Working but Over 60

Gtto

I am currently working as a scuba instructor with a current work permit. I was told by my employer that I would have to pay taxes but it seems that because I am 63 I don't have to pay anything. The other instructors I work with got some kind of card allowing them to get medical care but I got nothing. I really don't understand it all.....What do I need to do to get a card that lets me into the hospital system? Hopefully someone knows what I am trying to explain....

• Like 1

The card is social security and the max you pay is 750 baht a month, you may not need to pay tax but check for social security as its a handy thing to have incase of accidents.

Or it could be a private health scheme provided by your employer but id guess is SS

"Does not matter what age you are you still have to pay tax and as a foreigner you have to earn 50,000 Baht/month minimum (depending on nationality) so that is what tax is paid on"

That salary requirement is just to get an extension from immigration.

• Like 1

"Does not matter what age you are you still have to pay tax and as a foreigner you have to earn 50,000 Baht/month minimum (depending on nationality) so that is what tax is paid on"

That salary requirement is just to get an extension from immigration.

That’s correct, there is no minimum wage for foreigners, but you may not get a permission to stay based on Work Permit if your tax (income) is under a certain amount. A bit confusing, also when you read various advise – I myself have been in the faith that is was a government minimum salary requirement.
Social Security is 10 percent of the salary, where normally the employer pays half, 5 percent, and the employee the other half, 5 percent of the salary. The Social Security percentage change every year, some years it has been 8 percent, at the moment it is 10 percent. The maximum is 1,500 baht, i.e. 750 baht for the employee, and I think there also is a minimum of 500 baht total, i.e. 250 baht for the employee. Social Security gives you a hospital card and other benefits, which also count for foreigners with a Work Permit. The One-Stop-Office at the amphor may have a very informative and well-written English leaflet about Social Security for foreigners with Work Permit – they had it earlier. I don’t recall if there is a maximum age, i.e. 60 years, for attending the scheme, but may well be.