France not a good example of democracy, says Kraisak Choonhavan

webfact

At least France has freedom of speech and you can say and write that president Hollande is an !d!ot without getting jailed.

Try that in Thailand.

you can try in France, you will be fall for defamatory...

There were some protesters who criticize Holland or Fromer president Sarkozy these people were arrest and detain by presidential security....

You cannot make any negative remark against power without have an investigation from police or see revenue inspector control you

In France there are not really freedom of speech......... you cannot criticize religion, a joke in a "lay" country....

You have the right to say that Hollande is an idiot and won't fall for defamation.

Just have a look at the "canard Enchaine" and see how far they go in articles and cartoons.

You can criticze religion, there are only two regions in north east of France where there is an old religion defamation law which is not even applied anymore.

You can pretty much anything as long as you express your opinion or in case of legal assumption you have evidences.

The main difference between french and some other countries in term of trial is that the offended has to prove he is offended and why, it s not the defendant to prove he didn t did anything wrong

You re knew as innocent as long as not proved guilty, which is not the case in some saxons countries for exemple.

During colonies the french politic was not democratic in the colonies for sure...like any country having colonies (just look at the Israel settlements)

However today France is much closer to democracy than Thailand..

The real question here; Is Thailand ready for a democracy? Just off the top of my head, I would say no.

The other real question : Do you think Thailand is ready for D...? just off the top of my head, I would say no,...they already went there and ended in a ugly way

Does anyone know if this law in France that equals Article 44 has since been removed from the French legal framewrok?

Good question.

I am looking for this, but yes mainly most of the laws for the colonies have been removed or changed.

One law still say the french President can declare martial law in Algeria. (or emergency state, not sure)

At least France has freedom of speech and you can say and write that president Hollande is an !d!ot without getting jailed.

Try that in Thailand.

There were some protesters who criticize Holland or Fromer president Sarkozy these people were arrest and detain by presidential security....

You cannot make any negative remark against power without have an investigation from police or see revenue inspector control you

In France there are not really freedom of speech......... you cannot criticize religion, a joke in a "lay" country....

You can say whatever you want about whoever you want. The only people who benefit of some special protection are the jewishes because of what happened during WWIII. On the other hand muslim and catholics are fair game.

Actually I'm quite surprised that Thai officials refer to France as an example to follow after what happened in early 1793.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

The real question here; Is Thailand ready for a democracy? Just off the top of my head, I would say no.

The other real question : Do you think Thailand is ready for D...? just off the top of my head, I would say no,...they already went there and ended in a ugly way

There are loads of nice young ladies in Thailand who are ready for the D.

• Like 1

There are loads of nice young ladies in Thailand who are ready for the D.

I was aboutto make this joke myself....

Try that in Thailand.

You can say whatever you want about whoever you want. The only people who benefit of some special protection are the jewishes because of what happened during WWIII. On the other hand muslim and catholics are fair game.

Actually I'm quite surprised that Thai officials refer to France as an example to follow after what happened in early 1793.

Was there a WWIII? Hope I am not like Rip Van Winkle.

Does anyone know if this law in France that equals Article 44 has since been removed from the French legal framewrok?

Good question.

So : the special powers were Granted to Guy Mollet in 1956 :

http://www.fsmitha.com/h2/ch23algeria.htm

History shown those special powers accentuated tortures, jail abuses, and finally lead to independance War...

So dear Prayout-chan, you re still want to raise France as an exemple for this f#king law?

Edited by aaacorp

Good question.

So : the special powers were Granted to Guy Mollet in 1956 :

http://www.fsmitha.com/h2/ch23algeria.htm

History shown those special powers accentuated tortures, jail abuses, and finally lead to independance War...

So dear Prayout-chan, you re still want to raise France as an exemple for this f#king law?

1956? Ahhh...the world's leading democractic country was busy teaching democracy in the Korea.

Try that in Thailand.

They were arrested?

Show me ONE Case!

just one, please!

Try that in Thailand.

They were arrested?

Show me ONE Case!

just one, please!

DIeudonne...even if he goes too far, he was arrested and had to pay huge fines for the "offensive speech about jews" and "hate speech"...

Local Drunk chuckles into the bottom of his mug and grunts..."There is no way it is over."

Try that in Thailand.

They were arrested?

Show me ONE Case!

just one, please!

DIeudonne...even if he goes too far, he was arrested and had to pay huge fines for the "offensive speech about jews" and "hate speech"...

Yeah...anti-semetic rants and hate- speech are forbidden in many places...and that is something else as criticizing or even insulting the President.

Local Drunk chuckles into the bottom of his mug and grunts..."There is no way it is over."

And for once he is right L it s far from over....and even if we all know the hidden reason for not leaving the power until this event happens, Prayout should be more carefull when speaking about colonial laws applied in Algeria by French government : it ended with a war

What I don't understand is how the present French Constitution, which dates of 1958 could be used to c rack down on colonies before WW2?

And if you compare Thai Constitution Art. 44 with Art. 16 of the French Constitution anyone can see that these two articles are miles apart.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is how the present French Constitution, which dates of 1958 could be used to c rack down on colonies before WW2?

And if you compare Thai Constitution Art. 44 with Art. 16 of the French Constitution anyone can see that these two articles are miles apart.

It s about this :

http://www.lutte-ouvriere-journal.org/2006/03/15/il-y-50-ans-le-12-mars-1956-le-pcf-votait-les-pouvoirs-speciaux-au-gouvernement-guy-mollet_12662.html (in French)

http://www.crimesofwar.org/a-z-guide/algeria-3/ (in english)

Edited by aaacorp

"France used this kind of law to crack down on countries during its colonial rule before World War" ... yeah 100 years ago... and the illegal junta want to go back to those times... wonderful

Long live the PM

France was not a good example of democracy

It's a dam sight closer to it than anything you and your mates would like to implement.

No it is not.....read about how you can be nominated as presidential candidate.....

Medium sized parties can not have any voice in parliament. France is a very bad example.

Why? Because the voters will keep on electing people you don't approve of?

No because parties go around, hand out 500 Baht and the voter think that is a good idea. Everyone with enough funds can win in Thailand. But for that we don't need election....lets compare the bank books and who has more who will be premier...

Why? Because the voters will keep on electing people you don't approve of?

No because parties go around, hand out 500 Baht and the voter think that is a good idea. Everyone with enough funds can win in Thailand. But for that we don't need election....lets compare the bank books and who has more who will be premier...

Better still, let the man with the guns take it, its not as if the will of the electorate means anything (to you) is it?

• Like 1

So France is not now a good example of democracy because of it's pas colonial laws. It further confirms that these guys are under the modernity of the 50's.

You must te relearn your history, France has make a lot of harm to Thailand with his gunship diplomacy......

Preah Vihar is one of result of this colonial time, when English and French wanted to control Thailand

On the contrary, France protected the region, particularly Laos from Thai expansionism. If you recall the history, Thailand made an opportunistic land grab during WWII and the Vichy French pressured the Japanese to hold Thailand in check. Thailand was actively collaborating with Japan while other countries in the region were resisting the Japanese. A large part of the resistance movement was associated with the communists, while the 'military' faction was in the Japanese camp. Many people forget that the communists played an important role in removing the Japanese and then the French colonial forces. When we forget history, it tends to repeat itself.

• Like 2

Could those sounding off about France and Germany find them on a blank world map ?

I doubt it.

So do I. Geographic knowledge is poor in many countries. A few moments watching this clip will help you understand why the Americans are a lot smarter than the Thais. And to appease all those who think it's an America bash, substitute the UK, and even Canada.

• Like 2

So France is not now a good example of democracy because of it's pas colonial laws. It further confirms that these guys are under the modernity of the 50's.

You must te relearn your history, France has make a lot of harm to Thailand with his gunship diplomacy......

Preah Vihar is one of result of this colonial time, when English and French wanted to control Thailand

On the contrary, France protected the region, particularly Laos from Thai expansionism. If you recall the history, Thailand made an opportunistic land grab during WWII and the Vichy French pressured the Japanese to hold Thailand in check. Thailand was actively collaborating with Japan while other countries in the region were resisting the Japanese. A large part of the resistance movement was associated with the communists, while the 'military' faction was in the Japanese camp. Many people forget that the communists played an important role in removing the Japanese and then the French colonial forces. When we forget history, it tends to repeat itself.

On the contrary Japan pressured France to cede Champassak Province and Xaignabouli in Laos and Battambang Province in Cambodia to Thailand. These provinces would later be returned to their respective nations by Thailand after France threatened to block Thai entry into the United Nations following World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Protectorate_of_Laos

When we forget history it tends to repeat itself.

Edited by lostoday
  • Like 1

A solution against vote buying would be : referendums about all major decisions.

Buying votes for 500 B , every couple of years is easy , buying them every couple of months , would drain the politicians finances. Not very practical in a country like Thailand , logisticly and a population of clueless & smartphone addicts.

Doing it via the internet , impossible due to hacking from within and of course from outside "3 letter agencies"....

Back to the drawing board.