"Proof of funds for Non O reirement visa?"

Do any other countries have this Affidavit scheme or Agreement in LOS?

There no such agreement.

Many countries do the income document by way of an affidavit. statutory declaration, affirmation or some other form of sworn statement.

Australia and Canada do them by way of a statutory declaration.

I have never known them to ask for anything and addition to the income affidavit from the US embassy. I know of several Americans who did not have the funds in the bank and just brought their income affidavit notarized from the embassy and went to Chang Wattana and in no time at all were approved. I would not worry. It is the way it is with the treaty of Amnity. I do not believe the other guy at all, I fear he is one of the many here who go out of their way to make things negative.

Oh so Knowledgeable One. Care to enlighten us on....... "It is the way it is with the treaty of Amnity"

Maybe you mean 1. Amenity ? or 2. Anonymity ? or 3. You have just invented a new word for this post ?

"I would not worry." Me thinks you have much to worry about. Least of which is commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed ???

Do any other countries have this Affidavit scheme or Agreement in LOS?

There no such agreement.

Many countries do the income document by way of an affidavit. statutory declaration, affirmation or some other form of sworn statement.

Australia and Canada do them by way of a statutory declaration.

Not trying to steal Jose's thunder. As always, with such issues he is correct. For those that don't know or understand a Statutory Declaration or affidavit or other such documents.

The witnessing signatory is not in anyway confirming that the statement in the document is true or correct. All they, the witness, is confirming, is that the person making the statement and signing the document is in fact who they are purporting to be.

So, in very basic speak... the embassy or whoever is witnessing your income document, doesn't give a rat's arse what you write. They are only confirming the credentials of the person signing the document.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today visited Kap Chong Immigration to renew my one year retirement extension, presented proof of income that was notarized by the US Embassy but was refused until I could produce my bank account statement for the past 6 months. Fortunately there is a Bangkok Bank office accross the street so it was just a minor delay. I didn't have to do this previously but the supervisor stated that this is the new policy and would be required every time.

Edited by dverwoert

• 3 weeks later...

Does this affidavit of funds from the US Consulate work for a Non-O extension based on marriage as well?

That is, provided I claim a certain amount of income/existing funds and get an affidavit from the consulate, can this replace the requirement of 40k/month or 400k in a Thai bank account needed for the extension?

In terms of being prepared to show proof of funds, is it enough to show a bank balance from abroad? Or, if one needs to show income, does money from dividends count? The key point here is that it would be totally independent of a Thai bank account. I have a Thai bank account--and could wire 400k into it if needed--but if it's as simple as just paying for an affidavit and being prepared to show proof of funds in my US bank, I'd prefer that as it seems much easier.

Assuming this is possible, does one need to get a new affidavit each year when re-applying for the extension?

The affidavit is good for extensions based on marriage as well.

The US-consulate does not require proof of income to issue, because of this immigration sometimes asks for additional proof. Dividend is normally seen as income.

The affidavit is good for extensions based on marriage as well.

The US-consulate does not require proof of income to issue, because of this immigration sometimes asks for additional proof. Dividend is normally seen as income.

Thanks for the quick response, Mario.

Do you know if it's possible to simply show proof of a US bank account with a value exceeding $12,000 (that's the current exchange rate of 400,000 baht, though I would show them an account with far more than $12k in it).

I'm semi-retired and don't have any formal job income. While showing dividends are a possibility, I think it would probably be easier if I could just show them my bank statement from the US if asked for proof to back up the affidavit.

When one asks for an affidavit from the consulate, is the consulate signing off on my claims about monthly income or net worth? Is the latter an option?

Showing a bank account with money proofs nothing and is not accepted.

The consulate does only certifies that you made a sworn statement before a consular officer that you claim to have an income of such and such amount. You must print out the affidavit in advance and sign in in front of the consular officer. The consulate does not certifies that your claim is true.

Income is calculated before tax.

Ok, so just to confirm:

1) One prints out a document claiming to have $xx,xxx in income each year (this number should exceed the equivalent of 40,000 baht x 12 months)

2) One signs this document in front of the consular officer

3) One takes this signed (and now officially stamped) document to immigration to be submitted as part of one's application for an extension of stay based on marriage.

In terms of being prepared to show proof of one's income claims: is a US tax return acceptable proof? If not, what would Thai immigration (Chiang Mai) require?

Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in. Much appreciated.

The income affidavit has a space for a monthly income in dollars. Which must be equal to at least 40k baht on the date you apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage.

The best back up proof for the affidavit is a Thai bank book showing funds coming into the country on a regular basis.

I would hope that people living in Thailand can actually meet the minimum income or cash requirements. I think the standards are reasonable. It basically is $2,000/month. It is of course possible and many people do live on less than that, or spend down some or all of the 800,000 baht cash in a year, reload and go another year. The whole idea is kind of that the Thai government wants to have some assurance that you can support yourself and not be a burden on them. OK, of course they probably hope you spend a lot of money too.

Remember, they are not asking that you certify you have a Net of 65,000 baht income left over to spend. They are just asking that you have the income. That alone is a generous relief. Your end of the year tax liability in your home country is not considered, nor is any other outgoing payments you may have to be making (child support, alimony, car payments, insurance, etc.)

How so?

The income affidavit has a space for a monthly income in dollars. Which must be equal to at least 40k baht on the date you apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage.

The best back up proof for the affidavit is a Thai bank book showing funds coming into the country on a regular basis.

1) Joe, what is the 'income affidavit' you're referring to? I was under the impression that I had to make up a document myself which I then presented to the consulate and got them to sign off on. If there's a pre-made form, where do I find it?

2) If I have to show the Thai bank book, then it almost feels like I might as well just do the 400k seasoning. Though I understand you to be saying that this is the 'best' back up proof, not the only back up proof.

I think I remember reading on another thread (or maybe it was this one) that you yourself use the affidavit method. Do you find this to be overall more convenient than having to keep a 400k balance in the thai bank for a minimum of a couple months each year?

Thanks for the feedback!

You do not have to prove your income if your an American. I am shocked that nobody mentioned this. All you have to do is go to the American embassy and fill out an income form and have them notarized it. Cost 1,650 baht. You fill out the form and put whatever monthly income you want, they only are notarizing you signature, so put down whatever monthly figure you want, nobody will check. Use that form to get your retirement visa. Very quick and easy process. When I found this out I was so surprised. The USA has a treaty with Thailand where they don't check our bank accounts, only need the form from Embassy notarized. I have had my retirement visa for about 7 months now and I never had to prove my income to anybody. This is only true for Americans, Surprised UBON JOE did not mention this to you.

The value you put down on the form is supposed to be a true value and you are affirming that it is true. Anything else would subject you to legal issues should it not be true and found out. I hope you are not suggesting people put down whatever number they want. It is possible that proof can be asked for later by several agencies. Several posters have posted examples of such things. As with many things, if this convenience is abused, changes may be made that would be bothersome to everybody that uses the income affidavit method.

• Like 1

1) Joe, what is the 'income affidavit' you're referring to? I was under the impression that I had to make up a document myself which I then presented to the consulate and got them to sign off on. If there's a pre-made form, where do I find it?

2) If I have to show the Thai bank book, then it almost feels like I might as well just do the 400k seasoning. Though I understand you to be saying that this is the 'best' back up proof, not the only back up proof.

I think I remember reading on another thread (or maybe it was this one) that you yourself use the affidavit method. Do you find this to be overall more convenient than having to keep a 400k balance in the thai bank for a minimum of a couple months each year?

Thanks for the feedback!

You can download the form or fill it out online here. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

You will need to make an appointment to do the affidavit or you will not get through the front doors. Info is on webpage I posted the link to.

I just got my 8th income affidavit last week. I find doing the income method much better than dealing with maintaining a bank balance.

• Like 1