Police mull special driver licence for big bikes

Lite Beer

Just have a proper test in the first place. Not drive around a car park and show you can stop 3 times. Maybe a separate licence for automatic and manual for cars and bikes. If you pass the test for manual you get to drive the automatic also. Tests taken on roads not car park like areas. The whole system need sorting. Police also to workprk as police not just issue fines. As it make sure people abide by traffic laws.

How about thinking to introduce regular driving lessons at the school as it is done Europe and not only for small bikes but for bycicles as well...would bring much more for sure !!!!!

and show in the school classes the horror pics of crashes with motorbikes and with young people disabled because not wearing a helmet

Again one of these green table discussions starting on the wrong end

Since when were the police supposed to decide new laws ?.

This should be from government policy. The police are simply servants to uphold it. If they can decide laws themselves, who knows what we might end up with.

Actually I know the answer : the BiB and their magnificent reputation.

• Like 1

But the so called best country in the free world, the good ole US of A doesn't have a special or tiered licensing for bigger bikes and isn't that the country that we all aspire to be like?

Not exactly true, but Hell who cares about facts when any topic, probably including littering can prompt someone to decide it's time for a anti US rant. As the saying in the newspaper world goes..."a story too good to check"

In California for example there are two classes, M1 & M2. M1 is good for any class of bike, and M2 limit's the rider to scooters. Anyone under the age of 21 must show proof of a motorcycle rider training class. There is more, but I think you get the gist.

Oh Dammit, hate when fact gets in the way of hyperbole!

California isn't the whole of America. The fact is, in most states, once you have passed your test you can ride whatever you want.

Anyway this will never happen anytime soon.

I think you're missing my point. (DELETED) more all the posters on here that get on their high horse about laws in Thailand etc

Actually I think this would be a good law but the age 30 is too high, however I don't think big bikes are the problem as they tend to be more responsible riders/drivers than other road users.

Edited by seedy
off topic

I think the Thai police have been looking at the Italian police methods.

Now that we have all these big bikes on the road..

How we gunna catch them ?

Obviously we need even Bigger Bikes for the police !!

Hmm..

Khun Minister we need to buy many Hayabusers for our motorcy polit (AKA: bike enthusiasts)

so we can be the Big Boss of the highway. (our meeanoi will be impressed too ..)

I mean the uniform is a great chick magnet, but imagine us on a Hayabuser ! or similar ..

Mmmm ..The Power ..

You could throw in a few of those confiscated Lambos too, we can put them to good use down at the club on weekends!

• Like 1

But the so called best country in the free world, the good ole US of A doesn't have a special or tiered licensing for bigger bikes and isn't that the country that we all aspire to be like?

They used to have a two tiered license 700cc max then next level. Now they have motorcycle training and License courses all over. They are very good programs.

It's an interesting concept but as a Phuket Ninja 650 rider I can say with confidence that the fastest bikes on the road that I don't dare try to keep up with are 110/125 scooter and small bikes driven by Thais, they are by far the quickest and craziest things on the road. Also most accidents are caused by inexperienced foreigners that think they know it all on Scoopys and Clicks. I've read about many accidents with big bikes, but am yet to see one with my own eyes. I wonder how much these big bike licences will cost for the more expensive big bikes.......

• Like 1

I think you're missing my point. , more all the posters on here that get on their high horse about laws in Thailand etc

Actually I think this would be a good law but the age 30 is too high, however I don't think big bikes are the problem as they tend to be more responsible riders/drivers than other road users.

Sorry if I was overly sensitive, just sometimes the anti Americanism on TVF gets tiresome and I may have over-interpreted your post

Most young kids can't afford a big bike, and they ride these little 125cc bikes like greased lightning anyway...

People that I know that can afford big bikes are usually older, have had a few bikes and are more careful.

...but I see his logic, and personally, I think it's in the right direction.

I also see his logic. BIB will be able to pull over every big bike they see. They will know that big bike drivers have more money. No special license? That will cost you 1000 baht! Great money making scheme for the BIB. They won't have to squeeze 100 baht from the kids riding without helmets from now on and that means less work for more money.

I don't think big bikes have higher accident rates in Thailand. If there was such a study, I might support the proposed licensing law. But, this is Thailand and I know they don't compile accident report statistics. Otherwise. a lot of hazardous road conditions would have been fixed by now.

But, ZR, if you obey the law - and upgrade your licence to a "big Bike" licence, you want be asked to pay those hefty fines you talk about

If riders with this license can then use these big bikes on the tollways, it is definitely a good thing.

Do not agree (read this all in caps)

No bikes should be allowed on the tollways here, its is simply too dangerous for bike riders and also for car/van/bus/lorry/etc drivers. Many big bike riders here (in common with most riders/drivers) have absolutly no road sense whatsoever and this will just add to the daily carnage. Plus add to the delays at the tolls when the drivers fiddle about with goves etc to find their money (yes universal Easy Pass solves this, but it won't happen for long while yet).

Despite the bans you often do get bikes on the tollways here (frequently policemen riding against the traffic flow) and they always cause problems.

• Like 1

Ya because big bikes cause all the major road accident deaths. Where do these muppets get these ideas?

I do not think the reason for upgrading the licence for big bikes is because of current accidents, it is to (hopefully) prevent some inexperienced youngster from jumping onto a big bike, which needs, not only good understanding of the bike and control, but a depth of experience in road sense. I have ridden big bikes for over fifty years now, (current one is 1500cc) and they aint easy riders!

• Like 2

As usual, another random act of blind stupidity! Where did they get the idea of 400CC being a cut off point?

If these clowns even bothered to look at their own statistics they clearly show that the majority of motorcycle accidents and deaths involve sub 250CC bikes and scooters.

I have attached a file that was put together by the University of Michigan using data supplied by the (DELETED) that clearly shows the real problems.

(DELETED)

Surely introducing BASIC INSTRUCTION to ride ANY motorbike would likely be a better place to start?

You cannot compare Western Driving Standards to Thailand, it is a totally different mindset, where in the west would find on a regular basis entire families of 3 or 4 people riding on a 110CC bike in heavy traffic, probably carrying their baby in their arms and no helmets? It is comparing Apples and Oranges.

132-149-1-SM.pdf

Edited by seedy
disrespect for Thai people
  • Like 1

Since when were the police supposed to decide new laws ?.

This should be from government policy. The police are simply servants to uphold it. If they can decide laws themselves, who knows what we might end up with.

Actually I know the answer : the BiB and their magnificent reputation.

They don't decide new laws. The policeman in question is expressing his opinion only.

Is this idea a reaction to a statistical analysis comparing numbers of crashes of big bikes and small bikes? Or just some bright spark trying to justify his daily pay?

My totally blind analysis tells me that small bikes are the ones that crash the most . . . The ones with young drunk idiots on them.

Those chicks in the pics would not need any licences - all they would need to do when the cop asks them to show the licence is to give him a card with their phone number!

• Like 1

Is this idea a reaction to a statistical analysis comparing numbers of crashes of big bikes and small bikes? Or just some bright spark trying to justify his daily pay?

My totally blind analysis tells me that small bikes are the ones that crash the most . . . The ones with young drunk idiots on them.

Those chicks in the pics would not need any licences - all they would need to do when the cop asks them to show the licence is to give him a card with their phone number!

There is a clear difference!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.

Big bikes have proper breaks, they do not or cannot zig zag like the small scooters between traffic and are more driven like cars. It is a global statistic that below 30's are not a safe conscious as adults, and neither want to invest in proper safety gear and maintenance because many cannot afford it at that time in their lives. Rich kids excepted, but they would never bother getting a license anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If riders with this license can then use these big bikes on the tollways, it is definitely a good thing.

No it's not because you lot who seem to think you are special will only make driving on tollways potentially more hazardous. And if bikes are allowed on tollways then many riders irrespective of engine size will take illegal advantage of the regulation as I would not think toll collectors will be in a position to determine the specific engine size of any one bike.

For 7 years I was an advanced rider training instructor. There were 2 different courses each rider had to go through totalling a minimum of 12 hours each course before getting their 'P' plates. It included theory as well as roadcraft. As instructors we were all very experienced and had to undergo a rigorous riding course ourselves, we had the power to pass or fail students...even if their 'technical skills' were OK but lacked a mature and sensible attitude.

Even so, riders made up a disproportionate number of road accidents...often due to the fault of car drivers.

So my question is... does any body really think that any test likely to be introduced here is going to make one iota of difference to the appaling road statistics ? Lets start by getting some true statistics... here, a road death is only counted as a road death if you die at the scene ...'nuff said.

Most young kids can't afford a big bike, and they ride these little 125cc bikes like greased lightning anyway...

People that I know that can afford big bikes are usually older, have had a few bikes and are more careful.

...but I see his logic, and personally, I think it's in the right direction.

I also see his logic. BIB will be able to pull over every big bike they see. They will know that big bike drivers have more money. No special license? That will cost you 1000 baht! Great money making scheme for the BIB. They won't have to squeeze 100 baht from the kids riding without helmets from now on and that means less work for more money.

I don't think big bikes have higher accident rates in Thailand. If there was such a study, I might support the proposed licensing law. But, this is Thailand and I know they don't compile accident report statistics. Otherwise. a lot of hazardous road conditions would have been fixed by now.

Why do you think the big bike riders would be riding without a proper license? BB riders are most of the time (!!!) properly geared and have better riding skills which in the most cases (!!!) translates into bigger brains.

I'd expect there will be a transition phase to allow the current BB riders to switch over to a new license.

Bloody hell, now they're being elevated to a position were they have a special designation, "BBs"! Maybe all other bikes should be LBs.

" BB riders are most of the time (!!!) properly geared and have better riding skills which in the most cases (!!!) translates into bigger brains."

That's the weirdest logic I've heard for a long time. Rather flawed, not to say full of yourself, to say the least.

Here's a wild and crazy idea. Why not look at other country's motorcycle licensing schemes?

I know the EU scheme has it s detractors, but one of the benefits for other countries adopting the same scheme, especially with regard to the power limitations, is that the licensing levels will correspond well to the actual motorcycles being sold.

Is this too rational? biggrin.png

I agree, but it will never happen. Many times I thought why does Thailand reinvent the wheel, why cant they adopt a known reliable practice ? This goes for many aspects of government. Booze control, massage shop control, shopping hours, gun control, border and visa control, buying useless submarines, legislating democracy etc. But they wont, because it will lack that elusive quality, THAI'NESS.

This kind of pride, however illogical or logical is always a bitch.