Penang Tourist Visa Report Apr. 1, A Warning for ED to TR

Jim, who has a cafe' of the same name on Chulia Street in Penang, says that about one month ago the Penang Consulate began refusing to issue a Tourist Visa if your last visa was an ED visa. If you go to Penang wanting to convert an ED visa to a Tourist Visa you will be disappointed. Jim asked me to post this warning.

• Like 1

IT was never possible to "convert" an "ED visa" into a Tourist visa !

smile.png

That is not really what he means to say though, poor choice of words I assume.

And this is important news to some as the times I have been to Penang recently the people at Banana have been particular about telling the scores of russians applying for ED visa that they will apply for a tourist visa for them if their ED visa application is turned down. So if some of those people have an ED visa that's finished or used up or whatever and are applying for a second, third etc. they could have a big problem, if the OP has correct information.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

Yes, poor choice of words. I should have said, if your most recent visa is an ED visa (with or without an extension), then the Penang Consulate will refuse to issue you a Tourist Visa. This is according to Jim. How strict will they be? This was my situation: my 2nd year ED extension from Phuket was expiring on April 3rd. However, I had already purchased a ticket to the USA for May 24 and so the print out of the ticket was presented with my application. They went ahead and gave me the Tourist Visa.

• Like 1

Possibly an even poorer clarification. Maybe it should read:

"... if your most recent visa is an ED visa (with or without an extension), then the Penang Consulate will MAY refuse to issue you a Tourist Visa."

Your experience with showing an onward ticket from Thailand seemed to buck any blanket prohibition that Jim alludes to so good to note and thanks for the update. Hopefully some others will update on their Penang experience upon the expiration of their TD's.

Jim, who has a cafe' of the same name on Chulia Street in Penang, says that about one month ago the Penang Consulate began refusing to issue a Tourist Visa if your last visa was an ED visa. If you go to Penang wanting to convert an ED visa to a Tourist Visa you will be disappointed. Jim asked me to post this warning.

In that case the solution is to obtain a new passport before applying.

• 1 month later...

Any more info on this ?

Just bought train ticket to penang, I am on ED visa for 9 months but not gonna extend it anymore, looking to get a tourist visa from there.

I also had 3 tourist visas from Penang before i got my ED visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Any more info on this ?

Just bought train ticket to penang, I am on ED visa for 9 months but not gonna extend it anymore, looking to get a tourist visa from there.

I also had 3 tourist visas from Penang before i got my ED visa.

Possibly an even poorer clarification. Maybe it should read:

"... if your most recent visa is an ED visa (with or without an extension), then the Penang Consulate will MAY refuse to issue you a Tourist Visa."

Your experience with showing an onward ticket from Thailand seemed to buck any blanket prohibition that Jim alludes to so good to note and thanks for the update. Hopefully some others will update on their Penang experience upon the expiration of their TD's.

Yes, poor choice of words. I should have said, if your most recent visa is an ED visa (with or without an extension), then the Penang Consulate will refuse to issue you a Tourist Visa. This is according to Jim. How strict will they be? This was my situation: my 2nd year ED extension from Phuket was expiring on April 3rd. However, I had already purchased a ticket to the USA for May 24 and so the print out of the ticket was presented with my application. They went ahead and gave me the Tourist Visa.

• 2 months later...

is there any news on this? I just booked a flight to penang in order to get a 60 days tourist visa because my 1 year ED visa is used up.

shall the visa not be issued, how good are my chances of reentering thailand on a 30 day stamp?

before that 1 year ED visa I spent 8 months back in france and flew to thailand got a 30 day stamp then applied for that ED visa. (prior to going back to france I had 2 back to back ED visas and before that several tourist visas)