Thailand's Mobile Phones Now 10-digit Numbers - Total Confusion

george

Thailand's mobile phones now 10-digit numbers - total confusion

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): Last night Thailand's mobile operators changed all Thai mobile numbers from 9-digits to 10-digits numbers. The 9-digit based system will be intact until November 30, to make it easy for the customers.

But you don't need to do anything to continue to call out and receive calls, but you will need to edit your own phone book to include the extra "8" digit for Thai mobile phones.

A lot of confusion has occured because of conflicting information in the media. So here is the lowdown:

1. You do NOT need to visit any AIS, DTAC or True etc. service centre!

2. Your mobile number currently works with both the old number and the new number (until Nov 30, 2006):

Example:

If your old number was, for example: 01-5432109 your new number is now 081-5432109. Both will work until November 30, 2006 so no worries.

3. You propably have a lot of Thai mobile numbers stored in your mobile or SIM-card. You are advised to manually change all Thai mobile numbers to include the "8" as in the example above.

(You can of course visit your mobile shop to do this for you, but it's not mandatory.)

4. Number presentation (CLID): You might not yet see the new "8" when someone is calling you from another Thai mobile, but it may work within a few weeks.

5. Soon you will receive a SMS message from your mobile provider to change your SMS settings to include the extra "8" in your phone setting for "SMS Service Centre", but you can leave that for the next few weeks.

6. Please inform you international phone friends and collegues of the new situation. As the example above, you international phone number was +6615432109 - now it is +66815432109

The alteration of local mobile phones to the 10-digit system is to cope with the kingdom's expanding demand for mobile phone services in coming years, according to the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

-- thaivisa.com 2006-09-01

//edit - fix a typo

//

Really usful info George, thanks , nice one.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting confliciting answers...

Do we or do we not have to go to a service center to change SIM cards?

to answer your question.....YES, you do need to go to a CENTRE[correct spelling] to change SIM cards!!!

BUT, you do NOT need to change your SIM card....which has been said many many times ...read the posts carefully!

Again. :o

There is no technical reason for the SIM to have to be upgraded or changed to facilitate this additional digit. The only way the phone would stop working after December 1 is if the provider switched it off.

I do wonder if behind this 'upgrade' there is a desire to complete the failed registration programme by stealth.

Regards

PS Center or Centre it depends on the side of the pond you come from.

OK, we could discuss the whys and wherefores until the cows come home but why the "total confusion"? We were given ample warning about this; we were told that our mobile phone numbers were to be changed to 10 digits from 9; we were told that the extra digit would be an 8 and we were told where to stick it.....and we have also been given a 3-month change-over window.

Surely if we have enough technical savvy to sign in to and post an item or reply on TV. com, then we have the technical ability to understand how and when to change our mobile numbers and those mobile numbers in our phone books. :o

Do you remember when domestic lines changed to include the provincial number every time? Calamity and confusion reigned then but it was a breeze and we've forgotten all about it now. For goodness sake, I explained it on paper to my 4-year old daughter and she was spot on knowing how to do it for all my mobile numbers.

to answer your question.....YES, you do need to go to a CENTRE[correct spelling] to change SIM cards!!!

BUT, you do NOT need to change your SIM card....which has been said many many times ...read the posts carefully!

The number of your mobile phone is stored in the NAM (Number Assignment Module) which can be on the phone or the SIM card. This number has to be updated in order to receive calls after Nov.30!

The NAM can only be updated at a service CENTER or via Internet if the phone has the capability. You can not update the NAM from the key-pad.

On the later model phones you can get into the NAM and view your assigned number, it will show the 9 digit number unless you have upgraded the phone.

opalhort

Whilst this information is interesting, I am of the view, though it is a long time since I waded through the ITC GSM specs, that it is not relevant to this number change.

Given the way numbers are managed within GSM, basically at the centre, I say again, that there is no technical reason for the SIM to be 'upgraded' or edited by the service provider, except by remote, to allow it to receive and make calls after the number change.

My view remains that the aim is to assist in registering and further clarifing the network.

A question :-

Is there anyone here who was in the UK for PhONE day in 95 since I don't recall having to do anything to my GSM cellular phone to accomodate the number change then [04xx to 0774xx]. Anyone else?

I do understand that it is possible that the GSM system is managed here differently from locations such as the EU, but it would strike me as odd, would it not you?

Regards

The number of your mobile phone is stored in the NAM (Number Assignment Module) which can be on the phone or the SIM card. This number has to be updated in order to receive calls after Nov.30!

The NAM can only be updated at a service CENTER or via Internet if the phone has the capability. You can not update the NAM from the key-pad.

On the later model phones you can get into the NAM and view your assigned number, it will show the 9 digit number unless you have upgraded the phone.

opalhort

The above information is erroneous.

The Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) does what it says it does. Your SIM is specific to your account and mobile number. The SIM replaces the NAM (Number Assignment Module) that other digital phones use.

Updates are only to 'phone book information' held on the SIM card: which you can do yourself, unless you have no fingers and an IQ of less than 70.

opalhort

The above information is erroneous.

The Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) does what it says it does. Your SIM is specific to your account and mobile number. The SIM replaces the NAM (Number Assignment Module) that other digital phones use.

Updates are only to 'phone book information' held on the SIM card: which you can do yourself, unless you have no fingers and an IQ of less than 70.

I stand corrected :o , got this info from the Nokia web site in the US.

opalhort

George, you got the story better than a certain News Paper today.

It is very simple.

Old number 01 234 5678 New Number 081 234 5678

Same with 03 nnn nnnn becomes 083 nnn nnnn

Same with 04 nnn nnnn becomes 084 nnn nnnn

Same with 05 nnn nnnn becomes 085 nnn nnnn

Same with 06 nnn nnnn becomes 086 nnn nnnn

Same with 07 nnn nnnn becomes 087 nnn nnnn

Same with 09 nnn nnnn becomes 089 nnn nnnn

(n means any number from 0 - 9)

//edit : Bold the additional number for the phone numbering plan

Well, we did have a team of three techs, upstairs in the FC working it all out. In fact it was done and dusted in under four *changs*

Simple ? No problem ? Yeah, RIGHT! Yesterday I went to make a call and looked at my SIM card contacts. I got the message that the SIM card was not ready. I changed to the phone memory and everything worked fine. I did add the 8 to all my numbers and then went to copy from the phone memory to the SIM memory. When I pressed copy I again got the message that the SIM card was not ready. I called AIS 1175 and the girl told me to turn my phone off then turn it back on. That got my SIM card working again and I was able to copy all the changed numbers from the phone to the SIM card. The on-line sites say my phone is not included. It is a Nokia 6230. I guess the next stop will have to be a service center. :o

Just back from Chiang Rai, DETAC update. So funny. The young girl had a card reader, attached to her com. Yes sir update complete, only add the 8 to existing numbers on the sim. No need to go anywhere, u can do it by ur self. BTW it dont update numbers in ur phone memory. Just apoint of info.

i wonder if you do go to a service centre and they do an update to all the numbers you have stored on your sim - does it just update thai based numbers or all numbers ?

This may cause some further confusion as to why you can call international numbers after wards or short numbers within thailand - also as stated above numbers in phone memory will not be changed.

My feeling is better to change your self or even have 2 numbers for each contact - one with an 8 and one without so that with CLID your phone will pick up the contact regard regardless of when the CLID change is made. Then after the final switchover date, delete the old numbers.

DTAC have yet to change the number on voicemail and on the missed call sms but it is early days yet

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/05Sep2006_biz15.php

COMMUNICATIONS / MOBILE PHONES AND NETWORKING

Over half a million throng AIS, DTAC shops to upgrade phones

SRISAMORN PHOOSUPHANUSORN

Mobile-phone users swarmed AIS and DTAC shops between Friday and Sunday amid fears that they would not be able to receive calls once the new 10-digit numbers took effect on Sept 1 if they failed to have the SIM cards upgraded.

More than 610,000 people sought to upgrade their SIM cards at the shops of the top two operators during the three days from Sept 1, the first day the industry started providing free update services for the new 10-digit system.

However, mobile users have until Nov 30 to upgrade the SIM cards before they will be not able to receive incoming calls.

A total of 32 million users, both prepaid and postpaid, have to place an 8 in the middle of the existing two-digit prefix to make mobile-to-mobile calls. Numbers starting with 01, 09 and 06 will become 081, 089 and 086.

International calls to local mobile numbers will also have to have 8 inserted after the country code: 661-234-5678 will now become 668-1234-5678, for example.

For mobile-to-fixed line calls, the numbers will not change.

Since last Friday, all new mobile subscribers have been put on the 10-digit system.

Sunti Medhavikul, chief customer officer of DTAC, said consumers were confused and feared they would be left out.

He said the overwhelming response resulted in a temporary shutdown of the service at two DTAC shops in southern provinces due to the overloaded card-reader system.

Wichian Mektrakarn, the president of Advanced Info Service, suggested it was not necessary for all mobile-phone customers to physically come to the operators' shops because they could always edit the numbers in their handsets' phonebooks by themselves.

As well, AIS customers with Symbian phones can upgrade their SIM cards by using their handset to log on to http://

www.ais.co.th/10digits.

DTAC customers can do the same at www.dtac.co.th or www.happy.co.th and downloading the "Add 8" program.

i wonder if you do go to a service centre and they do an update to all the numbers you have stored on your sim - does it just update thai based numbers or all numbers ?
Sunti Medhavikul, DTAC’s Chief Customer Officer - "The software is intelligent enough to convert only mobile phone numbers while leaving the rest, be they fixed line or overseas numbers, intact,” said Sunti.

This may cause some further confusion as to why you can call international numbers after wards or short numbers within thailand - also as stated above numbers in phone memory will not be changed.

My feeling is better to change your self or even have 2 numbers for each contact - one with an 8 and one without so that with CLID your phone will pick up the contact regard regardless of when the CLID change is made. Then after the final switchover date, delete the old numbers.

DTAC have yet to change the number on voicemail and on the missed call sms but it is early days yet

I have about 6 or 8 sim cards (including non Thailand ones). Wonder if they would mind doing them all for me :o

IMSI=International Mobile Subscriber Identifier. This is what GSM knows you as, and sometimes its printed on the SIM card. First 3 digits of the IMSI is the country code; next 2 digits is the operator code. 52001 is AIS, 52018 is DTAC, 52099 is True. You can lookup MNC and MCC on the Internet. Funny thing is the MCC for the US is 310. Not saying the Americans are slow or anything...

IMSI is converted to a phone number by the Home Location Register in the operators core GSM network. HLRs are designed to be high performance databases, so these number changes are easy to do. Hence changing from one number to another is a doddle; I mean they probably assigned the additional number some time back and will wipe the old number when they feel like it.

Interconnects between operators and routing is more tricky...

Just for info, I did update my sim as you know. today tried many times to call my wife phone. Cannot get throu. OK try old way manually without the 8 no problem. Shit whata mess, my advise dont change anything till they force it on u. Cheers

Ladies & Gents,

Over the years i have given out my Thai business card featuring, of course, my 9 digit mobile phone number. Would i be correct in assuming that now i have to contact all those people to whom i have given a business card, just to tell them that my number has changed? Surely not!

Surely when people call me on my old 9 digit number my service provider (Orange/True) will have the facility to "re-route" the call to the 10 digit number?

Can anyone answer this please?

Surely when people call me on my old 9 digit number my service provider (Orange/True) will have the facility to "re-route" the call to the 10 digit number?

Yes, until 30 November 2006, after which callers need to dial the 10 digit number in-country, or add the "8" when dialling in from outside Thailand.

Might be a good time, and a good reason, to get back in touch with your contacts?

Yes, until 30 November 2006, after which callers need to dial the 10 digit number in-country, or add the "8" when dialling in from outside Thailand.

I wonder if they will setup a canned message if someone does use the old number to inform the caller of the change and to add the 8?

I would also be pleased if someone could answer the question regarding the "canned message" too. In the UK they did attach a canned message when phone numbers changed. So it is possible, but not probable, that it will happen in Thailand too. It seems shocking to believe that they wouldn't attach a canned message, doesn't it! It's impossible to contact all those people, to whom we've issued business cards, just to tell them that one's number has changed!

Spiffing bugger! I'm about to roger myself with my monocle.

....IMSI is converted to a phone number by the Home Location Register in the operators core GSM network. HLRs are designed to be high performance databases, so these number changes are easy to do. Hence changing from one number to another is a doddle; I mean they probably assigned the additional number some time back and will wipe the old number when they feel like it.

Interconnects between operators and routing is more tricky...

So true, so true. The HLR also does the Insert Subscriber into the correct location and the provision of a roaming number.

I think you might find that some carriers had selected ranges of IMSI's working on the new numbering plan for several months :o

The conversion of the DB's is a doddle for the Euro / Scando / US designed HLR's as you said. The conversion of the "Chinese" HLR may be a little more problematic :D