Traffic closed in Bangkok to ensure safe water throwing in capital's 10 areas

webfact

Traffic closed to ensure safe water throwing in capital’s 10 areas

8-4-2558-12-21-35-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Traffic Police Division has announced 10 major roads in Bangkok closed to traffic from April 12-14 and April 13-15, depending on each zone of celebration, to allow both local and foreign revellers to enjoy water throwing with safety during the Songkran, the Thai New Year.

This year, the government has declared April 13-15 public holidays.

In Bangkok, Songkran is celebrated as a national holiday from April 13 to 15 this year. But as April 13 falls on a Monday, celebrations are likely to start during the weekend.

But in other parts of the country, especially in the northern city of Chiang Mai, Songkran is celebrated for as long as a week.

In Bangkok, announcement of the metropolitan traffic police said all the 10 closed roads, no vehicle will be allowed to enter as Songkran celebration activities will be held.

The road which is closed to traffic from noon to 9.00 pm during April 12-14 is Silom road from Yaek Saladaeng to Yaek Nararom Narathiwat road.

Khao San, Chakkrapong, Bovornives, Sip Samhang, and Tanao will be closed to traffic from 6.00 pm to midnight during April 13-15.

All vehicles are not allowed to enter Khao San and Tanao roads from Yaek Kokwua to Sip Samhang circle throughout the restricted time.

On Ladprao road, the announcement said vehicles loaded with water buckets and revellers to celebrate Songkran are not allowed entry to Chokchai 4, Ladprao-Wanghin road, Naknivat road to Naknivet-Sukhontasawat intersection.

Soi Sangkom Songkroh from Samyaek Chokechai 4-Soi Sangkom Songkroh to Samyaek Praditmanutham.

Traffic will be closed from 11.00 am-10.00 pm during April 13-15.

Violator will be subject to 1,000 baht fine for each violation, the announcement.

For other roads which are not closed to traffic, police will tighten control on pick-up trucks which carry more than 7 passengers on the back.

This year’s celebration will see more restrictions as the authorities were concerned of the safety of revellers.

One restriction is no powder and alcohol.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration which takes care of the capital has declared powder and alcohol-free in all zones where Songkran activities are held. This also include no pick-up trucks loaded with buckets of water.

The zones include Silom and Khao San.

BMA officials said revelers usually mark the festive holidays with water throwing.

But some will also enjoy alcoholic drinks and add powder to their bucket of water. With the powder, many get excuse to get close and touch the body of others during the festival. Although not all powder touches constitute sexual harassment, some do, they said.

To ensure proper order and prevent such kinds of harassment, powder is banned.

Silom Road will be off-limits to powder users and sellers.

Powder sellers will be arrested, the BMA said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-closed-to-ensure-safe-water-throwing-in-capitals-10-areas

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-10

Here we see the frustration and disconnect between "we are all about tourists" and the reality of information provided.

There was ... one year ... to decide what to close and when ..

That is enough time to create maps ... and god forbid ... a Google map of these designated areas.

Guess it is up to each of us to figure all this out .. and try to find work around .. because ... notice to the powers that be ... not everyone loves these water-fights ... so some help in getting around them ... avoiding monster traffic jams ... etc .. would have been most appreciated. I need to get to Don Mueang tomorrow. Thanks foe the advance notice (not) and help understanding how to get around this mess.

Not being a grump and do wish those who enjoy this type of things a really good and safe time ... but the rest of us would like some help getting on with our lives.

Please get back to enforcing laws that prohibit Foreigners from lending any assistance or expertise in these areas.

For other roads which are not closed to traffic, police will tighten control on pick-up trucks which carry more than 7 passengers on the back.

7 passengers on the back. So, on top of the roof or clinging to the side of the truck as in the pic on post #2 would be fine. 55555

Edited by meltingpot2015

Look at the pic again, left hand drive bus? Wrong side of the road for Thailand? Or is it just me being picky?

YES------ IT'S YOU BEING PICKY-------------- Ever heard of "Humour"

PS How the hell can you see which side the driver is sitting------------------------ Some of you guys amaze me

Look at the pic again, left hand drive bus? Wrong side of the road for Thailand? Or is it just me being picky?

PS How the hell can you see which side the driver is sitting------------------------ Some of you guys amaze me

Actually I thought it was a pretty good observation. The direction the traffic is moving is a fair assumption the driver is seated on the left. Yes, yes, I know, one shouldn't assume. But pic certainly not Thailand.

And yes, some of YOU guys do amaze everyone.

Go out & throw some water.... you'll feel so much better.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

Thai bashing isn't humourous.