What are some more mild thai dishes ?

tuonsai

Hi guys, I'm looking for a few thai dishes that I can routinely eat at small restaurants.

I hate seafood and honestly am finding Thai food to be over the top, just too spicy with too many

ingredients. For example the Pad Thai, it's okay to try once in a while, but it gives me more of a "what the hell is this?"

impression as opposed to "I love this and could eat this three times every day".

In Cambodia I had 2-3 dishes I could regularly eat, which were pretty consistent across restaurants.

Here the only ones I found so far are chicken with rice and Pad See-ew. Even when I order these

often they're not the best quality though.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

Edited by tuonsai

- Minced Pork (pork = mu) with basil, rice, fried egg.

- Deep fried pork, green shoots, rice, fried egg.

mai aow phedt, krab = not want spicy, thanks

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. What is deep fried pork? I never heard that one before. Is it like fried chicken ?

Could you tell me the names in thai script if you speak thai? I'll write it down and take it to the restaurant.

Just learn to aak for food not spicy...oddly my thai better half cant eat spicy food.

the great thing about this cusine is it can be tailored.....

might I sugest going to a noosle shop, one where you get the the "condements" vinegar...sugar ....fish sauce ....chilli.....and see what your thai counterpart adds to the dish......there are so many foods here that dont dictate an overbearing heat......some like som tam do...and after 25 years here im up to a six chilli som tam.....good luck......

Gai pat met ma-muang him-ma-phan - chicken with cashew nuts (aroi maak)

Pha-naeng gai/moo - Fairly mild curry with chicken or pork

Briao waan gai/moo - Sweet & sour with chicken or pork

Kao pat American/gai/moo/gung/etc - fried rice with whatever

Another dish you'll really like is "Kai yat sai muu" which is a Thai omelette in a triangle shape. It's filled (in this case "Muu") with pork, vegetables and a drop of gravy, is very tasty and comes with boiled rice. I think there was a conspiracy to keep this hidden from me as it took me a few years to discover it. It's not at all spicy and all the Thais know how to make it. I also fall back on the deep fried pork as a previous poster mentioned, although that can be a bit spicy. Failing that, it's the good old "Khao phat gai, kai dhow" of egg fried rice with chicken and a few vegetables and spring onion stalks, topped with a Thai style fried egg. You could always ask for "sweet and sour chicken" although it's not really Thai.

Personally, I like something a little bit spicy now and then and a "Larb muu" or "Kapow gai" fits the bill without being too hot. For farang tastes all you have to avoid is anything that's sour like the dreaded and foul smelling "Pappaya pok pok". Considering that the Thais eat all kinds of spicy things, just get any one of them to try mint sauce and watch them screw their face up in the same was that we do when we've eaten a chilli.

What most people complain about Thai food is that the Thais simply refuse to take the bones and gristle out of dishes, and leave bits of chilli in. We're not used to having to pick our way through the food on the plate. Some Thais do eat all the chilli, but not many. I think it's left in as a joke for us farang to burn our mouths on!

I have found that almost all dishes can be ordered not spicy. Pick restaurant s that are very busy during meal time. That usually means fresher food because they have to cook to keep up and usually offer more choices. Thank goodness for photos. Most larger restaurants let me pick individuals foods from different dishes.

You can't miss with loaded soups. Tom Yom and have them add extra pork or prawn, mixed veg including greens and always noodles. Kee Mao is one of my favorites from Oishi (Japanese) kinda. Not all curry is spicy. Just keep experimenting. Original CM food is not spicy.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. What is deep fried pork? I never heard that one before. Is it like fried chicken ?

Could you tell me the names in thai script if you speak thai? I'll write it down and take it to the restaurant.

no its deep fried PORK

If you just say " mai pet" most restaurants will comply. Do not say "pet nit noi" as that actually means spice it up a bit more.

If you get a dish that is too spicy, 1/ Segregate the chillies 2/ Add sugar to knock down the spice.

• Like 1

Two of my absolute favorites are below. They are not spicy, though sometimes the chicken & cashew can come with dried whole chilies in it. They are easy to pick out and they don't leave much of a spicy taste behind.:

Chicken and cashew ไก่ผัดเม็ดมะม่วงหิมพานต์

Stuffed complete with minced pork ไข่ยัดใส่

Edited by oneday

chips and burgers my husband told me with salt and red sauce he wont eat what he calls thai muck he only eats irish or british or some us dishes like french fries and a big mac

Edited by pach16

Any chicken duck or pork on rice, like in a Chinese restaurant. Fried Rice (Kow Pad): Thai fried noodles (Pad Thai, Quit- E - Ow, or similar dishes) .

If in doubt, you can ask if a dish has chiii. Point to it on the menu & ask " Aharn me Prik, Mai, Krarp?" Or ask for it not spicy "Mai chaup aharn Pet, Krarp!"

You seem totally clueless and needy to boot. What is deep fried pork you ask? Is it like chicken you ask? Did you just get out of kindergarden and your parents abandoned you in big bad spicy Thailand. Go to bland food Europe and nurse at the nipple of of your motherland.

Moodaeng, red pork with rice and soup ,40B. I go to Huai Khrai between MaeChan and MaeSai once a week for the moodaeng, mild and delicious ,one of my favourite dishes. Look out for the noodle shops that have red pork in the glass cases hanging up , this is moodaeng.

You seem totally clueless and needy to boot. What is deep fried pork you ask? Is it like chicken you ask? Did you just get out of kindergarden and your parents abandoned you in big bad spicy Thailand. Go to bland food Europe and nurse at the nipple of of your motherland.

Haha, funny. No actually I've never had deep fried pork in my life, it's just something that noone ever eats in the country I come from, which happens to be in Europe.

Thanks to the others for the great responses!