Best middleweight naked bike in Thailand?

I have the feeling this post will create a flurry of replies and strong opinions (hopefully on topic), but here goes anyway:

After having owned a Honda 350 and then a Kawasaki KZ650 roughly a million years ago, I've decided that I want to take up the joy of biking on some mountain roads again here in LOS. So, I would like to buy a decent middleweight naked (standard) bike - used, if possible, but new might be OK as well, if not too pricey.

I've looked at a lot of recent reviews of various bikes in this category, like the Honda CB650F, the Yamaha FZ-09, the Triumph Street Triple, and I've even been sniffing around the Ducati Monster website and reviews. The CB650F and FZ-09 are rated very highly (for the price), but both apparently could benefit from improved suspension components.

I don't intend to be throwing my future bike into wild, peg-scraping turns, but I would very much like the suspension to be predictable, especially in those occasional situations where you need the bike to perform in order to avoid, or prevent, a collision. The KZ650 mentioned above nearly killed me a couple times with strange, unpredictable gyrations which were probably related to the chassis, the suspension, or both. I don't want to go through THAT again!

For what it's worth, I don't think I'll be going on long road trips, maybe just a few hours at a time for joyriding, or maybe a day-trip, at the longest.

I've been using the Honda as a reference point in terms of price (285K new), but I could go beyond that, if I feel that the bike value is worth it. Any suggestions, folks?

Ducati monster 796, second hand with low k's for around 350k baht.

That's yesterdays / this mornings choice for me. Last week it was cb650f. Week before it was an ER6N, BMW F800R, Kawa z800.. Ducati scrambler in there somewhere as well.

Or just bite the bullet with a new 821 monster.

As you can see I'm in the same predicament.

• Like 1

The Baht & Sold website has a nice search feature. You can drill down into the ads by searching price range or Make Model.

Go see what is available.

There are a few KTM 690 Enduros for sale that get me jizzing. Might be worth the extra investment if you have the means.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird
  • Like 1

Both bikes you mention are excellent bikes and like someone already said, the ER6n is really good and best value for money out there if you buy second hand.

I would look at the Ducati Scrambler if you're looking for a fun bike. Hard to beat it in that department, I think.

Are you more of a 2 cylinder guy or an inline 4 lover?

• Like 1

How about a nice 1983 Honda NV400 shaft drive? fantastic bike with one careful owner (all the others were reckless) I would take 235k for mine and even throw in a secondhand (greasy inside) crash hat and an oil drip tray.

Or buy a brand new CB500 and have some money left over.

If you are getting back into biking after a long break, ride slower especially in LOS, you are in a bad category.

Ducati monster 796, second hand with low k's for around 350k baht.

That's yesterdays / this mornings choice for me. Last week it was cb650f. Week before it was an ER6N, BMW F800R, Kawa z800.. Ducati scrambler in there somewhere as well.

Or just bite the bullet with a new 821 monster.

As you can see I'm in the same predicament.

Hmmm...the 796 Monster (hopefully with ABS) is pretty appealing. I have the feeling the suspension on the Monster would be superior to either the Honda or the Yamaha also. However, I've heard stories that they're extremely uncomfortable, if you happen to have testicles!

Of the bikes you listed, the Street Triple would likely be the most fun choice- the FZ-09 is good as well, but, as you noted, you would likely want to upgrade the suspension (though possibly not, especially if your not very heavy).

Yeah, I wondered about that. I'm around 100 kilos.

How about a nice 1983 Honda NV400 shaft drive? fantastic bike with one careful owner (all the others were reckless) I would take 235k for mine and even throw in a secondhand (greasy inside) crash hat and an oil drip tray.

If you are getting back into biking after a long break, ride slower especially in LOS, you are in a bad category.

Thanks for your expression of concern, but I already put about 700 to 800K on a bicycle over the last year, and I've been riding friend's scooters quite a bit recently as well, so I think my proficiency on two wheels is pretty good again. And I should mention that I have absolutely no intention of riding beyond my ability, regardless of the capabilities the machine underneath me! I'm well aware of the dangers, and I think this is why I've been carefully pondering the idea for the last 6 months rather than diving in and buying something.

Both bikes you mention are excellent bikes and like someone already said, the ER6n is really good and best value for money out there if you buy second hand.

I would look at the Ducati Scrambler if you're looking for a fun bike. Hard to beat it in that department, I think.

Are you more of a 2 cylinder guy or an inline 4 lover?

You pose an interesting question. As I mentioned above, I have had both in the past, and I must say the four cylinder Kawasaki was extremely smooth, but I also love the sound of a big displacement twin (I can't help but think of Harley-Davidson and Ducati here). So, I guess the short answer is: as long as the performance is comparable, I would probably prefer the twin. But the performance of the bike is what's most important to me, and of course, the bang for the buck.

Of the bikes you listed, the Street Triple would likely be the most fun choice- the FZ-09 is good as well, but, as you noted, you would likely want to upgrade the suspension (though possibly not, especially if your not very heavy).

Yeah, I wondered about that. I'm around 100 kilos.
So geared-up ~105kg- that's pretty heavy for the stock suspension of the FZ-09. Still, if you're willing to put a few bucks into it to stiffen things up a bit, it's a really nice bike (as a couple member-owners can attest). That Street Triple is very appealing, though, especially with the new lower price... Edited by RubberSideDown

Thanks for your expression of concern, but I already put about 700 to 800K on a bicycle over the last year, and I've been riding friend's scooters quite a bit recently as well, so I think my proficiency on two wheels is pretty good again. And I should mention that I have absolutely no intention of riding beyond my ability, regardless of the capabilities the machine underneath me! I'm well aware of the dangers, and I think this is why I've been carefully pondering the idea for the last 6 months rather than diving in and buying something.

I wasn't having a dig old chap, just remember a program on UK TV a while back about guys returning to biking after a long break, you mentioned a million years, so I thought that was quite long. Something about your paunch resting on the tank too.........wacko.png

You should ABSOLUTELY go back to proper biking IMO and Thailand is fine provided you have an extra set of eyes transplanted into the back of your head. So I/we look forward to hearing about what you settle upon, what you do and where you go........

• Like 1

I wasn't having a dig old chap, just remember a program on UK TV a while back about guys returning to biking after a long break, you mentioned a million years, so I thought that was quite long. Something about your paunch resting on the tank too.........wacko.png

You should ABSOLUTELY go back to proper biking IMO and Thailand is fine provided you have an extra set of eyes transplanted into the back of your head. So I/we look forward to hearing about what you settle upon, what you do and where you go........

Apologies if I came across as defensive, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to clarify to any interested parties in this thread that I'm being realistic about starting to ride again - and not just entertaining a fantasy, and wasting their time in the process. biggrin.png

As far as the paunch resting on the tank, well, that might prove to be at least partly true. whistling.gif

I also wanted to ask for any possible feedback about maintenance. I have a Thai friend who recommended the Honda purely because he feels it will be the easiest (and cheapest) to maintain, and to find parts for, as needed. Also, I believe the Ducatis need a fairly expensive valve adjustment periodically (because of their desmodromic design), but other than these two tidbits, I don't have much knowledge of the maintenance issues with these bikes. Any thoughts on that?

I also wanted to ask for any possible feedback about maintenance. I have a Thai friend who recommended the Honda purely because he feels it will be the easiest (and cheapest) to maintain, and to find parts for, as needed. Also, I believe the Ducatis need a fairly expensive valve adjustment periodically (because of their desmodromic design), but other than these two tidbits, I don't have much knowledge of the maintenance issues with these bikes. Any thoughts on that?

Honda and Kawasaki have the best network of dealerships. If it's a concern go with one of those two. Ducati isn't bad but Yamaha and the rest aren't very good at all in that respect.

• Like 2

I have a 650 Versys and find it a great all around bike. Super comfortable for longer rides but with plenty of giddy up for when the need or desire arises. Lots of tech support from Kawasaki here and pretty reasonable to buy new or used. Decent used can be had for 200,000 or so.

Easy to get panniers for touring and it basically has a bullet proof engine.

• Like 1

Just get a second hand CB500F, enough power for what you want to do with it and second hand starts as low as 150K.

Enough money left to change/upgrade it to your liking.

I bought a used CB500F a few months ago and could not be happier with the choice... I rented several mid-sized bikes from Pop's in Chiang Mai to compare them before buying... After riding the Versys, CB500/650~s and the ER6N, I liked the CB500F the most, YMMV...

The choice of new bikes should also include the Yamaha MT-07 - now on sale here for 299,000 with ABS.

Street Triple R is I'd say the best naked middleweight 'out of the box' and price is now 465,000 I think, as opposed to 750,000 last year. The FZ-09 has a bigger and better engine than the Striple but stock suspension isn't as good and it doesn't have ABS. It is however a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Street Triple is hands down the best naked - just read the reviews and comparisons too. Price has cone down in Thailand too, so around the same as the Monster.

So, if the prices are roughly comparable between the Street Triple and the Monster, I'm assuming you'd prefer the Triumph? I've seen reviews of the Street Triple vs. the CB650F and the FZ-09, but I've never seen a comparison between the Triumph and the Monster. Can you shed some light on why you might prefer the Triumph over the Ducati? I always thought the Ducatis were considered the premier bikes in their class (because of power, suspension, braking, handling, etc) - but in the past were considerably more expensive, and therefore not a good value when compared to other bikes. If the prices for the Ducatis are coming down (as are those for the Triumphs, apparently), the comparison should boil down to performance, maintainability, etc. Please advise!

Edited by seedy
reply in quote