Orders issued under Article 44

webfact

Received a couple of emails this morning from friends who are still living in Thailand and each are now desperate to get out. This situation is unlikely to improve and I'm perplexed as to why we are not seeing more foreign expats heading out.

Received a couple of emails this morning from friends who are still living in Thailand and each are now desperate to get out. This situation is unlikely to improve and I'm perplexed as to why we are not seeing more foreign expats heading out.

Move back to democratic England with the frightening possibility of an imminent Labour/SNP government? No chance. Give me the good General any day rather than Alex Salmond and Millipede. Under martial law, the only soldiers I saw were friends who came to help with the garden as I cannot get around too well. As I am not a subversive malcontent, I am not particularly worried about Article 44, and I think life will carry on as normal for 99% of the population.

Move back to democratic England with the frightening possibility of an imminent Labour/SNP government? No chance. Give me the good General any day rather than Alex Salmond and Millipede. Under martial law, the only soldiers I saw were friends who came to help with the garden as I cannot get around too well. As I am not a subversive malcontent, I am not particularly worried about Article 44, and I think life will carry on as normal for 99% of the population.

Just read Animal Farm..

The " I am not concerned because i do nothing bad" works until it doesnt...and whe it doesn't it's too late...

and 99% of the population is a very generous number:

i can already count the ones who are not happy :

media

students

politcal parties (all of them)

investors

Tourism and MICE fields owners/workers /dependent of

This is far more than you think

• Like 1

We are still in the editing room of what is shaping up to be the best movie of all times in Thailand. Who would want to miss that. The Main Feature... Bring on the comfy chairs popcorn and beer...w00t.gif

We are still in the editing room of what is shaping up to be the best movie of all times in Thailand. Who would want to miss that. The Main Feature... Bring on the comfy chairs popcorn and beer...w00t.gif

Let us just hope that flak jackets do not need to be added to that list.

Only thing missing, is a hotline number (4444) so you can turn in your neighbor, sister, brother or any other you for some reason dislike!!

Never say never. Wasn't there such a thing set up for LM?

Only thing missing, is a hotline number (4444) so you can turn in your neighbor, sister, brother or any other you for some reason dislike!!

If they did that it would shut down all communication in Thailand (the mobile phone networks anyway, which equates to the same thing)

cheesy.gif

People are fascinated with tragic events--car accidents, house fires, countries imploding... When you have good seat for the event it's difficult to walk away.

To the junta supporters among the posters here: Please read the OP twice!!

Maybe time to reconsider your support??

You are supporting people and a system not belonging in this century!!

And please not the usual "But Thaksin" BS, this is way more serious!!

Just because people who are anti-Thaksin and what he and his party were up to does not mean these same people support what's going on now. The last Government was destroying the county with its corruption and looking after the interests of just Thaksin himself and not the people, however, it does not mean these people are supporting what is going on now or that the last government deserved to be thrown out (ok, they deserved it, but it was wrong).

Always, makes me laugh when some people make Thaksin to be a Robin Hood character; he was a megalomaniac, who brought the country into a complete mess by trying to force in an amnesty bill to give him his power back and now look at where we are.

Edited.

I totally agree with your asssessment of Thaksin's family; they were total crooks. But I don't think JOC meant to say that Thaksin was robin hood.

And JOC, the guys you mention. That crowd refers to Thais here on TV, in terms of 'providing decent service!' Doesn't that say it all?

Edited by No Apologist

Because they will not get a job back home, or their pensions will not be enough to support the lifestyle they are used to in Thailand. I do not see many farangs leaving in droves - all they will do perhaps making more posts about how Thailand is sliding into a North Korea kind of society. Not many will walk the talk though.

To the junta supporters among the posters here: Please read the OP twice!!

Maybe time to reconsider your support??

You are supporting people and a system not belonging in this century!!

And please not the usual "But Thaksin" BS, this is way more serious!!

Just because people who are anti-Thaksin and what he and his party were up to does not mean these same people support what's going on now. The last Government was destroying the county with its corruption and looking after the interests of just Thaksin himself and not the people, however, it does not mean these people are supporting what is going on now or that the last government deserved to be thrown out (ok, they deserved it, but it was wrong).

Always, makes me laugh when some people make Thaksin to be a Robin Hood character; he was a megalomaniac, who brought the country into a complete mess by trying to force in an amnesty bill to give him his power back and now look at where we are.

Edited.

"The last Government was destroying the county"............And you think this "so called" government does NOT destroy this country??? Oh dear, you are soooo blind! Open your eyes and ears... (and read about how the 3rd Reich was established)

I often wonder why people who live often feel the need to rubbish their own country. It gets tiresome.

Anyway, even if you are correct in your analysis, maybe cocooned from the real Thai People, that 99% will not be affected, that still leaves 700,000 Thai's at a guess.

Another reminder that the NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS is still in effect as per these comments:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

That's a really naive statement Mick, especially referring to a country where law is implemented to the utmost. Then again, maybe your malcontent inhibits Thai lasses when you're out on a bender?

@hawkman #16, correct. There was high expectation that the coup would be a positive turning point. But I guess we underestimated the grip of megalomania. The general fails to understand that if he doesn't intend to use a law, then it shouldn't be on the books. So I expect those laws above to come into play almost immediately. I'm seriously thinking of shutting down - self-preservation and all that.

Why do you think the general fails to understand anything? I don't think you get to be commander-in-chief of the Army by failing to understand small details.

• Like 1

@hawkman #16, correct. There was high expectation that the coup would be a positive turning point. But I guess we underestimated the grip of megalomania. The general fails to understand that if he doesn't intend to use a law, then it shouldn't be on the books. So I expect those laws above to come into play almost immediately. I'm seriously thinking of shutting down - self-preservation and all that.

Why do you think the general fails to understand anything? I don't think you get to be commander-in-chief of the Army by failing to understand small details.

No, you get there by kissing the right asses and paying the most bribes for promotions.

• Like 1

So that's how many locked up without trial?

Answer @ 1/2 million.

Or, a foreign volunteers section of the Peace and order maintaining officers.

I can think of a few who would be eager to join.

We are so lucky that everyone in the military from sub-lieutenant and above is clean of all corruption and are in no way involved with any mafia like organised crime. With their new extra judicial powers it would be really scary it they were in any way open to questionable practices.

Or, a foreign volunteers section of the Peace and order maintaining officers.

I can think of a few who would be eager to join.

Polishing their boots and pressing their uniforms as I post no doubt. Somewhat small contingent nowadays though.

t

Item 6: Peace and order-maintaining officers are empowered to detain suspected violators summoned for questioning for no more than seven days. Such detention must be carried out on premises other than police stations, detention facilities, or prisons, and the detainee shall not be treated as an accused person.

Guantanamo?

What would be a perfect place for brainwashing?

Edited by micmichd