The Moat in Chiang Mai Declared Safe for Songkran

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-46777400-1428527489_thumb. Katam Corner, Chiang Mai, Thailand - Stock Image Detail of the city wall and moat of Chiang Mai, Thailand

After great effort, authorities have announced that the famed moat in Chiang Mai is up to safety standards for the much-awaited Songkran festivities. Initial reports indicated that the moat contained parasites and prompted immediate action from authorities.

Chlorine was used to kill many of the bugs and parasites in the water and is now deemed safe for water fight usage.

Pollution levels are now deemed “moderate” by Maejo Agricultural University, which means it can be safely used during the April 10 – 15 festivities. The university conducted the initial tests that alerted authorities of the problem.

Chiang Mai’s municipality states that the old moat is a very important part of Songkran. Reliant on tourism, the municipality immediately conducted more tests and followed chlorination recommendations from experts at the university.

There has been no announcement of whether the water will be safe for consumption.

There are currently 12 tap water vending machines that have been placed strategically around the area and are meant specifically for Songkran revelers.

Precautions have also been taken near Nawarat Bridge. Water mist sprayers have been installed at the main gate leading into the old town in an effort to help cool down all those that attend Songkran.

tvn.png

-- 2015-04-08

Year after year the same announcement, the funny thing is if they put enough chlorine in to kill bacteria or parasites there would be thousands of dead fish floating on the surface (the moat is full of fish), the small ammount of chlorine in tap water is enough to kill fish.

• Like 1

Just walking near the moat, the water still smells awful as usual this morning and considering that the moat has very large numbers of fish in it - and that there are not a large number of floating dead fish now - then either the chlorine was imaginary - or - it was put in the water that was checked after the water sample was taken from the moat. The stagnant water in the River Ping is just as bad or worse and stinks as usual this morning also.

another almost instant cure/solution to a potential bad press/media report just prior to our annual outbreak of rashes, infections, and various other sources of mayham in the quest for the almighty baht.

Did they clean out the turd laid by that middle aged Chinese tourist yet?

I've been to Chiang Mai for Songkran and wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near that moat. It's filthy, vile and going to be full of people. Not a place for me. But this year I've got a much more exciting plan than to spend Songkran in Thailand, which is the same every year anyway. I'm heading to Laos, where I know, it's quite similar, but it will have some nicer touches to it, is slightly more traditional, somewhat fewer crowds and less traffic.

I'll probably get bored of Songkran eventually though, irrespective of which neighboring country which celebrates it, I choose to spend my time in so in future maybe I should just consider travelling somewhere without all the madness, like the rest of you seem to do.

• Like 1

All the officials should be lined up and have Moat water thrown all over their faces and bare chests to prove that the water is safe. Perhaps when they become '' moderately '' polluted people themselves they can expect visitors and the general public to follow suit !

Throwing Chiang Mai moat water at a person should be a criminal offence.

It certainly is the cause of many serious infections and who knows.........deaths?

There should be a police patrol stationed at intervals around the moat.

Year after year the same announcement, the funny thing is if they put enough chlorine in to kill bacteria or parasites there would be thousands of dead fish floating on the surface (the moat is full of fish), the small ammount of chlorine in tap water is enough to kill fish.

OMG ,not just water but now you might get a dead fish across the kisser !

OMG ,not just water but now you might get a dead fish across the kisser !

Especially be wary of those..."flying brown trouts"

Seriously though, don't walk moat side if you're in downtown Chiang Mai, getting wet from the ice water from the bars is much safer!

Who knows? The ice water from the bars could be from the moat? Lol;)

Yeah, and farmland around Fukashima is safe for rehabilitation. Rule number 1: don't believe government agencies or corporate stakeholders. Rule number 2: re-read rule number 1.