Small Duck Farm for Eggs

Hello all,

We love duck eggs.

The wifey is a bit of a country bumpkin and has some ideas about farming, though she lived in BKK for a long time, and thinks she knows everything about everything anyway, so no longer has much credibility.

So, i come to Thaivisa seeking advice from the experts.

It would be a very small operation in our garden (1.5 rai). We are are Isaan. We want to keep them mostly for eggs (personal consumption) and for enjoyment (pets). If it goes well, we could expand to sell them since we have a shop anyway.

And since i know little of ducks in Thailand, I am wondering:

1. Which kind of ducks are good for eggs and relatively easy to take care of?
  2. What kind of enclosure is recommended for such ducks?
  3. How important is water for them and how much water is recommended, let's say, for 10 or 15 ducks?

Cheers!wai2.gif Anything I forgot?

Edited by ChrisB87

Just a quick query - is that a small, duck farm or a small duck, farm?

Just kidding! But it does show how different interpretations can arise. Punctuation can be important (despite what the legal profession thinks). coffee1.gif

my wife bought 10 ducks in the local market, after 2 month 4 left, now after 6 month still no eggs,maybe all of them boys, we keep them in a birdaviary together with 2 geese and 6 budgies in the night.they never leave the land even we have no fence.Important is a little pond they like water

There should be ducks' farms around almost in every C.

I got mine at kampheang phet at around 30b each and they all female for laying egg.

You need to miw anti flu medicine to their drinking water and feed duckling food for 1-2 month and they can feed on fishes shells and prawns at later state

Need 4-5 months for them to start laying

Hope that help.

Khaki Campbells are good ducks.. They are the brown ones you see just about everywhere.

1.5 rai is plenty of land for at least 15-20 ducks.

You will need a secure pen, about 4ft x 8ft would be big enough for that amount and make sure it is snake proof.

Water is important for them but you only need a small pond.

They will eat almost anything but make sure to give them enough calcium to produce solid egg shells (prawn shells or crab shells, crushed up). You can buy bags of duck good but mine eat pig feed (cheaper :) )

They will get used to their pen if you keep them inside for couple days, then they will return every evening for food.

My mixed bird pen

post-85853-14284852788061_thumb.jpg

Just kidding! But it does show how different interpretations can arise. Punctuation can be important (despite what the legal profession thinks). coffee1.gif

I just love it when the grammar police is incorrect.

Please contact your nearest prathom 3 student for the rules on commas. I am sure he or she would be glad to steer you in the right direction.

(The OP's title is perfectly correct, by the way.)

Edited by EmptyHead

Khaki Campbells are good ducks.. They are the brown ones you see just about everywhere.

I'm told that the white peking ducks are better but hard to find.

You only need 1/4 rai for 15-20 ducks.

my wife bought 10 ducks in the local market, after 2 month 4 left, now after 6 month still no eggs,maybe all of them boys, we keep them in a birdaviary together with 2 geese and 6 budgies in the night.they never leave the land even we have no fence.Important is a little pond they like water

I got 14 but end up with 11 after 2 months,you got to tell them you want eggs laying ducks so they can find you the female,I got mine direct from duckling farm while my friend buy 10k and he sublet me 14

???

I'm told that the white peking ducks are better but hard to find.

You only need 1/4 rai for 15-20 ducks.

Actually, you only need a 4ft x 8ft pen for 15-20 ducks. However, I love my ducks so give them free range of 6 Rai :)

I just love it when the grammar police is incorrect.

Please contact your nearest prathom 3 student for the rules on commas. I am sure he or she would be glad to steer you in the right direction.

(The OP's title is perfectly correct, by the way.)

Lighten up. I am NOT the grammar police. Sure it is a title and there is no argument from me on that one.

Some people say to always use it (comma) and other people say to only use it when leaving it out could cause confusion. It’s a style choice. And I guess that american spelling of words is not acceptable to you either? Unless you're american of course (and I am not) but there is a certain attraction to simplification of the english language. A language that is continually evolving.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader
Sayonara smile.png
Edited by lvr181

I recommend Moscovy ducks. They don't need to swim in water.

They are a large duck and the males are colored differently than the females. It is important to know which are males because male ducks sometimes will "murder" the other young males to keep their herem to themselves.

The downside to Muscovies is that they have a "claw" on their foot and it can cut you if you are not wary.

Very tasty large eggs and very prolific birds. The meat is very tasty, too.

right ill put my bit in,

moskovies are good for sitting other ducks eggs, the dont lay as well as karkies or pekings,

karkies and pekings will lay an egg every day,

karkies are very scitish and dont get to tame,

but on the other hand pekings are very tame,,( puddle ducks)

we have all 3, as i said we use the moskovies to sit the others eggs, but if we dont have one sitting we use the incubator,

ive put a pic of our duck run, but we have them walking round also,

as for water, we have a pond behind the pig stys, but you can just get one of them builders cement mixing things, the big black one you see, they cost about 800 bht,

they will be happy with that, they just like to have a bath in the morning,

plus you can allways plant trees still on the land, just wire them off till they are large enough they will eat the bottom off them,

as for the run, we have most of our in about 1/4 of a rai.

pic of pekings, and some young karkies, and the gander who took to a group of young karkies,,lol also my new duck shed i built myself with some of my pigeons of roof also the pool i did in the front of it

anyway thats my 2peneth worth,

post-32351-0-07650000-1428493821_thumb.j

post-32351-0-09714600-1428493874_thumb.j

post-32351-0-86966000-1428493916_thumb.j

post-32351-0-54254600-1428494052_thumb.j

hi chris,

because i want our for egg laying we feed egg laying feed, they will eat anything but they wont lay as well if you dont feed the right feed,

same with laying chickens, you have to feed them laying feed for them to lay right,

peking also make a very good meat duck, not so much on karkies,

and ill tell you how to tell the difference between male and female,

1, in moskovies the male will be twice as big and have lots more wattling round his face,

2, karkies the drake has a couple of curled up tail feathers,

3 peking they too have a couple of curled up tail feathers also the beat is a different colour on the males,

as for when and how often to feed, we have feed infront of our all the time, its in the sleeping area,

one thing you have to watch out for with karkies, they will lay there eggs anywere, the must walk along and thing, i need to lay and egg and plop its out,, you can lock them in till they have all laid then let them out, i just walk round picking them up,

also you dont get many karkies going broody ( wanting to sit a clutch of eggs,) you get the odd one but few and far between,

but with pekings they will sit,

moskovies are the best for sitting, but please remember that moskovie females can fly very very well, the males cant they are to heavy,

I recommend Moscovy ducks. They don't need to swim in water.

They are a large duck and the males are colored differently than the females. It is important to know which are males because male ducks sometimes will "murder" the other young males to keep their herem to themselves.

The downside to Muscovies is that they have a "claw" on their foot and it can cut you if you are not wary.

Very tasty large eggs and very prolific birds. The meat is very tasty, too.

Muscovies can also deal out nasty pecks.

• 11 months later...