Songkran revellers warned against using water from 11 sources

webfact

Songkran revellers warned against using water from 11 sources
THE NATION

30257779-04_big.JPG

PEOPLE HAVE been warned not to use water from 11 sources during the Songkran holidays as they are contaminated with bacteria beyond safe levels.

BANGKOK: -- Citing the water-quality report from January to March, Pollution Control Department chief Wichien Jungrungreung yesterday said the water sources had fecal coliform bacteria concentrations that were greater than 4,000 MPN coliforms/100 millimetres.

They are Sukhothai's Muang district (17,000-24,000 MPN); Kwan Phayao in Phayao's Muang district (7,000 MPN); Chao Phraya River in Nakhon Sawan's Muang district (30,000 MPN); Loei River in Loei's Muang district (15,000 MPN); Lam Pao River in Kalasin's Kamalasai (16,000 MPN) and Muang districts (5,400 MPN); and the Siew River in Roi Et's Kaset Wisai district (24,000 MPN).

Meanwhile, the police's Consumer Protection Division said people caught selling high-pressure water guns could be jailed for up to five years and/or fined Bt500,000. People who imported such water guns could be jailed for up to 10 years and/or fined Bt1 million.

The division announced the seizure of 48 high-pressure water guns from Khao San Road. It said police went to Khao San and Klong Thom to campaign for safe use of water guns during Songkran.

Meanwhile, a road-safety centre monitoring road accidents during the so-called seven dangerous days of Songkran - yesterday until Wednesday - was launched yesterday at the Interior Ministry's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department in a bid to minimise road deaths and injuries.

The centre is promoting the theme "mindfulness, discipline, generosity and safety during Songkran to continue the Thai tradition" and is focusing on an "area approach" to road safety management, strict law enforcement, intensive social pressure against accident-risky behaviour and promoting safe water splashing.

Accident Prevention Network Office director Phrommin Kanthiya reported that there were 15,680 road accidents in the past five years that injured 16,859 people and killed 1,599.

Last Songkran saw 2,992 accidents that killed 326 people and injured 3,225, he said while urging for multi-party community checkpoints to be promoted.

He also urged people to view useful road-safety information at www.accident.or.th or call 02 588 3769.

The National Institute for Emergency Medicine will double emergency manpower during Songkran, particularly in major accident-prone provinces.

There will be 159,854 emergency medicine personnel - 1,593 doctors, 18,823 nurses and 127,709 volunteers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Songkran-revellers-warned-against-using-water-from-30257779.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-10

The one time I stay in my apartment as much as possible. I understand the Thai's love of sanuk with Songkran but wow...what a waste of a week. I stock up on as much food as possible to avoid trips out and then only venture out very early or very late to keep the fridge stocked.

It will be interesting to see if some of the foreign visitors from a certain region will consider the water to be cleaner than at home?

New poll just out from the Ministry of Propaganda:

109% of the visitors during the festival was either pleased or very pleased with the clean Thai water!!

We are aware, that the festival has not started yet, but we like to be prepared.............

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be better for the government to focus on the cause and cleanup of fecal coliform bacteria in these rivers? Nevermind. That's like focusing on arsonists in Northern Thailand; wild mushroom production outweighs public health. Ignoring the problem and allowing the pollution of rivers and aquifers for the benefit of some provincial municipality or company outweighs public health too I guess.

Nobody said this is a developed country yet. Those in leadership positions have yet to discover the joys of control and micro-management using regulations. You don't have to apply for an easement to add a veranda to your porch in the moo-baan yet. No paying for permits, inspectors, surveyors, and more inspectors, structural engineers, architects, and more inspectors.

Making lots of laws and new regulatory agencies can be a money generating machine. Thailand hasn't figured that out yet. The wonders of Big Government at work!!! They need to visit some well-established nanny-states, like the UK or US, and take some lessons.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

What is wrong with these people. It takes a holiday of water for them to be conscientious of the contamination of these rivers before they inform the public? I am certain prior to this notice that nobody knew about this problem and the poor used it for any purpose needed. Nobody will heed their warning now. Best to avoid being anywhere near these places.

What amazed me was how high the contamination levels were they were right off the charts. Water and sewage treatment here must be non existent.

Meanwhile, the police's Consumer Protection Division said people caught selling high-pressure water guns could be jailed for up to five years and/or fined Bt500,000. People who imported such water guns could be jailed for up to 10 years and/or fined Bt1 million.

But just run someone over while drunk a nd kill them and pay family about 100,000 Bt that's ok - crazy LOS

Wouldn't it be better for the government to focus on the cause and cleanup of fecal coliform bacteria in these rivers? Nevermind. That's like focusing on arsonists in Northern Thailand; wild mushroom production outweighs public health. Ignoring the problem and allowing the pollution of rivers and aquifers for the benefit of some provincial municipality or company outweighs public health too I guess.

Nobody said this is a developed country yet. Those in leadership positions have yet to discover the joys of control and micro-management using regulations. You don't have to apply for an easement to add a veranda to your porch in the moo-baan yet. No paying for permits, inspectors, surveyors, and more inspectors, structural engineers, architects, and more inspectors.

Making lots of laws and new regulatory agencies can be a money generating machine. Thailand hasn't figured that out yet. The wonders of Big Government at work!!! They need to visit some well-established nanny-states, like the UK or US, and take some lessons.

Build sewage water treatment plants, clean up air pollution here in the north and the word "regulations" just like maintenance is ignored. Building high speed trains is the high priority item. More trade is the answer. Improving the quality of life here "Forget It"

Lol... You worried about fecal parts per whatever but foreigners jump into a gazillion of swimming pools and don't inquire what is the source? Oh... And you thought those pools were filled with bottles of drinking water.

LOL...and you see no difference between a swimming pool and the klongs and rivers of Thailand!

...woooooooooow...coffee1.gif

What are these high-pressure water guns they mention? Are they made as toys, or are they for cleaning walls and removing paint?

I just searched out of curiosity... I guess they're talking about this sort of thing?

I could see this getting out of hand, I guess. In the video the Soldier of Water knocks over a bowling pin with a squirt.

are they saying it is safe to drink water laced with shit with a certain degree/level ?

anyone drinking tap water in bangkok ???

yes, there are also % of dead cockroach and rat poo in just about all processed food.