CB and CBR owners, do you all have small feet?

AllanB

Checking out a Honda CB300 today, I have size 45 feet (UK 11) and even with shoes on find it really difficult to change up and not that easy to change down, since the levers are so short.

Now I guess most of you safety conscious guys are wearing bikers boots riding these bikes, which are somewhat bulkier than my leather shoes, so how do you manage?

If I buy this bike I will certainly have to have the gear shift modified, which isn't difficult, but haven't heard any mention of it here.

LOL, Allan, will you ever find a bike that fits you? 45, you have real monster feet! laugh.png

I have 44.5 and have no problem on my CBR150 even using work boots incl. steel caps. You will get used to it...

• Like 1

Do some exercise to build your strength.

Or maybe a surgeon could trim your toes back some.

What does strength have to do with it, there isn't enough room to get my toes quickly and comfortably underneath the lever?

I think a simple extension to the lever is slightly easier than a foot shortening/thinning exercise and then I would have to have my left shoe altered, no no, it's all too difficult. Stupid idea Papa.....

I ride my NV quite comfortably and even the Wave his okay, although it does have a heel bar, just surprised no one else has found this to be a problem on a CB/CBR300 at least and don't think 44/45 (US11.5 to 12) is particularly big for a farang's feet. Plus armoured boots would be even bulkier.

Do some exercise to build your strength.

Or maybe a surgeon could trim your toes back some.

What does strength have to do with it, there isn't enough roomarrow-10x10.png to get my toes quickly and comfortably underneath the lever?

I think a simple extension to the lever is slightly easier than a foot shortening/thinning exercise and then I would have to have my left shoe altered, no no, it's all too difficult. Stupid idea Papa.....

I ride my NV quite comfortably and even the Wave his okay, although it does have a heel bar, just surprised no one else has found this to be a problem on a CB/CBR300 at least and don't think 44/45 (US11.5 to 12) is particularly big for a farang's feet. Plus armoured boots would be even bulkier.

I'm not surprised.

You are... well ...unique!

• Like 2

Just stick a short piece of rubber hose over the shift lever to make it larger and easier to get to... A trick I learned from the Thais, but they do it so they can wear flip flops and still shift gears without tearing up their toes...

• Like 1

Yes you will get used to it after a little while.

So how did you find the CB300 to ride otherwise?

I haven't ridden one yet, they don't have demo machines in Khon Kaen, so the plan is to hire one in Chaing Mai and do the Mai Hong Song Loop, that autta test it. Just sitting on it, well it is by means perfect, but I keep coming back to it, as there is nothing else, certainly not at the price, which is extremely low for a Jap bike.

So I guess I will have to do a couple of simple mods, as I plan on buying boots and there is now way they will fit.. not expensive and reversible, by buying a new gearshift.

Unlike cars and pushbikes everything is fixed on a motorbike, in a car/bike I can adjust the seat, even steering wheel/handlbars to make it fit, but on a M/C you have to try and find a model that fits you. With all these bikes built for smaller Asians and me being a lanky bar-steward, with big plates, it is a problem.

Edited by AllanB

Where do you put your foot on the peg AllanB? I've got 45's and just finished 12 days on my CB300F- the MHS loop and north before returning to Rayong via Nan and Loei. I never had any problem shifting, but I ride with the ball of my foot, not the arch, on the peg (except maybe for long straight highways for a change of position) and so my left foot has to move in order to shift up or down anyway- in other words it is never trapped under the shift lever or resting on top of the shift lever, it just goes there to shift and then back to the peg.

Yes you will get used to it after a little while.

So how did you find the CB300 to ride otherwise?

I haven't ridden one yet, they don't have demo machines in Khon Kaen, so the plan is to hire one in Chaing Mai and do the Mai Hong Song Loop, that autta test it. Just sitting on it, well it is by means perfect, but I keep coming back to it, as there is nothing else, certainly not at the price, which is extremely low for a Jap bike.

So I guess I will have to do a couple of simple mods, as I plan on buying boots and there is now way they will fit.. not expensive and reversible, by buying a new gearshift.

Unlike cars and pushbikes everything is fixed on a motorbike, in a car/bike I can adjust the seat, even steering wheel/handlbars to make it fit, but on a M/C you have to try and find a model that fits you. With all these bikes built for smaller Asians and me being a lanky bar-steward, with big plates, it is a problem.

But the CB300 isnt built for small asians. Its just a small bike.

So you not even rode the CB300 but realized there is a problem with the gear shift lever while sitting on the bike? Its one of the humans strength to quickly adapt to changing conditions. Even if the lever is different from your current bike you will get used to it quickly. You should trust the members on this forum in this.

Or your problem is something different? Maybe you would prefer a new reliable cruiser style big bike but dont want to spend the money for what is available in Thailand? Then you may never be happy with a bike like the CB300.

>Just sitting on it, well it is by means perfect, but I keep coming back to it, as there is nothing else, certainly not at the price, which is extremely low for a Jap bike.

What exactly is your problem? Maybe you should fill in your own data at cycle-ergo.com and share a picture with us so we can understand (metric prefered as we are in Thailand and most countries use metric).

post-129800-0-19136600-1427955008_thumb.

The problem is the gap between the peg and the end bar, it is quite difficult to get my toe through the gap. My foot must be at quite an acute angle for it to fit through and under. I plan on using this bike in the town traffic, leaving the Wave for the Mrs, so lots of shifting.

Leaving the Wave to one side as this has a heel shift too for going down, my NV 400 is easy, I leave my foot under the shift until I reach O/D, or whatever gear is I need and then ride with my foot on top. The NV has at least 5" between peg and bar, whereas the CB has only about 3"

I have just noticed too that the peg/rubber is much bigger/longer on the NV, so may maybe I go around and under, rather than lifting my foot and poking my toe through. but I certainly put my arches on the pegs, rather than toes, which is much more relaxing.

Anyway I get the message and maybe after a proper test ride, all will be revealed.

Thanks for the comments.........

Am I missing something here----- I had the same problem with a Phantom and just moved the gear lever one or two serrations up on the splined drive.Surely you can do the same and it takes literally a couple of minutes----Dougalcoffee1.gif

Am I missing something here----- I had the same problem with a Phantom and just moved the gear lever one or two serrations up on the splined drive.Surely you can do the same and it takes literally a couple of minutes----Dougalcoffee1.gif

I had a Phantom and that had lots of space between peg and lever bar, as it was a "cruiser" style machine.

I assume that you are proposing adjusting the lever so that the end is slightly raised, allowing the foot to be inserted more easily? But that surely creates another problem, with the end of the gearshift now higher than the peg, I will have my foot resting on the gearshift the whole time and going over a bump, I am likely to inadvertently change down. Or I must ride with my foot under the gearshift, possibly trapping my foot in the event of an accident.

Or am I missing something? coffee1.gif