No pain ... yes gain (fat loss that is)

Jingthing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JT

I am going to assume that you are overweight, trying to lose some weight and are based in Thailand.

If my assumption is correct. Are you aware that Thailand's climate is ideal for losing weight ? No special diets, exercise plans or anything else.

A decent, well balanced diet and moderate exercise should have the weight falling off.

I have no idea what your lifestyle is like, but a simple adjustment to your lifestyle, could and should, make a massive difference for you.

A point to think about. If you train to burn fat and convert to muscle, you will automatically get heavier.

Not every topic here needs to be about everything about weight loss.

I started this thread ONLY to talk about the exercise method I saw on the BBC show that was new to me.

That's it.

Not seeking general, personalized advice, tired morality lectures, or the like. Take that somewhere else ... please.

The thread is not about me.

The thread is about the TOPIC.

That topic is VERY VERY SPECIFIC.

There have been some on point reponses about the topic.

Thank you.

Otherwise, not interested in silly truisms like it's easy to lose weight in Thailand.

That's just simplistic and stupid and totally OFF TOPIC. Start another thread or something. Tell that to the increasing millions of overweight and obese Thais, I'm sure they would be fascinated. But not here ... please.

__

Back to the topic.

Yes I can see now that there is more to the exercise technique than the impression I got from the t.v. show.

And to push yourself to the your fitness limits for the two minute cycles is certainly not easy or trivial.

But the idea that such a short amount of time, even with very hard work, might pay such dividends in fat burning for the rest of the day even while just resting still fascinates.

The way I see this now is that doing this technique for 20 minutes would be more effective or maybe even much more effective than doing a normal routine for an hour. That's pretty powerful stuff.

Not every topic here needs to be about everything about weight loss.

I started this thread ONLY to talk about the exercise method I saw on the BBC show that was new to me.

That's it.

Not seeking general, personalized advice, tired morality lectures, or the like. Take that somewhere else ... please.

The thread is not about me.

The thread is about the TOPIC.

That topic is VERY VERY SPECIFIC.

There have been some on point reponses about the topic.

Thank you.

Otherwise, not interested in silly truisms like it's easy to lose weight in Thailand.

That's just simplistic and stupid and totally OFF TOPIC. Start another thread or something. Tell that to the increasing millions of overweight and obese Thais, I'm sure they would be fascinated. But not here ... please.

__

Back to the topic.

Yes I can see now that there is more to the exercise technique than the impression I got from the t.v. show.

And to push yourself to the your fitness limits for the two minute cycles is certainly not easy or trivial.

But the idea that such a short amount of time, even with very hard work, might pay such dividends in fat burning for the rest of the day even while just resting still fascinates.

The way I see this now is that doing this technique for 20 minutes would be more effective or maybe even much more effective than doing a normal routine for an hour. That's pretty powerful stuff.

You missing some points

Every stronger exercise causes a fat burning for the rest of the day.

Doing it right, makes you so drained that you don't have any time advantage over 1 hour normal routine. There are no freebies, for what you burn later you need to work harder. For the time you save you have to do it more intense.

The body doesn't really care if you make the routine exactly as promoted or somehow different.

Well guys, I went to Carl's Jr today and it was ugly. Big Burger, Chocolate Shake with Cream on top and side order of fries with cheese sauce and bacon. Stay away from the Shakes - worse than cigarettes once you start.

Then I visited carl's usa calorie counter (couldn't find one for thailand) for fun. Here's the score card

Shake 700 calories

Burger 924

Fries 380

Total 2000 calories, 54 grams of protein, 120 grams of fat, 1000 calories from fat, 235 mg colestorol - I stopped reading after that.

Glad Songkran is coming up so I can burn this off!

Eat less, exercise more.

Yes it is as simple as that but.

Eat better, do anything as a start,

poor lifestyles take years to be broken

and require long term discipline many cant muster.

You don't have a comment on the specific topic, do you? The topic is not dime store weight control cliches. Everyone knows all that.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

JT,

You should just try it but as H90 says it will drain you and it will be faster as your hour session but you will need more time to recover. I would just use it once in a while maybe replace a few sessions per week. It will also help you build better stamina and better stamina can help you burn more calories.

However please don't think its a magic cure, as IMHO the after-burn is overstated but it certainly will help if you do this.

But if i really do this then it takes me a while to get back to normal as it taxes your body quite heavily.

JT,

You should just try it but as H90 says it will drain you and it will be faster as your hour session but you will need more time to recover. I would just use it once in a while maybe replace a few sessions per week. It will also help you build better stamina and better stamina can help you burn more calories.

However please don't think its a magic cure, as IMHO the after-burn is overstated but it certainly will help if you do this.

But if i really do this then it takes me a while to get back to normal as it taxes your body quite heavily.

JT always looks for the magic solution...eat like no tomorrow and some magic concept will fix it.

If you tell him it needs "eat less, exercise more" he'll be angry and call you names.....

So yeah, this is called HIIT. It is good to do it about 3 times a week. Your body needs a cycle of rest and workout. Its about activating your anabolic system.

Also, what is good is low intensity stuff like walking. That you can do everyday.

What is not considered good exercise anymore is the medium intensity stuff like jogging for long periods. You are more likely to lose muscle and your rate of return for energy expended is not so good. It doesn't trick your body into the fat burning state either. Nor does low intensity stuff, like walking, but you won't lose muscle that way either and energy expended is much less.

So to summarize, high intensity with intervals is very good. Low intensity in any form is good too. Medium intensity is not so good.

I would recommend a brisk daily walk on an empty stomach for 30-60 mins. The empty stomach is good for your anabolic system too.

Also, 3 times a week try to do HIIT. You can do it in any way you please: skipping ropes, short sprints, power walking, swimming, jumping jacks....sex...lol....whatever. It is the science behind it that is important, not what you actually do.

It will work best if you watch your carbs. Try to limit your carbs Mon-Fri to just 1 portion per day, then on weekends you may have 2 or 3 portions per day. This will create an insulin spike cycle, and thus "tricking" your body into burning more fat and saving muscle.

Beer is carbs too remember.

(Oh..and that Scottish fish n chips looks great. You don't get those chips anywhere else in the world, except good auld Scotland!)

Eat less, exercise more.

Yes it is as simple as that but.

Eat better, do anything as a start,

poor lifestyles take years to be broken

and require long term discipline many cant muster.

You don't have a comment on the specific topic, do you? The topic is not dime store weight control cliches. Everyone knows all that.

I did not reply to you, but if you want to know.

Because i developed my own form if hiit years and years ago, mostly trying to develop fast twitch muscle fibres.

These things tend to be for people already fit and not overweight.

Sorry if growing up with a professional sportsman as a father, a healthy food insistent mother, life long athlete status, qualified swim coach and never overweight by more than a few kgs that my contributions don't suit your needs for certain replies on an open forum.

right i'm off for a ride and later a swim

"Sorry if growing up with a professional sportsman as a father, a healthy food insistent mother, life long athlete status, qualified swim coach and never overweight by more than a few kgs that my contributions don't suit your needs for certain replies on an open forum."

You don't have to apologize for that, but you should apologize for high-jacking a thread with off-topic stuff. This thread is not about any of that. We are interested in discussing something else here.

What is being discussed here is the science behind raising your heart-rate to its peak and then allowing it to rest in intervals for about 20 mins, and the fat burning quality this has in comparison to traditional medium intensity jogging or swimming for a whole hour.

So yeah, this is called HIIT. It is good to do it about 3 times a week. Your body needs a cycle of rest and workout. Its about activating your anabolic system.

Also, what is good is low intensity stuff like walking. That you can do everyday.

What is not considered good exercise anymore is the medium intensity stuff like jogging for long periods. You are more likely to lose muscle and your rate of return for energy expended is not so good. It doesn't trick your body into the fat burning state either. Nor does low intensity stuff, like walking, but you won't lose muscle that way either and energy expended is much less.

So to summarize, high intensity with intervals is very good. Low intensity in any form is good too. Medium intensity is not so good.

I would recommend a brisk daily walk on an empty stomach for 30-60 mins. The empty stomach is good for your anabolic system too.

Also, 3 times a week try to do HIIT. You can do it in any way you please: skipping ropes, short sprints, power walking, swimming, jumping jacks....sex...lol....whatever. It is the science behind it that is important, not what you actually do.

It will work best if you watch your carbs. Try to limit your carbs Mon-Fri to just 1 portion per day, then on weekends you may have 2 or 3 portions per day. This will create an insulin spike cycle, and thus "tricking" your body into burning more fat and saving muscle.

(Oh..and that Scottish fish n chips looks great. You don't get those chips anywhere else in the world, except good auld Scotland!)

If I recall right beer has not much carbs. At least most beers.....

You are talking about carb cycling.. also real interesting topic.

...These things tend to be for people already fit and not overweight.

That was my thought as well.

HIIT for un(semi)fit or older people looks like a recipe for disaster.

Pulled muscles, hyperextension, ligament rupture, sprain, bone fractures, heat stroke, apoplectic stroke, heart attack are real risks when you go to the limit.

I did HIIT for quite a long time and I still play squash regularly which is similar to HIIT type exercise.

I use to do weights as well for many years but stopped over a year ago.

You really don't need to do any of this type of exercise to lose weight.

A bit of walking and some yoga is really enough.

It comes back to diet for most people although for older people especially over 50 there could a lot of other factors causing weight issues most especially thyroid issues and insulin issues.

If you can cut out sugar altogether and all processed foods then you will really find it hard to put on weight.

I was much fitter and stronger a few years back but since I really went on a very clean diet I am lighter and definitely much healthier.

It is important to remember that big muscles and a strong heart do not mean that you are healthy necessarily there is a lot more to health that that.

Well guys, I went to Carl's Jr today and it was ugly. Big Burger, Chocolate Shake with Cream on top and side order of fries with cheese sauce and bacon. Stay away from the Shakes - worse than cigarettes once you start.

Then I visited carl's usa calorie counter (couldn't find one for thailand) for fun. Here's the score card

Shake 700 calories

Burger 924

Fries 380

Total 2000 calories, 54 grams of protein, 120 grams of fat, 1000 calories from fat, 235 mg colestorol - I stopped reading after that.

Glad Songkran is coming up so I can burn this off!

very droll,enjoy sonkran

I did HIIT for quite a long time and I still play squash regularly which is similar to HIIT type exercise.

It comes back to diet for most people although for older people especially over 50 there could a lot of other factors causing weight issues most especially thyroid issues and insulin issues.

If you can cut out sugar altogether and all processed foods then you will really find it hard to put on weight.

I was much fitter and stronger a few years back but since I really went on a very clean diet I am lighter and definitely much healthier.

It is important to remember that big muscles and a strong heart do not mean that you are healthy necessarily there is a lot more to health that that.

You are making a statement based on your body type.. for some it really is hard loosing weight. I have lost it and kept it off and eat a healthy diet. I do juicing, kefir, almost no sugar.. almost no processed stuff. I kept it all off (gained a bit but that was muscle as I am quite a bit more muscular as I was after i lost the 25 kg). Kept that off since 2012, so still a few years to go until I am a success.

Just stating that weight loss is different for everyone some body types have a far harder time loosing it as others. I know I really had to go to extremes to loose it.

I think HIIT is a good tool for health.. and maybe to loose weight. A healthy diet is the main important factor you cant out train a bad diet. I wanted to do some HIIT but been sore from exercising and think that recovery is important too. If I train too much (i am still sore the next day after weightlifting sessions) I am sure it will be counter productive to HIIT then. But as an addition to steady state cardio its great.

...These things tend to be for people already fit and not overweight.

That was my thought as well.

HIIT for un(semi)fit or older people looks like a recipe for disaster.

Pulled muscles, hyperextension, ligament rupture, sprain, bone fractures, heat stroke, apoplectic stroke, heart attack are real risks when you go to the limit.

It does depend on what exercise you choose for HIIT.. rowing is a great one.. but of course one needs to know if he has an healthy heart or not. I would not do HIIT if one has health problems.

OK thanks again for the subset of on topic responses.

Where I'm at now from reading some outside links etc.

Of course I already well know that food intake is more important than exercise.

My rower is low tech and old. I doubt I could reach Hiit levels on it

Interval training is not the same as Hiit even though many people confuse the two.

Yes there is a high injury and burnout risk with true hiit programs.

I do have health concerns. Now doubtful hiit is really worth the risk to me.

I should vary my current program. My body is too used to it so I need to shake things up but hiitt may be too much shake for me.

The TV show may have oversold thus idea and/or I misinterpreted it

Cheers.

Variation is a good thing, better than doing the same but in fast and furious mode.

When I start a new exercise, I start EXTRA slow/light (I take this to ridiculous levels), too many bad experiences with a brash approach...

OK thanks again for the subset of on topic responses.

Where I'm at now from reading some outside links etc.

Of course I already well know that food intake is more important than exercise.

My rower is low tech and old. I doubt I could reach Hiit levels on it

Interval training is not the same as Hiit even though many people confuse the two.

Yes there is a high injury and burnout risk with true hiit programs.

I do have health concerns. Now doubtful hiit is really worth the risk to me.

I should vary my current program. My body is too used to it so I need to shake things up but hiitt may be too much shake for me.

The TV show may have oversold thus idea and/or I misinterpreted it

Cheers.

Yes JT its good to shake up your program, it will help.

Interval and HIIT are indeed not the same as in HIIT you need to full out.. interval training its not needed to go full out.

The easiest is running / walking routine like you saw in the show.. but you need to find a place to be able to do that.

You are making a statement based on your body type.. for some it really is hard loosing weight. I have lost it and kept it off and eat a healthy diet. I do juicing, kefir, almost no sugar.. almost no processed stuff. I kept it all off (gained a bit but that was muscle as I am quite a bit more muscular as I was after i lost the 25 kg). Kept that off since 2012, so still a few years to go until I am a success.

Just stating that weight loss is different for everyone some body types have a far harder time loosing it as others. I know I really had to go to extremes to loose it.

I think HIIT is a good tool for health.. and maybe to loose weight. A healthy diet is the main important factor you cant out train a bad diet. I wanted to do some HIIT but been sore from exercising and think that recovery is important too. If I train too much (i am still sore the next day after weightlifting sessions) I am sure it will be counter productive to HIIT then. But as an addition to steady state cardio its great.

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't necessarily even focus on weight loss.

Of course there are different body types and some people will naturally be bigger and might even have larger body fat but as long as they aren't too big and they are healthy then no m ore is really required.

I would focus on ensuring I had very good liver function and very good digestive function first and foremost.

You also need to look at the quality of food you are eating not just what you are eating. If you are not eating mainly organic produce then you are getting a barrage of chemicals in your daily food supply. Now some people handle this better than others but for those that don't the poor quality of the food itself can cause all sorts of issues especially as you get older.

Emotional issues should not be ignored either as our thoughts have a direct bearing on our health. Stress negative emotions etc can do even more harm than a poor diet!

Exercise is good but it is not a prerequisite nor is it a guarantee of weight loss or health. The body will find its own ideal weight provided you give it the nutrients it needs.

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't necessarily even focus on weight loss.

Of course there are different body types and some people will naturally be bigger and might even have larger body fat but as long as they aren't too big and they are healthy then no m ore is really required.

I would focus on ensuring I had very good liver function and very good digestive function first and foremost.

You also need to look at the quality of food you are eating not just what you are eating. If you are not eating mainly organic produce then you are getting a barrage of chemicals in your daily food supply. Now some people handle this better than others but for those that don't the poor quality of the food itself can cause all sorts of issues especially as you get older.

Emotional issues should not be ignored either as our thoughts have a direct bearing on our health. Stress negative emotions etc can do even more harm than a poor diet!

Exercise is good but it is not a prerequisite nor is it a guarantee of weight loss or health. The body will find its own ideal weight provided you give it the nutrients it needs.

Id love to go organic... but no such joy here .. I go to the local market for my vegetables for juicing (bittergourd / pak com / garlic / ginger / finger root / tomatoes / cucumbers / carrots) I wash them good and then see what happens. Its better as not doing it.

Take my kefir.. and other good foods.. I am definitely living relatively healthy.

Oh I am lean.. just not as lean as a sprinter.. but as i said there are some limits that are hard to break if you have a certain bodytype. Those skinny lean guys would have trouble packing muscle. Just doing deadlifts does not mean you get big.. you need good food and good genes too.

I think you should not ignore genes in how easy it is to loose weight and to go to extremes. The norm everyone can reach.. but that is not my game.

Id love to go organic... but no such joy here .. I go to the local market for my vegetables for juicing (bittergourd / pak com / garlic / ginger / finger root / tomatoes / cucumbers / carrots) I wash them good and then see what happens. Its better as not doing it.

Take my kefir.. and other good foods.. I am definitely living relatively healthy.

Oh I am lean.. just not as lean as a sprinter.. but as i said there are some limits that are hard to break if you have a certain bodytype. Those skinny lean guys would have trouble packing muscle. Just doing deadlifts does not mean you get big.. you need good food and good genes too.

I think you should not ignore genes in how easy it is to loose weight and to go to extremes. The norm everyone can reach.. but that is not my game.

In Pattaya you can get a fair bit of organic produce.

I can get grass fed aussie beef, organic eggs, organic rice, organic flour, some organic vegetables, some organic fruit and of course there are certain fruits that are less problematic if they are organic or not like bananas or any thick skinned fruit.

So it is doable just not as good as what I can get home.

Archived