Singer Joni Mitchell hospitalized in Los Angeles

Lite Beer

Singer Joni Mitchell hospitalized in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Joni Mitchell was hospitalized in Los Angeles on Tuesday, according to the Twitter account and website of the folk singer and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, but details on her condition have not been released.

"Joni has been hospitalized," said a statement on the Mitchell website. "We are awaiting official word on her condition and will post it here as soon as we know."

Los Angeles fire officials said paramedics answered an afternoon 911 call in Bel Air, where Mitchell lives, and took a patient to the hospital. But they could not verify her identity.

The 71-year-old singer-songwriter told Billboard magazine in December that she has a rare skin condition, Morgellons disease, which prevents her from performing. Still, she released a career-spanning four-disc box set last year and appeared at Clive Davis' annual pre-Grammy party in February.

Mitchell has received eight Grammy Awards, including a lifetime achievement award in 2002. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

She started her career as a street musician in her native Canada before moving to Southern California, where she became part of the flourishing folk scene in the late 1960s. Her second album, "Clouds," was a breakthrough with such songs as "Both Sides Now" and "Chelsea Morning," winning Mitchell the Grammy for best folk performance. Her 1970 album, "Ladies of the Canyon," featured the hit single "Big Yellow Taxi" and the era-defining "Woodstock." The following year, she released "Blue," which ranks 30th on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time."

Mitchell has released 19 original albums, the most recent in 2007. The anthology released last year, "Love Has Many Faces: A Quartet, A Ballet, Waiting to Be Danced," features remastered versions of 53 of her songs.

Her musical style integrates folk and jazz elements, and she counts jazz giants Charles Mingus and Pat Metheny among her past collaborators.

As with music, Mitchell taught herself painting as a child and has produced hundreds of works in ink, watercolour and acrylic.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-01

Morgellon's disease, which Joni Mitchell says she has, is actually not a real condition, but represents a sort of delusion that people have of tiny fibres growing out of their skin.

It's more a psychologicall condition than a physical unfortunately...

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

Always loved Joni as a musician and am sure she's lovable as a person. She had a lot of famous musicians as boyfriends, not least Graham Nash, who she inspired to write "Our House" after they went out together in L.A. and stopped at a yard sale to buy a pretty vase. Quite a gal !

• Like 1

Morgellon's disease, which Joni Mitchell says she has, is actually not a real condition, but represents a sort of delusion that people have of tiny fibres growing out of their skin.

She does have tiny fibers growing out of her skin.... "Blue" is a great album, court and spark too... Hissing of summer lawns covered in Jazz by Quincy Jones ....cool.

Grew up 35 miles from her. One line from a song she wrote I always remember when i hear her name is " They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" I believe that is from "Big Yellow Taxi" but not sure.

You must be from near Saskatoon? I believe she is from there and when we listened to that song we used to think if that nice Capital Theatre they foolishly tore down in Saskatoon.

• Like 1

The latest opinions on this suggest you are wrong.

The latest opinions on this suggest you are wrong.

[video link removed]

Not going to get too involved in this, but I mean seriously, a TV program is not any sort of evidence for anything, and especially not current scientific opinion!

A review last year in the American Journal of Dermatology, a highly regarded, peer-reviewed journal actually represents the latest opinions, at least the ones that derive from actual clinical research:

1. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014 Apr;15(2):71-6. doi: 10.1007/s40257-014-0071-y.Information, consent and treatment of patients with Morgellons disease: anethical perspective.Söderfeldt Y(1), Groß D.Author information: (1)Institut für Geschichte, Theorie und Ethik der Medizin, Medizinische Fakultät der RWTH Aachen, Universitätsklinikum Aachen, Wendlingweg 2, 52074, Aachen,Germany, [email protected] is a medically contested diagnosis with foremost dermatologicalsymptoms. [...]it is generally held to be a variation of delusionalparasitosis/delusional infestation, which is usually treated with antipsychotics.[edit]PMID: 24671866  [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I came upon a child of god

He was walking along the road

And I asked him, where are you going

- Joni Mitchell

Get well soon!!

...and he told me.

He said I'm going down to Yasgar's Farm

gonna join in a rock and roll band

and maybe by the time I get there

I'll set my soul on fire....

....and we got to ourselves - back to the garden.

note from Boomerangutang: I've taken that song literally ever since. Not only have I joined in dozens of r&r bands, but I've been developing gardens ever since 1970. Possibly 3000 trees planted since then.

• Like 1

Grew up 35 miles from her. One line from a song she wrote I always remember when i hear her name is " They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" I believe that is from "Big Yellow Taxi" but not sure.

You must be from near Saskatoon? I believe she is from there and when we listened to that song we used to think if that nice Capital Theatre they foolishly tore down in Saskatoon.

Not Saskatoon. She was an Alberta girl. Fort Macleod.

She is one of the few musicians that I enjoy almost all of her music. Most musicians have a few great songs, but she has so many and even those that aren't so great, I still like them.

One of the singers I could always listen to.

Get well soon.

From Wiki:

Morgellons (also called Morgellons disease or Morgellons syndrome) is a condition whose sufferers have the delusional belief that they are infested with disease-causing agents described as things like insects, parasites, hairs or fibers, while in reality no such things are present.[1]

Sufferers may exhibit a range of cutaneous symptoms such as crawling, biting, and stinging sensations (formication), unusual fibers in the skin, and persistent skin lesions (e.g., rashes or sores). These symptoms have been identified by a range of medical experts[2] including dermatologists,[3] entomologists,[4] and psychiatrists,[5] as consistent with delusional parasitosis (DP or DOP).[1] Some cases of self-diagnosed Morgellons have been more accurately diagnosed as known skin disorders.[3]

The name was coined in 2002 by Mary Leitao,[6] whose "Morgellons Research Foundation" and its self-diagnosed patients successfully lobbied members of the U.S. Congress and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to investigate the condition.[2][7] CDC researchers issued the results of their multi-year study in January 2012, indicating that there were no disease organisms present in Morgellons patients, the fibers found consisted mainly of cellulose, which the CDC suggested were likely cotton, and concluded that, in these respects, the condition was "similar to more commonly recognized conditions such as delusional infestation".[8][9]

Weird..... Never heard of this one before...

Not Saskatoon. She was an Alberta girl. Fort Macleod.

You are correct but her family moved to Saskatchewan at a very young age and to Saskatoon when she was just 11. It was her that her music blossomed.

Edited by losworld

It's been a while, back in the 1990s I had people tell me there is some sort of things we all have in our bodies that had something to do with processed food, or something. The way to get rid of them was to get this electrical device that zaps them. People showed me their skin where there were little singe marks where the things were. Is this related to it? Does anyone know the name of this philosophy?

I never bought this idea for a second, outside of maybe an X-Files episode. Of course, there was a book that explained it all. The thing was the people that told me about this (four, I think) weren't hippie or new age types, more like the kind of people you'd meet in a bowling alley or bar.