this barbaric issue, RED'S YELLOW AND CURRENT, are as guilty as sin,

Spout all the numbers you like, BUT IF you really wanted to do something about it then get bloody serious and do it instead of lip service. put the slaver in gaol for life and the traders along with them, make it very public and you might just save a little face.................

Slavery was abolished decades ago by the royal decree, so why are these people that get caught trafficking in slaves not charged with LM????????????

I think that Thaksin led governments are more infinitely more culpable as they clearly did little in the majority of the time they were in power (80%). It seems that Prayuth is the ONLY person in the last decade and a half that has done something about it so why the flack all of a sudden when it is undeserved and totally unjustified!! He should be receiving praise not criticism.

• Like 2

Stupid of the general (I am pro junta) to complain about the truth and saying it should stay hidden because it could damage Thailand. They should just solve the problem then it cant damage Thailand.. I think this is just an attitude of Thais. Hiding is better as making effort (and loosing money) to do it right.

• Like 1

Too much talk, It's time for the Western countries to completely ban Thai seafood imports. May have to ban imports from other SE Asian countries as well to prevent Thai slave labour seafood coming in through the back door.

Wouldn't go down too well with Walmart, Sysco and all of the other US retailers that source their seafood from these 'slave ships' to fill their shelves with their products!!

Stupid of the general (I am pro junta) to complain about the truth and saying it should stay hidden because it could damage Thailand. They should just solve the problem then it cant damage Thailand.. I think this is just an attitude of Thais. Hiding is better as making effort (and loosing money) to do it right.

Hiding!!! What as hiding in Dubai.

Stupid remark.. sure YL and PTP did nothing before.. but now its time to act and stating that reports like this should not be made because it could damage Thailand is crazy. That is asking to hide the truth and not taking action. Sorry I am pro junta.. but that does not mean i condone it all. Here he just needs to act.. and not hide the facts. Sure he gotten the mess from YL but that does not mean that he should suppress information and do nothing.

• Like 1

More meaningless lip service from the powers in a (too?) late attempt to save 200 billion baht worth of exports!!

Time to stop the blame game!! Mr P the ball is in your court now. Act accordingly!!

Stupid remark.. sure YL and PTP did nothing before.. but now its time to act and stating that reports like this should not be made because it could damage Thailand is crazy. That is asking to hide the truth and not taking action. Sorry I am pro junta.. but that does not mean i condone it all. Here he just needs to act.. and not hide the facts. Sure he gotten the mess from YL but that does not mean that he should suppress information and do nothing.

ALL governments hide things and LIE on news that will damage national security and are rightly protective of their industries.

Prayuth has a point, something (that has just been brought to his attention) will create negativity in those areas where people's jobs are at stake ............and there are a lot!!

This is why he suppresses the press as they are only there to make problems for the government by telling half truths and downright lies on occasions as well as distorting facts because they are not supporters of the government or are intent on disrupting his work.

He has done more in his time (less than a year) than governments have before him in attempting to clean up the fisheries - why is it his fault all of a sudden when it has been going on for years?

Other governments would have done the same - even Germany, Britain and the US. Covering up embarrassments is not uncommon it is almost a requirement, neither is trying to protect peoples livelihoods when the problem is no fault of theirs.

ALL governments hide things and LIE on news that will damage national security and are rightly protective of their industries.

Prayuth has a point, something (that has just been brought to his attention) will create negativity in those areas where people's jobs are at stake ............and there are a lot!!

This is why he suppresses the press as they are only there to make problems for the government by telling half truths and downright lies on occasions as well as distorting facts because they are not supporters of the government or are intent on disrupting his work.

He has done more in his time (less than a year) than governments have before him in attempting to clean up the fisheries - why is it his fault all of a sudden when it has been going on for years?

Other governments would have done the same - even Germany, Britain and the US. Covering up embarrassments is not uncommon it is almost a requirement, neither is trying to protect peoples livelihoods when the problem is no fault of theirs.

Sorry mate 2 wrongs dont make a right. I know other goverments do the same Wikileaks anyone. However that does not make it a good thing.

Plus its hard to deny that this is a Thai thing.. just look at the aviation industry.. now they get bans they wake up. Thais only seem to respond to threats. So actually i hope they get downgraded its the only way to change things. If you don't hurt them nothing will change.

Goebbels would be proud of you.................................coffee1.gif

Very little except uninformed slagging off by the experts so far,

Try reading the report in todays BKK post : War on human trafficking.

That will give you some actual numbers as to what has been done so far in these ongoing investigations.

General P would have generated a lot more respect and credibility internationally if he had admitted the shortcomings and problems Thailand has in this area. Now he comes across like a man about to sweep the facts under the carpet.

Plus, it would have helped if the government had kept everyone updated - "869 trawlers inspected to date, the current government had punished 65 since the military seized power last June" albeit some may have considered it propaganda.

• Like 1

More meaningless lip service from the powers in a (too?) late attempt to save 200 billion baht worth of exports!!

Time to stop the blame game!! Mr P the ball is in your court now. Act accordingly!!

If the figures are correct, it seems that action has been taking place.

One can argue that neither the Democrats nor the PTP gave detection and prevention of human trafficking any priority over the last 10+ years. But one cannot argue that throughout that time, it has been the Thai military's responsibility for the security of the nation, whether on land or sea.

Where has it been where the military expressed to those governments its concerns and/or solutions to human trafficking that violates the sovereignty of the nation that it has sworn to protect? How often has the military expressed its outrage against continued human trafficking in Thailand? When has the military requested and been DENIED the necessary assets to interdict, and prevent human trafficking through the nation's borders?

Only now, when the economic security of the nation is at risk under a military rule, does General Prayut start to take baby steps to address trafficking. However, noticeably almost nothing that touches the military establishment has come to light, albeit the arrest of a single, unnamed naval officer. The Thai navy in 2013 filed defamation suits against Reuters and two of its Thai reporters regarding an investigation into the Thai navy's implication into human trafficking rackets. To this day the lawsuits are still active. The military refuses internal scrutiny.

I suspect that if General Prayut and the NCPO had not overthrown the PTP government, they would have remained MUTE on human trafficking as they seemingly did during the Yingluck regime. And with the constant threat of a coup, the Yingluck adninistration would have never considered ruffling the navy's duck feathers with any serious support against human trafficking. More likely generals like Prayut would just respond that human trafficking was a political issue that is not meritorious of military involvement.

• Like 1

General P would have generated a lot more respect and credibility internationally if he had admitted the shortcomings and problems Thailand has in this area. Now he comes across like a man about to sweep the facts under the carpet.

huh... yea, yea, ..... dat damm bush again , yea bush did it ....blame it on him, thats what "our" fearless leader does when shxt starts to go south. ...:-)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Too much talk, It's time for the Western countries to completely ban Thai seafood imports. May have to ban imports from other SE Asian countries as well to prevent Thai slave labour seafood coming in through the back door.

One thing we all know , they sure like to talk but don't do like to do the walk, that would indicated a pulled hamstring of the heart