Norwegian arrested in Phuket for visa overstay

Lite Beer

Norwegian arrested in Phuket for visa overstay
Darawan Naknakhon

1427885602_1-org.jpg

Mr Hermansen will be charged with staying in the Kingdom illegally.

PHUKET: A Norwegian man was arrested in Talad Neua today (April 1) for staying in Thailand illegally after his visa had expired.

At 1pm Immigration police arrested Hermansen Arnt Egil, 33, from Norway on Maeluan Rd in Talad Neua. Lt Col Teanchai Chompoo said the arrest came after police were patrolling the area to check for tourists who might be break immigration laws.

“Officers came down to Maeluan Rd and spotted Mr. Hermansen. He acted suspiciously so they approached him and asked to see his passport. He failed to do so, so he was taken to the Immigration Police Station,” said Lt Col Teanchai Chompoo.

After checking their records, Immigration police found that Mr Hermansen entered Thailand on December 12 2014 and was due to leave on March 11 2015.

Mr Hermansen was taken to Phuket City Police Station to face his charge of illegally living in Thailand on expired visa.

Mr Hermansen did not deny the allegation of him being in Thailand after his visa expired said immigration police.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/norwegian-arrested-in-phuket-for-visa-overstay-51677.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-01

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW ! When these FIVE guys get home to their wives and families today, they will have a story to tell around the dinner table;

Dad : Phew, I am exhausted. What a day I had!

Son: What happened dad, did you catch a criminal?

Dad: Yes son, but it was touch and go. We didn't know if we could catch him or not.

Son: Oh, oh...... tell us dad, was he a child trafficker? Or maybe a criminal on the run from Interpol, maybe a drug dealer.........come on dad, tell us - what did he do?

Dad: He stayed 3 weeks over his visa limit.

Son: For christ's sake!

Dad: What did you say?

Son: Nothing. Way to go dad, thanks for keeping Thailand a safer place and restoring happiness.

Is there nothing else these guys could be doing? Really? No people smugglers? Illegal immigrants working on plantations for politicians? Slave labor of illegal immigrants on fishing boats? Illegal adoption and smuggling out of Thailand? Nothing else.......................... clap2.gif

>>said the arrest came after police were patrolling the area to check for tourists who might be break immigration laws.

“Officers came down and spotted Mr. Hermansen. He acted suspiciously so they approached him and asked to see his passport. He failed to do so, so he was taken to the Immigration Police Station,”

This is pretty much a copy and paste from the last overstay guy that got pinched a few days ago. Seems police have nothing to do but play "spot the suspicious acting foreigner".

Is it really the police departments main priority to catch immigration offenses, or would that be the immigration departments department?

A message must be sent to these poor backpackers!!! I think one year per one day overstay is a good idea.....with death sentence at 31 days. This is not Thailand's problem!! They must go back to their country!!!!

sorry, that was my crazy personality.......let me try again. Thailand, why don't you spend time looking for real criminals and leave these humans alone!!! He wasn't hurting anyone!!! He was buying fruit and being a productive member of the farang community!! Have a heart...

sorry, that was my liberal personality.....let me try one last time......I want computer chips in the heads of everyone off the plane!!! Make sure they have 1,000,000,000 baht in their account and every day overstay is 100,000 baht.....oh wait.....i'm getting crazy again......it's kind of more fun when typing..........i will pay his overstay, send me the bill!!!

Maybe, just maybe, pictures like the above should better be hung up in all the bars........... photoshopped with "Quotes" like:

"Conclusion: the place where you got tired of thinking" .....or

"Don't judge a farang by his visa" ....or

"With a calendar, your days are numbered" ....or my favourite:

"VENI, VEDI, no VISA"

....anyway.....great news.

A message must be sent to these poor backpackers!!! I think one year per one day overstay is a good idea.....with death sentence at 31 days. This is not Thailand's problem!! They must go back to their country!!!!

sorry, that was my crazy personality.......let me try again. Thailand, why don't you spend time looking for real criminals and leave these humans alone!!! He wasn't hurting anyone!!! He was buying fruit and being a productive member of the farang community!! Have a heart...

sorry, that was my liberal personality.....let me try one last time......I want computer chips in the heads of everyone off the plane!!! Make sure they have 1,000,000,000 baht in their account and every day overstay is 100,000 baht.....oh wait.....i'm getting crazy again......it's kind of more fun when typing..........i will pay his overstay, send me the bill!!!

He could have got off his lazy ass & gone on a visa-run, very cheap & easy from Phuket to Malaysia,facepalm.gif

I have zero-sympathy for these people.coffee1.gif

>>said the arrest came after police were patrolling the area to check for tourists who might be break immigration laws.

“Officers came down and spotted Mr. Hermansen. He acted suspiciously so they approached him and asked to see his passport. He failed to do so, so he was taken to the Immigration Police Station,”

This is pretty much a copy and paste from the last overstay guy that got pinched a few days ago. Seems police have nothing to do but play "spot the suspicious acting foreigner".

Is it really the police departments main priority to catch immigration offenses, or would that be the immigration departments department?

Did you read the article? It was the immigration police.

I can't believe all the people who have no sympathy or want to say "rules are rules", this is just a short overstay and now this poor guy has to go through an arrest and detention. Honestly, 3 weeks could be a genuine mistake, I have known people get confused over the difference between visa and entry stamps and accidentally overstay 3 weeks.

So the police patrol and look for criminals,they see a guy who acts like he is nervous.

Ask him for his passport and take him to the station,he is on overstay!No he is not a murderer or wanted by Interpol,he overstayed three weeks.

What should they do?Let him go?

Same as speed checks,when you are over the limit you are over the limit.

When police does preventive checks like this they will come across people like him,not their fault!

if the police had a purge in pattaya for not only overstays but people living in pattaya illegaly all the so called undesirables they would have a field day all the pimps ponces wasters balloon chasers are all here and they need to be sorted .

I can't believe all the people who have no sympathy or want to say "rules are rules", this is just a short overstay and now this poor guy has to go through an arrest and detention. Honestly, 3 weeks could be a genuine mistake, I have known people get confused over the difference between visa and entry stamps and accidentally overstay 3 weeks.

Yes, like the miscreant pictured looks really confused?

It is 'low' season and the Immigration cops are busy picking the 'low' hanging fruit. The fact that some overstayers must stick out like dog balls to some Immigration cops seems lost on some visitors.

Personally I don't care if anyone chooses to overstay in Thailand, it is entirely their choice. However, maybe the prevailing attitude of being able to pay the maximum fine and depart and re-enter without issue is starting to be reassessed? When they started the clampdown on ED visa abuse last year, they clearly re-stated the options which always said that if you are caught on overstay, regardless if it is a day or 200 days, you will be punished as this chap has recently discovered.

Some jurisdictions will enforce it the same way as some jurisdictions may allow someone to 'negotiate' a solution. It's up to the individual punter to assess that risk. This is Thailand after all.

i think all norwegian people should be locked up, just for being norwegian wink.png and speaking funny ... laugh.png

seriously though, the law is the law, he should have sorted out a proper visa... BUT , no need to make this news ..im sure this happens every day, got nothing better to do, or report??

Barely three weeks overstay...

Catch of the day 1zgarz5.gif

Post of the day.

What does it matter whether it is 3 weeks or 3 years? Immigration police are just doing their jobs and if they weren't you'd be among the first to complain.

Barely three weeks overstay...

Catch of the day 1zgarz5.gif

This. Really don't understand why this is worth a news article, those dumb <removed> have nothing better to do?

Perhaps Thaivisa is reporting it as a warning to those on an expired visa or considering overstaying?

The really dumb ones are the posters who come up with the very original comment that the Immigration Police should have something better to do than to enforce immigration regulations.

WOW ! When these FIVE guys get home to their wives and families today, they will have a story to tell around the dinner table;

Dad : Phew, I am exhausted. What a day I had!

Son: What happened dad, did you catch a criminal?

Dad: Yes son, but it was touch and go. We didn't know if we could catch him or not.

Son: Oh, oh...... tell us dad, was he a child trafficker? Or maybe a criminal on the run from Interpol, maybe a drug dealer.........come on dad, tell us - what did he do?

Dad: He stayed 3 weeks over his visa limit.

Son: For christ's sake!

Dad: What did you say?

Son: Nothing. Way to go dad, thanks for keeping Thailand a safer place and restoring happiness.

Is there nothing else these guys could be doing? Really? No people smugglers? Illegal immigrants working on plantations for politicians? Slave labor of illegal immigrants on fishing boats? Illegal adoption and smuggling out of Thailand? Nothing else.......................... clap2.gif

"Is there nothing else these guys could be doing?"

Do you seriously think that while these officers were doing what they are paid to do and taking care of an overstayer all other operations of the Immigration Police were suspended?

Is there nothing else you could be doing other than posting garbage with a self-congratulatory laughing clapper?

Edited by Sviss Geez