Ready to run, Clinton to announce 2016 bid on Sunday

Lite Beer

Ready to run, Clinton to announce 2016 bid on Sunday
KEN THOMAS, Associated Press
JULIE PACE, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton will end months of speculation and launch her highly anticipated 2016 presidential campaign on Sunday, attempting a second bid at becoming America's first woman president.

Clinton, the former first lady and secretary of state who lost the 2008 nomination to Barack Obama, will skip a flashy kickoff rally in favor of conversations with voters about the economic needs of middle class families and the next generation.

Clinton appears unlikely to face a formidable primary opponent, though a handful of lower-profile Democrats have said they are considering campaigns. Some liberals have tried to lure Sen. Elizabeth Warren into the race, but she has rejected the idea.

Should she win the nomination, Clinton would face the winner of a Republican primary field that could feature as many as two dozen candidates. They could include former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, the brother and son of former presidents, and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who is expected to announce his campaign in Miami on Monday.

The first official word of Clinton's candidacy will come in a video posted on social media and to supporters online, according to two people familiar with her plans. She will then turn to crucial early-voting primary states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, looking to connect directly with voters in small, intimate settings.

The people familiar with her plans spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss them publicly.

Clinton has offered glimpses in recent speeches of why she will again seek the White House. Another preview came Friday in the epilogue to the paperback version of her 2014 book, "Hard Choices."

"Becoming a grandmother has made me think deeply about the responsibility we all share as stewards of the world we inherit and will one day pass on," Clinton writes in the new chapter, according to a preview published by The Huffington Post. "Rather than make me want to slow down, it has spurred me to speed up."

The Sunday announcement will mark Clinton's formal return to politics following a two-year leave from government.

Kicking off her campaign with straight-up retail politics, where she can talk to voters one-on-one, would be a departure from how Clinton jumped into her first presidential campaign. In 2007, Clinton also launched with a video, but followed it with a large, boisterous rally in Des Moines: "I'm running for president, and I'm in it to win it."

This time, the emphasis will be making a personal connection, rather than touting herself. Clinton allies say they hope the intimate settings will let people see a more nurturing, empathetic side, along with her sense of humor.

By campaigning heavily in Iowa and New Hampshire, which influence the rest of the state-by-state battle for party nominations, Clinton hopes to avoid making the same stumbles she did in 2008, when she entered the race as a U.S. senator and a heavy favorite only to be upset by Obama.

Republicans have been preparing for a second Clinton campaign since she left Obama's administration in early 2013. They intend to campaign against her by equating her potential presidency to that of a "third" Obama term, during which they argue she would continue his most unpopular policies.

"I'm curious what her slogan is going to be. I suspect it won't be 'four more years,'" Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, another possible GOP candidate, said Friday.

In the past few weeks, Clinton has faced withering criticism over her use of a personal email account and server while she was secretary of state, as well as the Clinton Foundation's acceptance of donations from foreign governments.

Also, Republicans running a select congressional committee reviewing the 2012 attack on a U.S. facility in Benghazi, Libya, which took place during Clinton's tenure at the State Department, are investigating her decision to delete thousands of emails she has deemed personal in nature.

___

Associated Press writers Catherine Lucey in Des Moines, Iowa, Kathleen Ronayne in Concord, New Hampshire, and Erik Schelzig in Nashville, Tennessee, contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-10

DEMOCRACY?

After following the US politics for more than 25 years, I do not recall the same party ruling the US for more than 8 years.

If that is true, Clinton does not have any chance, and a new party is a dream that never will happen under the US election campaigns scheme.

Under the actual US "Democracy" system, the 2 parties are just passing the "ball" every 8 years, and nothing really changes for good.

attachicon.gifPolititians.jpg

Actually, the Republicans controlled the Presidency for 12 years. Reagan was president from 1980 to 1988, followed by George H. W. Bush from 1988 to 1992.

• Like 1

It would be interesting for America to have a woman President, especially at a time of the Islamic conflicts. America has been one of the few democracies not to ever have a Head of State.

In the long run I'd like see a minority woman as a front runner for POTUS. Minorities account now for about 30% of the US population and represent the largest population growth. Maybe if Hillary is elected, she will have an organization of senior officials that might include minority women who can have the experience and talent to one day run for POTUS.

• Like 1

DEMOCRACY?

After following the US politics for more than 25 years, I do not recall the same party ruling the US for more than 8 years.

If that is true, Clinton does not have any chance, and a new party is a dream that never will happen under the US election campaigns scheme.

Under the actual US "Democracy" system, the 2 parties are just passing the "ball" every 8 years, and nothing really changes for good.

attachicon.gifPolititians.jpg

Look when they had the last president which didn't come from Democrats or Republicans....something like 150 years ago.

I can only see marginal differences between Democrats and Republicans....OK, a bit which lobby they give some Mega$ differs.

The scary part is that Billary could actually win...

Not that there is anyone else out there with something to say really..

The Fed and the Pentagon rule the roost and the gubbermint just tinkers at the edges.

After eight years of Obama...Old Hillary will be just fine.

Her timing is good....might as well go for a woman president, now that all the men are done.

Expect the worst, and settle for whatever. I bet she will be hell on wheels...

Photographers will be particularly happy...her photos are full of.....energy.

President...an equal opportunity job. No qualifications necessary.

Edited by slipperylobster

I just remember when she said in the primary, who do you want answering the phone at 3am. Well it was 5pm when the phone rang from Benghazi and they both failed this test miserably . Just wipe my email server clean and we will ignore the JV Isis boys for another 4 years.

• Like 1

There is not so much else to vote for, the republican clowns that think the bible and war should rule and with only 2 parties it's a no win situation. I few year back I was invited to a party in BKK from a old friend from us, the party was attended by U.S. Republicans that were on fall break visiting China, well U.S. taxpayers payed for the china trip but it did not stop there. They bought their own ticket to see light footed boys and ladies in BKK and Pattaya. I recognized a few faces and the disturbing thing is that these guys are high up Republicans and wore no to gay issues but are very keen to enjoy the company of a bar boy or lady boy when in Thailand. I was so discussed that I had to leave the party that was catered by a ladyboy supported by one of the highest ranking in Washington. He did not have time to go to Thailand but asked his love to entertain this group.

After this and also the way they try to destroy America I have lost trust in Washington, so until there is a change of rules so these guys can't sit for lifetime in congress or house and there is like many European countries 3-4 parties to vote for I think Hilary is the best option. Obama made it with help from many minority groups took time to vote, many for first time but with Oprah's help they found the voting booths.

..............Does her husband know how to bake cookies? What will be his role in the white house?.........Remember she resigned as Secretary of State. And she still has to answer to the Benghazi attacks and also countless other facts surrounding the IRS cover ups, IRS files hidden in the White house, of Prominent political opponents. There are so manny things she has been involved with, very little accomplishments as a Senator or as Secretary of State. She is a looser. Cornelia Rice (Secretary of State under Bush) could run circles around her if she ran for President.

Edited by Daniel Ingalls
  • Like 2

No point having an election.

Hillary is the next president.

I for one thought Bill was great!

Republicans stand no chance. How can a bunch of red necks compete against Hispanics, blacks, women, gays and intellectuals?

I didn't like him much, till I saw Bush....Than I thought it can't be worse and Obama came....

• Like 1

Secretary Clinton carries a lot of baggage, and she is not guaranteed victory as some on the left presume; but she will be very difficult to beat. Republicans need to ignore the hyper-partisan nuts and choose a strong ticket that appeals to moderate voters in purple states. Normally Governor Bush would be an ideal candidate but his last name is going to make it hard for many people to vote for him. I like Senator Portman or Governor Huntsman as possibilities. And as a wildcard for VP, how about Democrat Senator Jim Webb? He was President Reagan's Secretary of the Navy and could help the GOP win Virginia.

• Like 1

This woman will finish destroying American society if elected...finish what Obama has started...she has more baggage than an Airport...like a cat she tries to scratch enough dirt over her baggage so it can not be seen...but it still stinks...

I think Bush if not Bill Clinton started......

Welcome Hillary Clinton back home ... the white house.

Yes, she is inevitable.

You know it. I know it.

Resistance is pointless.

You're right, of course.

US presidential elections are personality contests, and Hillary looks like the most dominate of the lot.

Every POTY knows his POTUS.