Duracel batteries... extinct in LOS?

NanLaew

The last few weeks I was home in Pattaya, I was shopping specifically for Duracell brand batteries and reckon they are scarcer than hen's teeth. Plenty of varieties of Panasonic and Energizer at Big C, Tesco-Lotus, HomePro, etc., but bugger all of the old Duracell 'gold top' variety. Is this a re-branding exercise, importer issues, martial law or have they pulled out of LOS?

Watched a consumer protection programme on uk tv where duracell were forced to withdraw an ad'claiming they outlasted all other batteries. Do a google and you'll find better deals for less money especially on newyer types from other makers.

A bit off topic- but Duracell ( because they are such a well marketed brand ) are very often faked- it is a real problem.

Main stream retailers such as Tesco have been victims.

The fakes obviously don't last very long- but leak really nasty acid - in just a few weeks- and can mess up your remotes, vibrators, remote control helicopters etc etc

A bit off topic- but Duracell ( because they are such a well marketed brand ) are very often faked- it is a real problem.

The fakes obviously don't last very long- but leak really nasty acid - in just a few weeks- and can mess up your remotes, vibrators, remote control helicopters etc etc

specially on the vibrator it is bad if it leaks acid....

Was only joking- but have had really badly leaking Duracell batteries- it's really nasty stuff. Edited by peterb17
  • Like 1

I mostly use recharged accu packs Duracell also have it but Panasonic has better quality!

Battery price in Thailand lower then eu but nearly same on Ebay

Some say there is away and device also to recharge normal battery in a chemical process does some one know more about this?

Last but not least , is a Duracell realy more long life battery then a Panasonic or a Tesco brand for have price this would be interesting to find out!

Purchased Duracell AA's at Tesc* Lotu* Hua Hin last week. When I opened the pack, the packaging didn't feel right, Duracell packaging is normally high quality, this felt like recycled card.

Used the first 2 of the 4 batteries, lasted about 10% of the time I would normally get from UK purchased Duracell brand. Tried the second 2 and the result was the same.

I would pretty much recon they were fakes as comparing them with those from the UK.

Went back and had another look in T/L and wouldn't be supprised that most, if not all, the battery packs were copies.

I just bought a keyboard in Germany that came with Duracell batteries made in China. Can't say they lasted too long. Got myself some new Panasonic Evolta premium batteries today (3x the prIce of normal ones), let's see how long they last.

Some say there is away and device also to recharge normal battery in a chemical process does some one know more about this?

This charger has been around for at least 15 years. You can charge any battery but it doesn't work if they are completely dead. If they got 10% left or so you can recharge them about 6 times, give or take (cheaper ones like zinc-carbons you might only be able to recharge 3 times, while you might get 10 times on alkaline batteries). Be aware that the life cycle of the battery on each charge shortens.

That said, I know someone who has one of these chargers... he just takes all the batteries from the battery bin in the supermarket (this is Germany), recharges them and has never paid for a single battery in the last 10 years.

Panasonic Eneloops are doing good now.

These are officially rechargeable batteries and as far as I know, you cannot put them in normal devices that require 1.5 volts as they only got 1.2 volts. The thing I've been talking about actually recharges normal non-rechargeable batteries.

This is not true

A rechargeable battery you also can use every where the diffrence of only 0.3 volt does not make any problem in any device

Where I can buy this mashine for recharge normal battery's?

This should be standart everywhere for not produce normal battery's any more!

Is there any effect of charging when I put a emty battery long time in hot sun ?

Ha ha... He said vibrators!cheesy.gif

This is not true

A rechargeable battery you also can use every where the diffrence of only 0.3 volt does not make any problem in any device

Where I can buy this mashine for recharge normal battery's?

This should be standart everywhere for not produce normal battery's any more!

Is there any effect of charging when I put a emty battery long time in hot sun ?

There is one here. This one only does alkaline disposables but I know some machines also do zinc-carbon.

I haven't heard of the "...gold top..." Duracell batteries. Are they a new battery from Duracell ?

I haven't seen them yet in the local stores in Canada. Never saw them in Thailand.

Are they built to a higher quality level than the Copper Top Duracell batteries?

I saw plenty of Copper Top Duracells in the Chiang Mai area like at Robinson's and Tesco Lotus when I was living there.

Bought one time in seam reap always have portable radio for check with me and market seller trie sold me emty battery but he failed

Another battery scam in Bangkok shopping walls

Let change battery for my watch 399 Bhat 3. Days later it was gone..

Only in the south and bk I got cheated in the north never!

Panasonic Eneloops are doing good now.

These are officially rechargeable batteries and as far as I know, you cannot put them in normal devices that require 1.5 volts as they only got 1.2 volts. The thing I've been talking about actually recharges normal non-rechargeable batteries.

You are right about the 1.2 Volts.

But this will have an effect ONLY in a very very rare device. Most times, it should be ok with almost all common equipment.

About recharging normal non-rechargeable batteries - please be careful.

I would not try that unless I have a 100% guarantee from the manufacturer of the device.

We have charged over 1000 non-rechargeable ones over the years. The manufacturers just put warnings on them to make money on selling new ones.

The charging device measures the battery and tells you if it's bad. It won't charge the ones gone bad.

• Like 1

We have charged over 1000 non-rechargeable ones over the years. The manufacturers just put warnings on them to make money on selling new ones.

The charging device measures the battery and tells you if it's bad. It won't charge the ones gone bad.

Super!

Edit

On second thoughts, why are they manufacturing rechargeable batteries, anyway?

Edited by ravip

Well if the major manufacturers won't do it, then someone else would.

Rechargeable batteries are much more efficient for recharging, they get around 500-2500 cycles whereas normal alkalines barely get 10.

• Like 1

Well if the major manufacturers won't do it, then someone else would.

Rechargeable batteries are much more efficient for recharging, they get around 500-2500 cycles whereas normal alkalines barely get 10.

Thank you for the info.