Police mull special driver licence for big bikes

Lite Beer

Good idea...

but what's the point when many bike riders do not bother with bike rider tuition, driving tests and licences.

Just another law to be ignored.

Where I came from Michigan, USA and all other states, 14-16 shoulder of the road very small bikes, 16 you got a drivers licence for a car and a special one for a motorcycle. Once you were using a motorcycle you never ever go between cars to get to the front of the traffic, you stayed behind the car and wait your turn. And you don't ride sidewalks or go the wrong way of traffic!!!!!!!!s

I agree with what you say about going the wrong way and riding on pavements but the whole world except many parts of the USA, several of whom are the same ones that still allow their citizens to ride without a helmet have already mastered filtering and have realized it is not some dangerous black art but the most safe and effective use of the road space for a motorbike

It is proven to be safer and also cuts down on congestion so unless the US knows better than the whole of Europe and virtually all the rest of the world I will stick to filtering. I certainly wont be sitting behind you in a traffic jam waiting to get rear ended by another car driver too busy texting or popping zits....

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

This is a good idea!

While your at it, do another category... One for Antique Bikes. There is reasoning behind this request!!

All fees and registration costs be reduced, because of limited use (put a limit of 6,000 Km a year and noted on registration each year.)

There are a lot of collectors out there who have restored these Bikes to their former glory. In doing so have update so many items the bikes are now rebuilt safer then they were in their original form. Sometimes is necessary to change frame or rebuild and in doing so they loose the option of their Green Book. Make Special Book with option to use affidavids and receipts to prove ownership of Bike... Example: Purple Book/Purple Operator License/Purple License Plate and Tag. License does not let rider operate other Bikes or Vehicles. Bikes would still need Insurance and Inspections and the wearing of Helmets. Because these would also be driven by A responsible age Group, they would also be able to use Supers if over 100cc. Actions against them By other Motor vehicles would result in Higher fines if they caused damage to Bikes. Sometimes to restore the cost goes up 3-4 times even higher from the original Purchase Price... Because of Custom work need to restore to Original Form (for a Collector).

This would be a great option when licensing... It would insure Recycling of parts, Give further income and employment to Bike Shops on all levels... Parts, Build, Service, etc... Lower income families would be able to keep a GOOD working Bike in family, when cannot afford new. Owners would have higher fine if Safety (Lights, Turn Indicators, Horn) was observed not working... Age limit to use or get Antique Bike License start at 25 years for Operator. Because these are Jewels (Special) They will be taken care of closer then the Standard Bikes or the road, to qualify Bike would need to be 35 years or older.

• Confused 1

Nice with police focusing on road safety.

Still waiting for police to crack down on people driving motorbikes or cars with no working lights at night. Issuing 200 baht tickets to these guys might make spending 20 baht for a light bulb a more attractive choice.

• Like 1

I was as big biker in my youth but am a motorist now. I find, in general, that BBs in Thailand are safe and curteous but, as a motorist you have to relearn the European habit of expecting BBs in the outer lanes overtaking.

I live just off the the main highway to the south (Petchakasem Road) and BBs with Thai, Malaysian and S'pore riders are a daily sound effect.

What I do object to is a convoy of BBs led by a bike equipped with illegal flashing emergency lights the intention being to intimidate and bulldoze other road users to give way.

The proposed regulation was under discussion on Channel 3 1845 slot this evening between the anchorman, two BB riders and the Senior Colonel named above.

Stupid stuff. As usual.

Kids can kill themselves just as easily on a small cc bike. And making them wait until they're 30 is going to at least put a damper on the big bike market in TH.

This is just dumb. Hopefully will be forgotten as it should.

Good idea...

but what's the point when many bike riders do not bother with bike rider tuition, driving tests and licences.

Just another law to be ignored.

"They may have to take another test before riding bigger bike."

This would be OK if the initial test had any meaning, as it is the test is a farce.

Most young kids can't afford a big bike, and they ride these little 125cc bikes like greased lightning anyway...

People that I know that can afford big bikes are usually older, have had a few bikes and are more careful.

...but I see his logic, and personally, I think it's in the right direction.

You should visit Chiang Mai. Our business is next door to the Ducati dealership. Nowhere in the world have I seen so many Ducati's being ridden (incompetently) by young people, and half of them have no licence plate.

This 'initiative' is hardly breaking the boundaries of original thinking, but like most countries reinventing the wheel is what Thailand seems to do.

You should visit Chiang Mai. Our business is next door to the Ducati dealership. Nowhere in the world have I seen so many Ducati's being ridden (incompetently) by young people, and half of them have no licence plate.

You are legally allowed to ride a bike with no plate until you receive your plate along with the green book. For some people / dealers, it only takes a few weeks, for others it takes up to 6 months or more. It took me 4 months to receive my. Riding with no plate shouldn't have been brought up into the argument.

Incompetent young riders are a different story however and that is what that "special" driver license hopefully will fix.

Where do I submit my opinion?

What makes you think the government cares about your opinion?

My post was sarcastic in part, but read the OP and don't ask silly questions.

Here I'll make it easier for you:

We considered the engine size and are thinking of 400cc. But we are open to peoples opinions. Some have said the minimum age [for a big bike license] should be 20 or 25 rather than 30.

My comment too was sarcasm. I doubt they care what we farangs think. The 400cc size was probably because that is the size of higher import duties in many countries.

• Like 1

I like the idea of a BB licence, it should be introduced now there are far more bikes available over the last few years. More than likely for all the reasons above people will not bother / get around it. What I'd really like to see are honda, yamaha, ducati etc offering free training courses to all their new customers who buy a big bike, it's not right to sell a 17 year old kid a 1 litre superbike without training, its dangerous, theres enough carnage on the roads already

I agree with the commenters that say , this is really another way for the

people who ride these bikes to get pulled over more often and have to

pay more money every year, because of it. I have seen motorcycles of

all sizes in accidents, and the results can be the same no matter the size.

My last trip to the USA was in March, from Montana to LA California.

The highways were in great shape, and in Utah, I saw motorcycles weaving

in and out of the traffic, very much like Thailand. Another thing I saw was a

group of Nascar drivers and their hot rigs, zooming along the highway from

80 to 120 mph and having fun. The land of the Free!

But the so called best country in the free world, the good ole US of A doesn't have a special or tiered licensing for bigger bikes and isn't that the country that we all aspire to be like?

Some of the worse riding records of any place, mostly drivers not aware of bikes. (DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Just shows how backwards this beautiful country really is...,

- Correct Training

- Correct (at least minimum) protective equipement

- Correct Valid Licence

- Correct application and enforcement of laws

Now then, which of the above will never happen???

Come to think of it (Bar PPE) you can apply the above to all motorised vehicles in LOS

On Koh Samui the useless RTP cannot even be bothered control riders at night without lights and then there is the question of young kids using scooters like toys on public roads. Why in the hell bother bringing more laws just to use as "cash generators" What idiots ! w00t.gif

• 3 years later...
On 4/12/2015 at 5:41 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

I agree with the commenters that say , this is really another way for the

people who ride these bikes to get pulled over more often and have to

pay more money every year, because of it. I have seen motorcycles of

all sizes in accidents, and the results can be the same no matter the size.

My last trip to the USA was in March, from Montana to LA California.

The highways were in great shape, and in Utah, I saw motorcycles weaving

in and out of the traffic, very much like Thailand. Another thing I saw was a

group of Nascar drivers and their hot rigs, zooming along the highway from

80 to 120 mph and having fun. The land of the Free!

and home of the IDIOT !

• Like 1

I remember when Australia implemented a regulation regarding larger motorbikes, they did it fairly by giving every rider which had a current motorbike licence approval for riding any size (cc) bike.

I was given a motorcycle licence from the Thai DLT 14 years ago, I showed my Australian licence which was recognised by Thailand.

I have owned 3 big bikes in Thailand. A Buell and 2 x 1200 cc Ducati’s, why would they want me to sit for a test and why should I be penalised.

Just start the new laws for newly licenced riders as Australia did, K.I.S.S.

BTW, yes change the ruling for motorway use while you’re at it.

• Like 1