[Help] I'm 21 and I'm seriously looking to become a Teacher

hootix

Hello,

For a long time I never knew what i want to become in my life or what to do for a living. I always chose random stuff and currently i am studying Business Economics & Information Systems. I didn't had a great childhood due of my Family and i moving between countries.

I actually got really frustrated lately because i don't like at all what i study or what i'm becoming and spent all my money in January for a Thailand Trip for 1 month (1800€). What i did not expect was, i finally opened my eyes.

After a long thinking and research, i really want to become a Teacher. At first was looking something similar as teaching like helping people, working in group, all this having something to do with linguistics. I guess, helping others is the way i want to go since it was never easy for me alone out there, but that's the same for many people.

I speak fluently German and French. My English may not be completely Fluent but it's very good and i also just have a slight accent. I think it's entirely enough to teach an early English which is also going to polish mine in a long run to become fluent.

I have lately read quite a lot about Teachers in Thailand. I'm a young and really motivated and enthusiastic to become Teacher and help children learn English in an enjoyment environment. I have imagined myself as the role of a teacher and every time i'm thinking of it or reading about it gives me more and more enthusiasm.

I stopped my University already, so i do not own a Bachelor Degree or a TESL certificate or any of these and i know it's going to be hard to find anything without it but not impossible.

I'm looking for some advice here.

People mention a lot about becoming teacher in South Korea. I honestly would like to teach in Bangkok, Thailand. But if it's really much better to go in Korea and teach there, then i may do it.

I'm a bit concerned about the fact what would happen when i want to retire, i'm not sure as a foreigner i would get a Pension or since i'm not working anymore my Visa would also expire. But to worry that i still have a lot of time. I know for sure i want to make this move and Teach in Thailand or Korea so i hope we won't talk about retirement that much. I saw there is already a Post about it.

I would like to take any advice you have to give me, i want to start as soon as possible. I'm looking to become an English or French Teacher. I'm also fine with a similar job which would involve one of these languages or both at the same time which would offer me a better career. German is also not an issue but i wouldn't want to become something close to a German Teacher. So if you have any ideas in mind what my possibilities are, please help me.

Maybe some of you have contacts which would be interested in someone inexperienced but well presented, enthusiast and highly motivated. May it be a School or a Company.

I'm mentally ready to do this move without regrets. I have nothing to lose.

I'm really motivated like i was never before in my life. An another factor i should mention is i have currently no money. So flying to Thailand and start looking there is surely better but not an option for me currently. I would work few months to get the money if i really have a solid plan and the company or school i may work with doesn't do a Transfer. I do not really worry about that, i would just wait for the next opportunity and while waiting, save some money. But first i have to complete my research.

I'll add some questions i have in mind right now:

So, i'm really looking for some deep advice.

Any contacts?

What are my possibilities?

A way to climb the "echelon" while i Teach? Like doing some certification during my free time?

Something important to tell me about Visa?

Things i should take care / do / pay attention to?

Health insurance? Bank account?

Contracts?

I'm sorry if i offend any of you with my English. It's actually my 4th Language and i want to teach to kids and how to improve their broken English to a more decent level, and help their subconscious to memorize / learn faster.

I Thank you for your responses and help. Maybe there are even some people who would have a closer look at me and willing to help me more than i would ever be able to thank them.

Greetings,

H.O.

You need to be from a native speaking country to teach English here and you need a degree to teach in schools.

Language schools apparently take people without degrees , but the pay is abysmal and the hours will most likely be evenings and weekends.

Everyone wants to teach in Bangkok so it will be harder.

Out in the boonies they take non degree qualified people in schools without work permits visas. Dodgy visas have been cracked down on so this would be harder.

What country are you from ?

Go back to University....get a degree and a teaching certificate from your home country.

Then get a couple of years experience there.

Once you have done that....come back to Asia and live the life teaching and getting paid handsomely for it.

Or....get a one month course and spend all your time being treated like the fraud you are and hating your poorly paid job.

Choice is yours....an old hand here says go for option 1.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You need to be from a native speaking country to teach English here and you need a degree to teach in schools.

Language schools apparently take people without degrees , but the pay is abysmal and the hours will most likely be evenings and weekends.

Everyone wants to teach in Bangkok so it will be harder.

Out in the boonies they take non degree qualified people in schools without work permits visas. Dodgy visas have been cracked down on so this would be harder.

What country are you from ?

I'm from Germany, nationality French.

Do they really only take native english speaker? That means even with a degree it would not be easy to find something but maybe with a certificate on top of that it would work out?

Go back to University....get a degree and a teaching certificate from your home country.

Then get a couple of years experience there.

Once you have done that....come back to Asia and live the life teaching and getting paid handsomely for it.

Or....get a one month course and spend all your time being treated like the fraud you are and hating your poorly paid job.

Choice is yours....an old hand here says go for option 1.

What kind of specific degree would you suggest? Is there maybe something for bilingual or maybe a Teaching degree? or how does that actually work.

I have read that people without degree get's around 30 000 - 35 000 TBH the month. Honestly i can live with that. But out of curiosity, how much is the appropriate amount with a degree?

I just don't feel like studying for 3-4 years and i'm scared i will drop or stop in the mid run.

Edited by hootix

I offered you the best advice for your future really there.

If you are intent on teaching in Asia your best bet is to do the month long course then head to Cambodia...where you will likely find a job fairly easily.

Probably worth it for a year to see if its for you...and for the life experience.

But get that degree at some point....it will open many doors in life.

"You need to be from a native speaking country to teach English here and you need a degree to teach in schools."

I really wish people would be banned for spreading misinformation. I doubt that poster is a qualified teacher or has ever taught here. He/she clearly doesn't know the rules.

OP,

You asked about other countries. South Korea is off limits to you. That country it is impossible for non native speakers to get a visa without a passport from the 7 English speaking countries. They also require a degree. The process to get jobs in Korea is strict and the pay has actually gone down in the past few years.

I admire your immediate interest and dedication, but to be frank that can waine quickly. You have no experience, no degree, no skill set. What makes you think that you would actually help people? I personally, think that younger learners need the best teachers not the lowest common denominator. Schools usually put their least qualified teaching the beginner classes and the most qualified teaching their highest level. I sometimes think that the beginner classes especially young learners need the most accurate and clear language skills as they will develop mistakes much quicker than adults and will be much harder to unlearn them.

My own daughter was taught to mispronounce a word by her so called"English" teacher and told me that I was wrong.

OP. You don't want advice. You don't want to be sensible. You want everyone here to give you permission and help you get started here.

Come to Thailand, apply to schools and get a job. You will get hired. You will find work.

"I have read that people without degree get's around 30 000 - 35 000 TBH the month. Honestly i can live with that. But out of curiosity, how much is the appropriate amount with a degree?"

***Wishful thinking.***

Native speakers with degrees are getting paid that. In Bkk most jobs still pay less than 40k baht a month for starting teachers. out of the first 40 ads yesterday 15 of them were for 30k baht a month starting. As a non native without a degree expect to make 20-30k. Once you build contacts and a reputation, you can get lucky.

On Ajarn dot com job ads, any job over 40k baht a month specifically requests native speaker, with relevant degree and experience.

You will be paid lower than native speakers, qualified teachers and those with degrees. You will find it hard to get full time positions at first. Part time jobs will be around for 200-400 baht an hour but most won't provide a work permit. Without a proper visa and work permit, you will be illegal and will also spend more money leaving the country every few months renewing your visa.

As a non native speaker all you have to do is pass a TOEIC or TOEFL to prove that your English is good enough. But to be honest those tests are quite easy and don't actually prove communicative ability. Memorizing words is enough.

The real problem is that you have no experience, nor degree. You have nothing to offer.

If you don't have a lot of money to start out, don't come. You will earn enough to live a very humble life. You will not earn enough to have a girl friend, family, or travel much. You won't be able to save anything. Bring at least 5k Euros with you minimum plus a return ticket.

As Smokie suggested. Finish school, get a degree in a relevant field (education, linguistics, TESOL,) and then live your life. If you are looking for a gap year, then come and enjoy. Don't fool yourself though. You are not doing this to help anyone. You are doing this to live your life selfishly. If you want to help people stay in your country, go to a neighborhood after school center and help the inner city kids.

***You can find French Teaching jobs, but you will run into the same problem because you don't have a degree. ***

• Like 1

You don't need to be a native-speaker to teach here. The only extra requirement for non-native speakers is a language proficiency equivalent to at least TOEIC 600. There are lots of non-native speakers teaching here legally.

The degree is important though.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

One thing that stands out in your story is that you have little or no self-discipline. You think the teaching profession wants someone who is a university drop-out and who just doesn't 'feel like' studying for 3-4 years and is 'scared' of dropping out again? The one thing in your favour is that you are only 21 so becoming a another drifting teacher in Thailand will not do too much damage if you pick up the pieces a couple of years down the road. However it is going to be hard work if ever you decide attempt to repair a CV which at the moment you have turned into so much confetti.

Edited by SheungWan

"You need to be from a native speaking country to teach English here and you need a degree to teach in schools."

I really wish people would be banned for spreading misinformation. I doubt that poster is a qualified teacher or has ever taught here. He/she clearly doesn't know the rules.

OP,

You asked about other countries. South Korea is off limits to you. That country it is impossible for non native speakers to get a visa without a passport from the 7 English speaking countries. They also require a degree. The process to get jobs in Korea is strict and the pay has actually gone down in the past few years.

I admire your immediate interest and dedication, but to be frank that can waine quickly. You have no experience, no degree, no skill set. What makes you think that you would actually help people? I personally, think that younger learners need the best teachers not the lowest common denominator. Schools usually put their least qualified teaching the beginner classes and the most qualified teaching their highest level. I sometimes think that the beginner classes especially young learners need the most accurate and clear language skills as they will develop mistakes much quicker than adults and will be much harder to unlearn them.

My own daughter was taught to mispronounce a word by her so called"English" teacher and told me that I was wrong.

OP. You don't want advice. You don't want to be sensible. You want everyone here to give you permission and help you get started here.

Come to Thailand, apply to schools and get a job. You will get hired. You will find work.

"I have read that people without degree get's around 30 000 - 35 000 TBH the month. Honestly i can live with that. But out of curiosity, how much is the appropriate amount with a degree?"

***Wishful thinking.***

Native speakers with degrees are getting paid that. In Bkk most jobs still pay less than 40k baht a month for starting teachers. out of the first 40 ads yesterday 15 of them were for 30k baht a month starting. As a non native without a degree expect to make 20-30k. Once you build contacts and a reputation, you can get lucky.

On Ajarn dot com job ads, any job over 40k baht a month specifically requests native speaker, with relevant degree and experience.

You will be paid lower than native speakers, qualified teachers and those with degrees. You will find it hard to get full time positions at first. Part time jobs will be around for 200-400 baht an hour but most won't provide a work permit. Without a proper visa and work permit, you will be illegal and will also spend more money leaving the country every few months renewing your visa.

As a non native speaker all you have to do is pass a TOEIC or TOEFL to prove that your English is good enough. But to be honest those tests are quite easy and don't actually prove communicative ability. Memorizing words is enough.

The real problem is that you have no experience, nor degree. You have nothing to offer.

If you don't have a lot of money to start out, don't come. You will earn enough to live a very humble life. You will not earn enough to have a girl friend, family, or travel much. You won't be able to save anything. Bring at least 5k Euros with you minimum plus a return ticket.

As Smokie suggested. Finish school, get a degree in a relevant field (education, linguistics, TESOL,) and then live your life. If you are looking for a gap year, then come and enjoy. Don't fool yourself though. You are not doing this to help anyone. You are doing this to live your life selfishly. If you want to help people stay in your country, go to a neighborhood after school center and help the inner city kids.

***You can find French Teaching jobs, but you will run into the same problem because you don't have a degree. ***

Bad day ?

To be honest. Go back to university. Get a degree in English and German or French and then come back to Asia to teach. You will be better off in the long run. Without a degree you cannot do anything for long. Show discipline by learning the right techniques. Get some experience in teaching in Germany or France and the. You can come to Asia. With 21 years nobody in Asia will take you serious as you are lacking the seniority needed to get respect and the attention needed.

I would work few months to get the money if i really have a solid plan and the company or school i may work with doesn't do a Transfer.

​ Better you stay where you are,enjoy tax payers' money and grow up. You'd work for a few months to get the money for a ticket?

Please get a very solid plan, which is called getting your own life in order. You can't run away from your own shadow...facepalm.gif

@zeichen

Thanks for your information.

And no, i'm not fooling myself. Sure i can help people around me or the next homeless guy i see. But feeling that i finally found what i would like to do, and that's teaching, in a comfortable enviromenet is for me what i'm looking first. I want to help kids to learn, every beeing has a different way to teach & learn. I want to help in my own way.

@Loaded

Thank you, i will look into the TOEIC 600.

@lostinisaan

Actually i'm not living with Tax payers money at all. I live currently with 350€ the month on my own, that's coming from an another source. I have the rights to ask to get "Tax payers" money, but I feel guilty myself of many different things.

I am trying to get my own life in order that's why i try to gather information here and decide what way i want to go.

I'm really taking everyone's advice seriously and thank you. I may opt for the Degree option. Going for a degree and then a certification.

There is a thing what comes in mind, what about those International Universities? Couldn't i study in an English University in Asia?

Or maybe in my country there are some university which are in touch with them out there and do for few months Student transfers or something like that. I got a meeting with an Adviser in few weeks. Having usually bad experience from them, i hope i will get something interesting information out of him this time.

@zeichen

Thanks for your information.

And no, i'm not fooling myself. Sure i can help people around me or the next homeless guy i see. But feeling that i finally found what i would like to do, and that's teaching, in a comfortable enviromenet is for me what i'm looking first. I want to help kids to learn, every beeing has a different way to teach & learn. I want to help in my own way.

@Loaded

Thank you, i will look into the TOEIC 600.

@lostinisaan

Actually i'm not living with Tax payers money at all. I live currently with 350€ the month on my own, that's coming from an another source. I have the rights to ask to get "Tax payers" money, but I feel guilty myself of many different things.

I am trying to get my own life in order that's why i try to gather information here and decide what way i want to go.

I'm really taking everyone's advice seriously and thank you. I may opt for the Degree option. Going for a degree and then a certification.

There is a thing what comes in mind, what about those International Universities? Couldn't i study in an English University in Asia?

Or maybe in my country there are some university which are in touch with them out there and do for few months Student transfers or something like that. I got a meeting with an Adviser in few weeks. Having usually bad experience from them, i hope i will get something interesting information out of him this time.

I've just checked how many EU nationals are milking Germany. Your statement that you've got the right to live on tax payers’ money pretty much sucks, to be honest.

Isn't 350 Euros the amount what so called Hartz 4 guys receive in cash, plus free house/ apartment, etc..?

You’re 21, quit school, because you didn't like it and you’d like to become an English teacher in Thailand ASAP, right? People who paid in a lot of money, then lost their jobs are entitled to receive money, when jobless.

But did you ever even try to find a job? I doubt it because of your statement here.

So you would work, if it’s for a ticket to Thailand? But without such a chance you refer to live on around 10 Euros a day? A packet of cigarettes is already five Euros, a meal at a restaurant and the money for a day’s gone.

Why don’t you work to make life more interesting, to be able to buy some necessary stuff? You do not need a car, nor do you want to know how it is to work five days a week in your country. Please be honest and tell us why you’re not working?

Stop blaming your childhood, parents, traveling a lot, in the end you’re old enough to stand on your own feet.

The German educational possibilities are indeed pretty cool and you could go for a degree in linguistic, considering the variety of languages, you speak.

You've never paid into the German social security, nor did you pay into any funds, so you’re part of these guys who keep the “being too lazy to work wheel spinning”.

So, please what gives you the right to say that it's your right to live on tax payers' money? I just don't get it.

You’ll have a degree in four years, then make some tutoring, maybe at language schools, etc...

Once you've got a degree and some experience, your chances are much better to get you a good job.

Edited by lostinisaan

In your situation, it's not worth coming to Thailand to teach, as you'd be unable to work legally, which means it's more difficult to find a job and it would have been difficult anyway as a non native speaker. Also even if you do, it likely won't pay well and although you'd probably have an absolutely awesome as life changing experience, the overall effect on your life/career would likely be a negative one.

Instead, go back to university and finish your degree, if you want to teach, then do something related to teaching (Maths/Science/English/Engineering) and get a post graduate diploma in teaching. Then come to Thailand for an OE after you finish studying, see whether you like it or not, and make up your mind then. You'll be still young enough to enjoy it and live a little rough etc if needed, but the degree + being a few years older will make it easier to find a job (and a legal one too). You'll also have your degree already, and many employers look upon a 1-2 year working OE after graduation reasonably favourably, for if you were to return to your home country.

• Like 1

Considering getting a bachelor's degree in Germany is effectively free. You would be the biggest dumb arse on the planet NOT getting one while your there. As others have said if you can actually find a BA. Ed degree you would be set for a decent job.. Failing that a BA TEFL.

• Like 2

I've just checked how many EU nationals are milking Germany. Your statement that you've got the right to live on tax payers’ money pretty much sucks, to be honest.

Isn't 350 Euros the amount what so called Hartz 4 guys receive in cash, plus free house/ apartment, etc..?

You’re 21, quit school, because you didn't like it and you’d like to become an English teacher in Thailand ASAP, right? People who paid in a lot of money, then lost their jobs are entitled to receive money, when jobless.

But did you ever even try to find a job? I doubt it because of your statement here.

So you would work, if it’s for a ticket to Thailand? But without such a chance you refer to live on around 10 Euros a day? A packet of cigarettes is already five Euros, a meal at a restaurant and the money for a day’s gone.

Why don’t you work to make life more interesting, to be able to buy some necessary stuff? You do not need a car, nor do you want to know how it is to work five days a week in your country. Please be honest and tell us why you’re not working?

Stop blaming your childhood, parents, traveling a lot, in the end you’re old enough to stand on your own feet.

The German educational possibilities are indeed pretty cool and you could go for a degree in linguistic, considering the variety of languages, you speak.

You've never paid into the German social security, nor did you pay into any funds, so you’re part of these guys who keep the “being too lazy to work wheel spinning”.

So, please what gives you the right to say that it's your right to live on tax payers' money? I just don't get it.

You’ll have a degree in four years, then make some tutoring, maybe at language schools, etc...

Once you've got a degree and some experience, your chances are much better to get you a good job.

First of all, i stopped study 1 week ago. Secondly like i stated before, i do not get H4. H4 is 450€ + paid apartment if i'm correct. I get 350€ from something else i do and i can live with that for few months. I pay for my 40m² studio 250€.

I'm not blaming anything.I just want to mean that i'm attached to nowhere.

I don't know why i have to justify myself, i just came here asking for advice and what people think not someone trying to judge me.

How would you know i never paid social security in my country? I did have a part time job 4 months ago before i went to visit thailand and since my motorbike accident i avoid doing any work till my operation date.

Op.. Your questions have been answered.. Without a degree AND being a non native your job prospects will be low to nothing.. With a degree they would be fair to good.. Your choice!

As I said before given that you live in Germany are an EU citizen so degrees are free AND you can get a living expenses grant. You would be an absolute Numbskull not to take advantage of that and get yourself a degree!!!

I don't know you BUT it sounds like you trying to follow your cock rather than using your brain. You came to Thailand met a girl, your in love and want to come back... Use brain to think NOT cock!

21 get a degree.. 24 come to Thailand, find a reasonable job.. Everything else takes care of its self!

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Hi Hootix,

First, I want to start out by saying that post #6 by Zeichen is solid advice which you should thoroughly consider. Second: Welcome to the board and congratulations on having found your calling!

Now.. Its important to understand that having found your calling is the first step. There are many ways to go about teaching in Thailand, some more easy than others. Some people have said that you cant get a job because you are not a native speaker - I can tell you that such a statement is not true, I am a NNES myself with a government school job on the same contract as the NES teachers.

Good news: It would be possible for you to land a teaching job here with your current qualifications - it might even be easy.

Bad news: The job would not be in a government school as you need a degree (in any field) for that.

This means that you will have to work at language schools. I have done that as well and, in my experience, it is much less enjoyable than working in a government school.

Reasons: First, students who go to language schools often have daytime jobs or school to attend. Because of this, you will have to work in the evenings and weekends to make enough money to survive. Second, your pay depends on the amount of classes that are available for you to teach - these will change depending on many factors. Because of this, you will not be guaranteed a steady income. Furthermore, you will often not be paid for breaks, lunch, preparation and transport. Because of this, working at a language school means more work for less money. You will not be able to save. You will be working illegally. Worst-case scenario, however unlikely it is: You may get fined, jailed or deported. Understand that language schools will lowball you because you are a non-native speaker with no degree.

Keep in mind, this is only the economic dimension. There will be no health insurance. You will not get sick-pay or paid holidays. You will get no visa and on every visa-run you run the risk of getting barred from re-entering the country because of too many tourist visas. Again, I tell you this from experience.

In conclusion, working at a language-school as a non-native English speaker could be a viable option for up to a year (if you really, really want it) if you have no problem living on an average salary of approximately 20.000thb with a lot of work and visa runs every three months. But building a career like this? Forget about it.

For what I have just written, I am really sorry. I am trying to break it to you nicely because I was once in your shoes and I took the easy way. Eventually, I had to return to my own country to make myself employable. Please, take the advice of the posters above me and really consider improving on your qualifications before departing.

You have a few options. The first option is to take the easy way and leave tomorrow, but only stay for a year. This would let you get some experience, you would get a taste of teaching and see if it is truly something for you. You would need savings to fall back on, you would need enough money for a plane-ticket home and you would need to go here with the mentality that it is only a one-year stint. Dont fall in love or get stuck here! The only reason for coming here for a year and slaving for shit money would be to try it all out - see if it is really what you want. Be aware that no one will hire you from abroad - you will need to come here and apply in person.

The second option: If you are already set on this and know that you want a career in teaching, I would advise you to get an education degree and aim for working at an international school here in five-six years. Finish the education degree, get a few years of teaching experience in your home country and find a school in Thailand that suits you. There might even be German or French international schools here.

Taking this path means a big time investment. You would have to stay in the cold north and work hard for what now seems like a long time, but you would be living the rest of your life in a cheap country with a biiiig paycheck every month. If you are as passionate about pursuing teaching as you claim, I would seriously investigate this option as it is by far the best one.

The middle-road is to finish your current degree. Having done that would mean that you meet the legal requirements to work at a government school, assuming that you take and pass a language test. Whether a school would hire you is a different question, the answer depending on the school and your ability to write job applications and impress people at job interviews. Being a non-native speaker will be a hindrance, particularly if you have any kind of accent. Keep in mind that there is a steady stream of applicants for these kinds of jobs, so you need to ask yourself why an employer should hire you over the (possible native) others.

I think this has covered most of your question. I implore you to seriously consider the second option - trust me, you will thank me in the end.

If you have any further questions or if I was unclear on any points, please let me know.

Best wishes! smile.png

Edited by MikeDK
  • Like 1

Many non native working as teachers without degrees in Bangkok. Some of them actually do a good job and can teach, Others are just there for the visa so they can live in Thailand.

If you really wanna teach and with the right attitude, yes there is a job here.

Better luck in China....I bet.

I used to moonlight as a "english tutor" in Japan during lunchtime at a military base. A few ladies would come in, treat me to lunch and leave their teenage kids at my table. I would have them read off their homework, and correct them. The moms would go to the club "casino" for an hour. I would get a quick 30 bucks, free lunch, and tips. The moms would come in alone on saturdays and sundays and I would sign them in at the gate, and they would again treat me to lunch..and...err tips.

Japan was good. but expensive.

So a BA from germany of france would be enough to get what kind of position/salary?

For reference:

My BA is from Denmark. However, most of my coursework was done in English as I was on the international line.

On top of my BA I had 1½ year of teaching experience at a language school, a CELTA and a 990 score TOEIC test when I applied for my current job. I also had a good letter of recommendation from my previous employer. I speak English with no accent. My starting salary was 33.000thb. I pay half my visa/work permit myself, the school pays the other half. I get free BUPA health insurance.

Aim for 25.000-35.000thb depending on the school, your ability to write job applications and impress at job interviews and most importantly, your level of English. This assumes that you apply for a government school contract and speak English very well and thus can apply for native-speaker jobs. If you don't, you may get the non-NES salary which starts out at 15.000 and tops out at 25.000. There may be free ghetto-style housing included. For reference on salaries and requirements, check Ajarn Jobs.

Best wishes :)

Frankly I find OPs written English poor, too many mistakes. Wonder how the spoken English is.

Have a look on ajarn.com, check the job ads, 90% of them state that non-native speakers do not need to apply.

And those are jobs teaching 20+ hours a week for 30,000 baht, maybe no salary during the holidays.

I recommend Cambodia, it's like Thailand was 20 years ago, visas and degrees are not a problem.

At least that's what I heard when I was there last.

No teaching experience, no degree, NNS - anybody who tells you to just come here must be happy with a job that pays less than what Filippinos get.

Come prepared, get a decent job!

I really, really, really grow weary of the nonsensical off-topic, inflammatory posts that come up rather consistently in these threads. There is an OP. Read it. Comment it on it. Don't argue with others. If they have made factual errors, please feel free to correct them.

Not all our members are native speakers of English. Not all our members even teach English, although most (but not all) do teach IN English. We have people who are members, and do occasionally post, who teach other languages, such as one who teaches Chinese, another who teaches Japanese. We even have a member who teaches Chinese, but uses Thai as the medium of instruction.

We also have people who are using smart phones, mobile devices and have poor internet connections. This is an internet forum. Posters are looking for information. Unless someone has specifically asked for advice on grammar or writing skills, please don't give it.

Continued off-topic, nasty posting and trolling will result in suspensions.

....Oh, and damned near anybody with any color of skin, who are not Asian, can teach English or any of the many variations of the language seen in Thailand. If a school can get by with convincing the parents this is a native-ish speaker of English, they get to teach. Not necessarily legally, but they can get a job.

• Like 2

Hi Hootix,

First, I want to start out by saying that post #6 by Zeichen is solid advice which you should thoroughly consider. Second: Welcome to the board and congratulations on having found your calling!

Now.. Its important to understand that having found your calling is the first step. There are many ways to go about teaching in Thailand, some more easy than others. Some people have said that you cant get a job because you are not a native speaker - I can tell you that such a statement is not true, I am a NNES myself with a government school job on the same contract as the NES teachers.

Good news: It would be possible for you to land a teaching job here with your current qualifications - it might even be easy.

Bad news: The job would not be in a government school as you need a degree (in any field) for that.

This means that you will have to work at language schools. I have done that as well and, in my experience, it is much less enjoyable than working in a government school.

Reasons: First, students who go to language schools often have daytime jobs or school to attend. Because of this, you will have to work in the evenings and weekends to make enough money to survive. Second, your pay depends on the amount of classes that are available for you to teach - these will change depending on many factors. Because of this, you will not be guaranteed a steady income. Furthermore, you will often not be paid for breaks, lunch, preparation and transport. Because of this, working at a language school means more work for less money. You will not be able to save. You will be working illegally. Worst-case scenario, however unlikely it is: You may get fined, jailed or deported. Understand that language schools will lowball you because you are a non-native speaker with no degree.

Keep in mind, this is only the economic dimension. There will be no health insurance. You will not get sick-pay or paid holidays. You will get no visa and on every visa-run you run the risk of getting barred from re-entering the country because of too many tourist visas. Again, I tell you this from experience.

In conclusion, working at a language-school as a non-native English speaker could be a viable option for up to a year (if you really, really want it) if you have no problem living on an average salary of approximately 20.000thb with a lot of work and visa runs every three months. But building a career like this? Forget about it.

For what I have just written, I am really sorry. I am trying to break it to you nicely because I was once in your shoes and I took the easy way. Eventually, I had to return to my own country to make myself employable. Please, take the advice of the posters above me and really consider improving on your qualifications before departing.

You have a few options. The first option is to take the easy way and leave tomorrow, but only stay for a year. This would let you get some experience, you would get a taste of teaching and see if it is truly something for you. You would need savings to fall back on, you would need enough money for a plane-ticket home and you would need to go here with the mentality that it is only a one-year stint. Dont fall in love or get stuck here! The only reason for coming here for a year and slaving for shit money would be to try it all out - see if it is really what you want. Be aware that no one will hire you from abroad - you will need to come here and apply in person.

The second option: If you are already set on this and know that you want a career in teaching, I would advise you to get an education degree and aim for working at an international school here in five-six years. Finish the education degree, get a few years of teaching experience in your home country and find a school in Thailand that suits you. There might even be German or French international schools here.

Taking this path means a big time investment. You would have to stay in the cold north and work hard for what now seems like a long time, but you would be living the rest of your life in a cheap country with a biiiig paycheck every month. If you are as passionate about pursuing teaching as you claim, I would seriously investigate this option as it is by far the best one.

The middle-road is to finish your current degree. Having done that would mean that you meet the legal requirements to work at a government school, assuming that you take and pass a language test. Whether a school would hire you is a different question, the answer depending on the school and your ability to write job applications and impress people at job interviews. Being a non-native speaker will be a hindrance, particularly if you have any kind of accent. Keep in mind that there is a steady stream of applicants for these kinds of jobs, so you need to ask yourself why an employer should hire you over the (possible native) others.

I think this has covered most of your question. I implore you to seriously consider the second option - trust me, you will thank me in the end.

If you have any further questions or if I was unclear on any points, please let me know.

Best wishes! smile.png

Thanks!

I contacted via email a Teaching institute in South Korea, DYB Choi Sun. They replied and want an interview with me. I have read some bad and good things about them. I think i will do the interview and if everything goes well, i might try it out for few months but not more than one year.

I'm considering to do the Second option you described. What did you exactly mean by working at an international school and where? You meant doing my degree in an International School in Asia? That sounds really interesting and i have thought about that too. I have to investigate that route further. If you have more information or ideas about this, I would be grateful.