Yellow house book. Whats that for

Hi we went with gf to City hall in small town.

She lost her ID.

While there we decided to just ask if it would be possible to add my name to her house book like i live there.

They said we had to be married.

And then I get yellow book.

And then some gov worker would approve or screen me like why Im in thailand or something...

The way he talked was like he is in charge of the process and everything depends on him. If I be nice to him he could sort it out.....

Can someone tell me whats yellow book good for?

Thx

Having a yellow house book makes it easier to get a Thai Drivers license That's all..

- But in no way will it give you any possession-rights as far as any sort of "Landed-property" is concerned. I meet Farangs on a monthly basis that think the "yellow-book secures some residential privileges" ( With a yellow housebook, I can not be kicked out of "My property")cheesy.gif

Cheers

• Like 1

For tourists , short term or long term it is not of much use except proof of address. If you are one of the rare few applying for citizenship it is an essential requirement.

Another consideration is that rules and regulations change frequently in Thailand. What might not be of much use today could prove very handy to have a year or two down the line.

Your answer makes sense, but why are you whispering? wink.png

• Like 1

It is not wanted at Immigration or at 90 day reporting. They just pass it back to you.

Banks don't like it. They only want to photocopy passports.

Sometimes Banks or others like it because it shows local address written in Thai. Big Freakin Deal. If you have an electric bill you could use that instead.

I seem to recall one situation over the years where it was actually useful. What was it.... ? To sit on the board of my condo? No. They wanted my wife's book and marriage details, etc. No need for mine, even though I am co-owner on Chanote.

It was a bit of a pain to acquire - required 3 or 4 visits and the last one we needed a witness. The brother in law sat and said he knew me and I was me and a good guy.

Oh. it can be used to renew drivers license. But so can passport and other documents that prove residency such as electric bill or work permit, even. I got a drivers license by telling them my address and showing the work permit with its address. Both were recorded and on the license it showed my real address.

Years later I lost the license and had moved. Went to get a new one, since I had new passport number and in Thailand no govt agency wants to see an expired passport, they did a new one. This time I gave my pasport and Tambien Baan (yellow book) and they liked that.

I have since stopped carrying it with me to use as ID of any kind. Passport is what they all want to make a photo copy of.

The yellow book simplifies life...you can buy a car in your own name...it also counts for proof of address...it's easy to get through some administration processes.wai2.gif

Needed to buy a car in your name?

Really? I think this can be done without the book.

what other admin processes?

As far as im aware it gives you the rights to live in the house for as long as you live and if you had made the agreement to lease the ground under the house then after your death it allows your immediate family from whichever country to use that property for an extended 30 years,there is a good bit of paperwork to read but basically thats what it is supposed to be for,unless i have been wrongly informed,not unusual here in Thailand.

No use whatsoever.

As discussed many times. Of great value to some and perceived useless to others.

20 Baht and 40 minutes to obtain has saved me numerous visits to immigration for LOR, Cost and time I have saved over the years warrants it for me.

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

As far as im aware it gives you the rights to live in the house for as long as you live and if you had made the agreement to lease the ground under the house then after your death it allows your immediate family from whichever country to use that property for an extended 30 years,there is a good bit of paperwork to read but basically thats what it is supposed to be for,unless i have been wrongly informed,not unusual here in Thailand.

I don't think this is correct. My understanding of the yellow book is that it shows the address where a foreigner lives in Thailand. That's all. It doesn't have anything to say about ownership. Sounds like you are talking about a usufruct, which is a different document entirely.

• Like 1

TomYumpoochai, on 04 Apr 2015 - 09:59, said:

Theres a yellow banner covering the top 1/3rd of my phone demanding i go to *thaivisa flights* i dont want any <deleted> flights and i dont want stupid yellow banners blocking my phone.

Do you think TV is trying to give you a message Tom?

condobrit001, on 04 Apr 2015 - 10:25, said:

Does the yellow title deed I got from the Land Department when I purchased my condo perform the same function as this yellow book?

No, that's your Title Deed (ownership) not necessarily your registered address as you could rent it out.

The Yellow House book has nothing to do with ownership, it is proof of your registered address in Thailand.

You register your address at the local Amphur and they issue a Yellow house book as proof.

post-209671-0-33147700-1428118782_thumb.

• Like 1

The yellow book simplifies life...you can buy a car in your own name...it also counts for proof of address...it's easy to get through some administration processes.wai2.gif

My car is in my name, and I haven't got a yellow book, no need

This is not Kansas, Toto.....

With the yellow book you can get on to the 30 baht health system......all my visits to hospital and tablets the only charge I receive is 30 bht.....I have had x-rays numerous blood test, tablets every month and the charge is 30 baht...doesn't cover any dentist work....

• Like 2

No use whatsoever.

At the Amphoe Hat Yai, no certificates for residency are being issued any more. Therefore it is good to have the "yellow tabien" baan, as a proof of address, i.e. to obtain a drivers license. I went with my landlord to the Tessaban showing passport, visa and the renting contract (in English), the landlord showing his house paper, and the requested paper was issued instantly.

As i understand it, the yellow book was introduced for Thais (not falangs) that were working out of Provence as a means of proof of their temporary address. This saved them the hassle of being added to the blue book of the address they were temporarily staying.

It works the same for foreigners in the respect that it is a temporary addition to the relevant blue book for the address they are staying at.

My car is in my name, and I haven't got a yellow book, no need

but than you have to bring some other documents,

every time you go for this aother documents,

not only once in your life you register a car, or renew your DL,

or what ever bank, school kids,

ok, you propably just a " tourist and bar bank ",

than you dont need it!!

is it difficult to get it ?

Not easy like a train ticket,

if you not live in Korat ( there maybee 1k tea bag only );

Normal it is 40,- thb !! only;

If you do all correct,

it takes you about 3-4 hrs ;

The officer have to proof that you rally live here in that house with the people there;

I'm not Official married, not live full time here in Tha,

But they have to proof many things,

about a 2 page A4 protocall with me,

and separate with my partner were written;

Dates, facts, company, financing the home,

kids, grand parents,

my kids which call me Papa ( 5 and 9 ) were wittness enough for the officer;

after 4 hrs, I had the signed Yello HB by the high officer;

With that Yellow book, the legalisation of my 2 kids were done in 2 hrs,

in same Khet in BKK;

Where you can read stories that you have to go family court and spend months to do this !!

All this was done correctly,

no tea money ,

just some nice candy on the end;

And I'm very confident it will help me later on in many cases on a regular correct life

here in Thailand !

For my CONDO in samui I also got a Yellow book,

organiced by the Condo developer,

all I did was to send him a Power of Attorney;

• Like 1