UN Expert slams PM's threat to media

webfact

A UNITED Nations expert on freedom of expression, David Kaye, yesterday urged Thailand to distance itself from the prime minister's intimidating statements against freedom of press, and take immediate measures to allow space for debate and freedom of expression.

Simple solution ... SANCTIONS!

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said recently that journalists who criticised him or "caused divisions" could be "executed", and that he enjoyed "the power to close down the media, arrest people, or order people to be shot".

And this coming from someone who now has absolute power without oversight or restraint.

"There is no sense that General Prayuth spoke in jest," the expert said. "But even if he did, the idea that the killing of journalists - let alone shutting down of media - can be a laughing matter is reprehensible."

He should have continued and pointed out that freedom of the press are the very pillars of democracy and ultimately do not allow politicians to act in a subversive manner for their own personal gain.

• Like 1

A UNITED Nations expert on freedom of expression, David Kaye, yesterday urged Thailand to distance itself from the prime minister's intimidating statements against freedom of press, and take immediate measures to allow space for debate and freedom of expression.
Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said recently that journalists who criticised him or "caused divisions" could be "executed", and that he enjoyed "the power to close down the media, arrest people, or order people to be shot".
And what about the PM's right to 'freedom of expression'? If anyone in the media took his 'death threats' seriously, maybe they lack an adult grasp of the nuances of language such as sarcasm and irony.
Along the same lines, how old is Mr. Kaye BTW? He sounds like a kid as well.

His freedom of expression to take away everybody else's freedom is sarcasm and irony? The irony is that idiotic childlike people have fallen for it. How old are you, by the way?

Me? Old enough to remember Danny Kaye.

Now he was really childlike. What's your excuse?

Shut up son, and eat your meat. If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.

• Like 1

It makes zero difference what any non-Thai says ... Thai's aren't listening and don't care anyway, the non-Thai's opinions or thoughts don't count.

Until such time as there are some serious "consequences" or "actions" they'll simply continue to tell people to mind their own business, until then, the USA, UK, UN et all will continue sucking up to Thailand, business as usual. Lots of talk, next to zero real action.

The only countries Thailand will soon learn they cannot ignore or piss off are China and Japan ... their's going to be some big slapdowns coming to Thailand very soon, and I think Japan quite recently put the "PM" here firmly back in his place when he visited Japan.

And what about the PM's right to 'freedom of expression'? If anyone in the media took his 'death threats' seriously, maybe they lack an adult grasp of the nuances of language such as sarcasm and irony.

When you start defending a man for threatenging to execute journalists and granting himself absolute power, you have lost the argument, buddy.

Buddy? Why, thanks!

Maybe the PM should adopt the Thaksin red terrorist method and launch a few grenades into the crowd - right ? he might even score bonus points and murder a few children nearby followed by rapturist cheering by red leaders and PTP government ministers on the stage of a red rally as we all witnessed last year

I think the PM throwing out a few distasteful jokes pales in significance

Lets not forget what we had in this country before the junta restored some semblance of law and order and stopped the rot

They aren't jokes he threw out, they were threats to any journalist doing their job. Have you even read accounts outside of TV? You're barely informed, it sounds like. Don't forget to mention that he's now voted himself permanent, absolute power.

In other words, your whole argument all along that none of this was going to happen, has been proven false. Instead of showing the character to pause and look at that, you're doubling down on propaganda. I think that shows very poor character on your part.

I do love it when people on the 'same side' start pulling each others hair, don't you?

• Like 1

I read plenty about people hypothesising what Prayuth could do and then half inferring he will.

Yet I have never read a single thing saying that he actually did any of those things.

When the opposition starts getting murdered (like so many of Thaksins critics) then I might change my mind about his ethics. Until then I'll file all your comments under 'H' (for Hypocrites).

The UN should butt out of Thailand's affairs because they do not understand Thai society and it's rampant corruption (which is not to say the UN is not full of it's own variety). I can't think of any benefit they have brought to this world in recent years.

Mr Kate is a brave and probably marked man. Prayuth is not going to take to kindly of this personal criticism. I bet he would love to be able to round him up.

'Just another UN alms-collecting flunky. I doubt the PM will lose much sleep over him.

Maybe the PM should adopt the Thaksin red terrorist method and launch a few grenades into the crowd - right ? he might even score bonus points and murder a few children nearby followed by rapturist cheering by red leaders and PTP government ministers on the stage of a red rally as we all witnessed last year

Lets not forget what we had in this country before the junta restored some semblance of law and order and stopped the rot

More evidence if it were needed that the usual suspects have become hysterical and incoherent as their position becomes politically and morally bankrupt, and internationally derided to boot.

As to the irrelevant "whataboutery", there is no evidence at all to support the assertions.The disruption to law and order before the coup was engineered by those who wanted to end a democratically elected government, not the government itself or its supporters.

In any event the choice is not between the Junta and what went before (whatever one's view of that time).It is between a regressive military government and those who are working for a better democratic future for the Thai people.I fully accept that many initial supporters of the coup form part of the latter group.

It is only those who slavishly accept every pronouncement from the government without thought or caveat that turn the stomach.

• Like 2

I read plenty about people hypothesising what Prayuth could do and then half inferring he will.

Yet I have never read a single thing saying that he actually did any of those things.

When the opposition starts getting murdered (like so many of Thaksins critics) then I might change my mind about his ethics. Until then I'll file all your comments under 'H' (for Hypocrites).

The UN should butt out of Thailand's affairs because they do not understand Thai society and it's rampant corruption (which is not to say the UN is not full of it's own variety). I can't think of any benefit they have brought to this world in recent years.

But it's alright for you to butch and whine about what's going on in Thailand

It's a shame you can't follow your own advice and stop being a Hypocrite!!

The US should butt out, the EU should butt out, Australia should butt out, the UN should butt out... I see a certain pattern emerging here. Soon it will be the planet Tharg that the Drear Leader's crew will be telling to mind their own business. Shut down SETI, now!

Mr Kate is a brave and probably marked man. Prayuth is not going to take to kindly of this personal criticism. I bet he would love to be able to round him up.

What has Mr. Kaye actually done that makes you think he's a brave man?

Mr Kaye is clinical professor of law at the University of California, Irvine, School of Law. He teaches international human rights law and international. He earned his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of California, Berkeley.

His most recent publications include: Archiving Justice: Conceptualizing the Archives of the ICTY, Journal of Archival Science (2014); Stealth Multilateralism: U.S. Foreign Policy Without Treaties – or the Senate, Foreign Affairs (2013); Human Rights Prosecutors? The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, International Justice, and the Example of Syria (book chapter) (2013); State Execution of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, 3 U.C. Irvine Law Reviews 95 (2013).

post-232807-0-42911400-1427963545_thumb.

• Like 1

More evidence if it were needed that the usual suspects have become hysterical and incoherent as their position becomes politically and morally bankrupt, and internationally derided to boot.

As to the irrelevant "whataboutery", there is no evidence at all to support the assertions.The disruption to law and order before the coup was engineered by those who wanted to end a democratically elected government, not the government itself or its supporters.

In any event the choice is not between the Junta and what went before (whatever one's view of that time).It is between a regressive military government and those who are working for a better democratic future for the Thai people.I fully accept that many initial supporters of the coup form part of the latter group.

It is only those who slavishly accept every pronouncement from the government without thought or caveat that turn the stomach.

You forgot to add the "IMO" after your first sentence, and second.

Do you seriously suggest that all the attacks on anti-PTP protesters, the judiciary, and innocent by-standers were carried out by those who wanted rid of the corrupt law breaking Shin regime? Do you really believe that? Got any evidence? (Next you'll be writing it's just coincidental that many of those that opposed or spoke out against Thaksin disappeared or were murdered. Or do you think that was all part of the false flag conspiracy against Thaksin too?).

Who do you see as "those working for a better democratic future for the Thai people?

Seems your last sentence is self reflective - just substitute "the government" with "a convicted criminal fugitive".

In addition to his teaching and research, he has lectured around the world, including at the United Nations and the International Criminal Court. He has taught courses in public international law, international humanitarian law and human rights at Georgetown University, Whittier Law School, and summer courses at the Universities of Toulouse and Amsterdam. He co-founded the International Human Rights Program of the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, and founded its International Justice Clinic, working on projects dealing with accountability for international crimes around the world.

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/DavidKaye.aspx

• Like 1

Mr Kaye is clinical professor of law at the University of California, Irvine, School of Law. He teaches international human rights law and international. He earned his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of California, Berkeley.

His most recent publications include: Archiving Justice: Conceptualizing the Archives of the ICTY, Journal of Archival Science (2014); Stealth Multilateralism: U.S. Foreign Policy Without Treaties – or the Senate, Foreign Affairs (2013); Human Rights Prosecutors? The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, International Justice, and the Example of Syria (book chapter) (2013); State Execution of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, 3 U.C. Irvine Law Reviews 95 (2013).

A legal academic - from California, educated in California, employed by California and ready to show the world just how righteous Californian law is.

As an academic Mr. Kaye no doubt appreciates that facts always support a statement nicely.

So, since the Junta took power, exactly how many journalists have been imprisoned, murdered, or subject to draconian defamation charges in order to silence them?

Wonder how much he earns from the UN in his second job?

• Like 2

A legal academic - from California, educated in California, employed by California and ready to show the world just how righteous Californian law is.

As an academic Mr. Kaye no doubt appreciates that facts always support a statement nicely.

So, since the Junta took power, exactly how many journalists have been imprisoned, murdered, or subject to draconian defamation charges in order to silence them?

He doesn't look like one: David Kaye, Clinical Professor of Law, University of California at Irvine

Maybe you were thinking of Danny Kaye? biggrin.png

Edited by MaxYakov

In addition to his teaching and research, he has lectured around the world, including at the United Nations and the International Criminal Court. He has taught courses in public international law, international humanitarian law and human rights at Georgetown University, Whittier Law School, and summer courses at the Universities of Toulouse and Amsterdam. He co-founded the International Human Rights Program of the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, and founded its International Justice Clinic, working on projects dealing with accountability for international crimes around the world.

A glittering academic career.

Now which parts of that make him "a brave man"?

The subject is about Thailand not the US of you want to make comparisons start another topic, in case you hadn't noticed the name of the forum is Thai Visa, not America Visa ?

It never takes long for one of the kool aid drinkers to start making comparisons to Thakin either.

Who cares about Thaksin, he's past history, the past cannot be changed but the future can, but not until you let go of the past.

There's also lots of people on this forum unaware of Godwin's law too, I'm not going to explain it, Google it.

Your're wrong on this one mate.

This thread is about an American law academic using his UN platform to comment on Thailand's government. People who live in glasshouses and all that. The fact he's American makes the parallel analogy with the US situation relevant. Do as we say, not as we do springs to mind. Has he also spoke out about the US violations referred to, and other nations? This is the first time I've heard of this guy.

Many writers believe studying history helps to improve the future and prevent the same follies. That's not meant to suggest hanging on and not changing but means you should learn from it. I wish you were right, that Thaksin was past history. But I somehow doubt he sees it that way.

• Like 1

good I hope you are ejecting fluids from every exit your body possesses

The current government has a task to complete and a short time to accomplish - they do not need criminal Thakins paid for red lackeys going on another terrorist murder campaign in an attempt to throw the country back into violent conflict that they seem to be so good at, shutting them up and keeping them off the streets is the best thing that ever happened here and may it continue

I am no supporter of military rule but I see no alternative in Thailand until they have an honourable government in place that actually does its job and Thaksin is no longer able to buy elections and abuse the Thai people, his days are numbered and he knows it.

If the current PM turns out to be rotten then I will be the first to cry foul and oppose it, but for now there is no evidence of that and he is doing what needs to done to keep the country at peace and remove the red scum from the streets

• Like 1

A glittering academic career.

Now which parts of that make him "a brave man"?

"working on projects dealing with accountability for international crimes around the world."

I realize you are all about attacking the messenger but that is really not the point is it? Mr Kaye is a reputable source looking at his bio. Why don't you try attacking the message rather than the messenger in this case a top notch college prof and international lawyer.

• Like 2

You might want to google, "Theinsutham Suthijittaseranee," before you talk too much more.