Despite economic slowdown, tourism is booming with sharp increase in arrivals

webfact

Despite economic slowdown, tourism is booming with sharp increase in arrivals

30-3-2558-15-41-10-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Most economic figures from VAT and exports to consumers’ confidence index for the month of February were on the decline with the exception of tourism industry which saw a sharp increase of 29.6 percent of tourist arrivals number 2.69 million.

And for the first 13 days of March, tourist arrivals shot up to 11 million people representing 27.6 percent jump, said Mr Krisda Jinavijarana, head of the Fiscal Economics Office.

For the month of February, exports shrank by 6.1 percent and expansion of consumption on the private sector also shrank as witnessed by VAT collection which increased only 2.4 percent compared to 9.5 percent increase in January.

Consumers’ confidence index dropped to 68.4 for two consecutive months due to economic slowdown and price drops of all agricultural products.

Private sector’s investment continued to slow down in February and sale of cement fell by 2.4 percent.

On the contrary, import of consumer products such as electrical appliances, garments, shoes and fruits increased by 32.5 percent.

Mr Krisda said that in April his office would readjust the economic growth rate forecast presently set at 3.9 percent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/despite-economic-slowdown-tourism-is-booming-with-sharp-increase-in-arrivals

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-30

And for the first 13 days of March, tourist arrivals shot up to 11 million people representing 27.6 percent jump, said Mr Krisda Jinavijarana, head of the Fiscal Economics Office.

Eleven million people arrived in just thirteen days, if we are to believe him, no wonder that beach was crowded !

Is there anyone left back home in China ? laugh.png

Or is there simply a worrying shortage of locally-manufactured decimal-points, for officials' use, in public-announcements ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

Bused around Chinese package tours are great for the numbers but they don't get the cashflow of the European, Singaporean, Australasian and North American tourists that are staying away. Spend any time in the malls or restaurants of Bangkok and you'll see a rather different picture.

Exactly, we walked around in Siam Paragon yesterday and noticed that many jewelry shops (the expensive ones) were closed! On a sunday. That's not a good sign.

Also there were not many westerners at all. We also noticed that prices for topbrands (designerstuff from Europe) cost much more then back in Europe. So the low euro didn't make the prices drop at all.

Rich tourists will avoid Bangkok and fly to London, Paris, Rome....Cheap chinese come to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Was at King Power duty free complex next to The Pullman Hotel in BKK on Saturday. The place was invaded by Chinese and the level of noise could give you migraine. Luckily they have a member's lounge for a hasty retreat :D

I just wish that you would tell immigration at Swampy Airport that there is a sharp increase in arrivals. Maybe they put all their immigration officers at the arrival desks, because at the departure area there are super long queues with more than 90 min. waiting time. That means there is no time to shop or eat in the airport, no wonder the economy is down.

• Like 2

Tourist numbers are UP (at least according to TAT), but spending is DOWN. Humm, what's that tell you????

You got here before I did. Reading the topic I was also wondering about how booming the income generation by all those tourists was.

But then, I'm known to have the wrong attitude rolleyes.gif

I just wish that you would tell immigration at Swampy Airport that there is a sharp increase in arrivals. Maybe they put all their immigration officers at the arrival desks, because at the departure area there are super long queues with more than 90 min. waiting time. That means there is no time to shop or eat in the airport, no wonder the economy is down.

Ah, but the departure queue just keeps tourists in thailand a bit longer. Give them the opportunity to admire the World class airport, buy some OTOP premium priced goodies, etc., etc. You shouldn't under estimate the value of that wink.png

Ah, but the departure queue just keeps tourists in thailand a bit longer. Give them the opportunity to admire the World class airport, buy some OTOP premium priced goodies, etc., etc. You shouldn't under estimate the value of that wink.png

How, if they are stuck in queues?

• Like 1

And yet just a few days ago:

"The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) has indicated that the confidence index of tourism operators is still at a normal level but admitted that this year’s tourism revenue could be lower than targeted due to economic slowdown ...the revenue generated will likely be around 1.28 trillion baht, falling short of the target of 2.2 trillion baht [for 2015]."

Mr Krisda better plan on LOWERING the economic growth rate forecast presently set at 3.9% for 2015 to something more realistic, like 2.5%. In comparison, on 3/27/2015 Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula stated in the 2015 Asian Investment Summit that Thailand’s economic growth this year would likely be around 3%.

Thailand has become the Hub of Economic Cheerleaders.

Bused around Chinese package tours are great for the numbers but they don't get the cashflow of the European, Singaporean, Australasian and North American tourists that are staying away. Spend any time in the malls or restaurants of Bangkok and you'll see a rather different picture.

Exactly right. I have a friend who runs a guesthouse who frequently complains about cheap, demanding Chinese tourists and misses the good old days of western tourists. Another friend has a couple of restaurants and he has less kind things to say about the Chinese. Even budget western backpackers are big spenders compared to the Chinese.

Tourism if up from what baseline? Are they saying numbers were better than a year ago when protests were shutting down government and a good part of Bangkok?

This kind of comments will not amuse Mr P !!whistling.gif

Tourist numbers are UP (at least according to TAT), but spending is DOWN. Humm, what's that tell you????

You got here before I did. Reading the topic I was also wondering about how booming the income generation by all those tourists was.

But then, I'm known to have the wrong attitude rolleyes.gif

Join the club..........from Thainess to Thailess!

So the huge number of Chinese tourists only benefit a few Chinese Thai businesses. Maybe when the "Quality Tourists" arrive they will spend a few more baht and help out the local people.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thoust arrive thence must leave, they never seem to put 2+2 together, that includes my favourite, flood mitigation, whatever that is.

How, if they are stuck in queues?

Let go of these negative waves, baboon. Some out-of-the-box thinking. Let's implement a queue to get a number for the departure queue rolleyes.gif

I am just perplexed by the 'economic downturn they keep referring to?

USA 3.5% growth rate - record performance for more than a decade

UK - 2.5% growth rate

EU - forecast 1.3 growth rate (2015)

China - 7% for 2105

India - 8% growth for 2015

The downturn is here in Thailand - not those pesky foreigners, who seem to have turned a corner.

Quote: "with the exception of tourism industry which saw a sharp increase of 29.6 percent of tourist arrivals number 2.69 million".

Well the small businesses here in Patong aren't seeing them, or at least not seeing the money they should be spending. Many are struggling and reckon that the "high season" never really got started and the "low season" has been here for a couple of months.........

Never mind, always some farang willing to "invest" in a failed business as witnessed in my Soi just recently.

• Like 2

The mentality is quite amusing on TVF.

While tourism was recovering after May 22nd, 2014 the comments were "The Junta have destroyed tourism" and "The tourists have made it clear that they don't support a military take over"

When tourist levels reached its highest level ever in December, 2014 and is continually on the rise the comments are "Is it Monday already" or "These are not the quality tourists Thailand want"

Amazing (falangs in) Thailand.

Nothing positive to say so dismiss this success with utter nonsense.

Luckily I present facts as opposed to beliefs to back my argument.

Well done on the Junta for being able to recover the tourist industry from the near death plunge it was in pre May, 2014.

post-140765-0-35223800-1427776116_thumb.

Every thing else is down, but tourist arrivals are hitting the roof!!

Conclusion: The arrivals don't spend any money.....................coffee1.gif

They spend their money back in China with their Tour Operators and only a 'Select Few' get the benefits in Thailand...

for 12 years i spending my Song Khran on some iland,

many years a problem to get still a Hotel if you short on time,

yesterday, Song Khran only a week away,

practically NOT ANY Hotel full booked;

129 still available in KPG;

300 in JT or 500 Pattaya;

animal stalls are filled full by some Northern country,

blocking any tourist sight place with terrible behaviers,

Thai will loose soon all wealthy tourists,

They will get a 4th worl tourist destinations,

The mentality is quite amusing on TVF.

While tourism was recovering after May 22nd, 2014 the comments were "The Junta have destroyed tourism" and "The tourists have made it clear that they don't support a military take over"

When tourist levels reached its highest level ever in December, 2014 and is continually on the rise the comments are "Is it Monday already" or "These are not the quality tourists Thailand want"

Amazing (falangs in) Thailand.

Nothing positive to say so dismiss this success with utter nonsense.

Luckily I present facts as opposed to beliefs to back my argument.

Well done on the Junta for being able to recover the tourist industry from the near death plunge it was in pre May, 2014.

djjamie - beleave you aren't a chinese tourist,

you beleave tourist arrivales counted by banks !!

or you prefer TAT ?

or you trust our eyes ??

I never seen so many hotels vacant and bitterly waiting for guests !!

"" TOURISTS ""