A wife's long-standing fight for the truth

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
A wife's long-standing fight for the truth
The Nation

30257885-01_big.jpg

Nicha Hiranburana

BANGKOK: -- It's been five long years since Nicha Hiranburana Thuwatham lost her husband, General Romklao Thuwatham, in a violent clash near Kok Wua intersection during the 2010 crackdown. Nicha tells The Nation about how she has been coping with the tough, long-drawn fight for justice.

THE INVESTIGATION PROCESS HAS BEEN SLOW. DO YOU THINK THE CHANCE OF FINDING THE TRUTH AND SEEKING JUSTICE WILL FADE OVER TIME?

It is likely that the chance of finding the truth will reduce over time. However, if people remain aware that finding justice now will ensure personal security for them and their children in the future, then they will understand why it is so difficult for me to let go. I am very sad that the incident was repeated again in 2013 and 2014. Under these circumstances, who can guarantee that this will never happen again in the future?

However, the words of encouragement and support I keep receiving highlights the fact that people are well-aware of this and will not let it go.

My husband was killed while working to ensure the security of one and all, including that of the wrongdoer.

AS ONE OF THE FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST A RELATIVE IN THE CRACKDOWN, HAVE YOU SEEN ANY CHANGES AFTER FOUR YEARS OF CONSTANT FIGHTING TO UNCOVER THE TRUTH?

Though the investigation process has made little progress, I still continue to fight for justice. My intention is to let people involved in the reconciliation process to realise every dimension of the problem. It is also crucial for the reconciliation process to be based on justice, good governance and the rule of law - so there is peaceful coexistence in society.

AFTER FIVE YEARS, DO YOU FEEL DISCOURAGED?

I will continue to hunt for the truth no matter what happens. The wrongdoers have to repent. This is to prevent similar violence in the future.

Also, I don't want to see any other family experiencing this same loss - losing their beloved.

WHAT ARE THE PRINCIPLES THAT YOU LIVE BY EVERY DAY TO HELP GUIDE YOU THROUGH ALL THE DIFFICULTIES?

A clear conscience is what's helping me through the challenges. The only thing I want is merit derived from my goodwill toward the nation and society.

This will help my husband's soul to find peace in heaven and finally allow me to meet him one day. Hence, no matter what happens, I will remain firm in my stance to move forward and look for justice.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/A-wifes-long-standing-fight-for-the-truth-30257885.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-11

• Like 1

Just for the record

At the time of his death Romklao Thuwatham was a Colonel. Typically, the Thai military will promote soldiers who died in the line of duty to provide for a higher death benefit.

As a Colonel, Romklao would be taking orders from the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) which spearheaded the forced dispersal of the protesters. Former deputy PM Suthep was chief of CRES who directed the orders for then deputy army chief Gen. Prayut, former army chief Gen. Anupong, and then Defense Minister Gen. Prawit. According to former PM Abhisit, these generals "acted as middlemen between those in power, includiong him, and officials who were carrying out the operations."

Perhaps these generals and Abhisit can explain the truth behind Romklao's death.

• Like 2

Just for the record

At the time of his death Romklao Thuwatham was a Colonel. Typically, the Thai military will promote soldiers who died in the line of duty to provide for a higher death benefit.

As a Colonel, Romklao would be taking orders from the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) which spearheaded the forced dispersal of the protesters. Former deputy PM Suthep was chief of CRES who directed the orders for then deputy army chief Gen. Prayut, former army chief Gen. Anupong, and then Defense Minister Gen. Prawit. According to former PM Abhisit, these generals "acted as middlemen between those in power, includiong him, and officials who were carrying out the operations."

Perhaps these generals and Abhisit can explain the truth behind Romklao's death.

Perhaps the MURDERERS of Col Romklao would like explain their reasoning too. That is if you could ever find the cowardly bastards that did it.

After all it couldn't have been done by the Red Shirts as they were completely unarmed and the blackshirts simply didn't exist at all.

Just for the record Srikcir as you seem to know everything, who did MURDER the soldiers?

• Like 1

general wife, so a good widow pension of 85.000 baht per month, right ?

Congratulations on the gold medal for most moronic post of the month.

You didnt even have the balls to say a word of condolence to the wife of the deceased.

I dont care what color shirt you wear. Some sensitivity is in order.

Agreed. Those using this thread to make political capital are out of line. It isn't like there aren't plenty of others where we can execrate one another.

general wife, so a good widow pension of 85.000 baht per month, right ?

We all make stupid posts from time to time!

Man up, and admit this was not your smartest post, and it will all be forgotten...........whistling.gif

It is also crucial for the reconciliation process to be based on justice, good governance and the rule of law - so there is peaceful coexistence in society.

That statement alone defines the difference for those who understand democratic principles from the likes of UDD, the Redshirts and the Shinawatra mafia. Well spoken Khun Nicha.

May your heart have found peace from your lose.

Redshirts and Shinawatras never had big issues wt democracy. If I remember correctly they never loose any democratic elections? I belief that basic idea of the democracy is that majority rules? PeaceWPFflags.gif

• Like 1

Is her quest for justice and truth any different from the father who lost his son, but is being labelled a "troublemaker " and was recently arrested ?

Both of them have a hard time dealing with what happened.

Yeah, the irony!!

He was arrested for the very dangerous crime: Walking the street.

Whereas she is allowed to give a clearly political interview.............

• Like 1

She asked, pleaded and finally demanded that Tarit investigate her husbands murder by red shirt grenade and was completely ignored.

Guess he was busy along with his mate Chalerm investigating more important matters like Abhisit and Suthep making donations to the Democrat party by electronic means and not by cash or check.

• Like 2