Koh Samui blast 'political'

Lite Beer

Koh Samui blast 'political'

30257907-01_big.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- THE AUTHORITIES are convinced that the bomb blast in Koh Samui on Friday night was politically motivated.

Considering the timing and the location - shortly before the Songkran Festival in a popular tourist destination - observers yesterday insisted the attack was aimed at challenging the government.

Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at popular tourist destinations in the South, including Phuket, Hat Yai and Samui after the incident.

Seven people, including a 12-year-old Thai-Italian girl, were injured in the car bomb at the underground parking area of Central Festival department store. All of the wounded were later discharged from hospital with minor injuries.

The spokesman of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) as well as the government's deputy spokesman gave similar statements about the attack yesterday.

NCPO spokesman Winthai Suvari said there were ill-intentioned groups seeking an opportunity to disturb peace and instigate violence. He urged the public to give leads linked to the bomb attack to officials.

Government Deputy Spokesman Pol Major Sansern Kaewkamnerd said initial reports revealed that the people responsible for the car bomb was the same group that had planted a bomb in Bangkok. "Since officials have strictly checked Bangkok, the perpetrators have moved to other areas. Officials have found links that the bombers in Samui were the same group responsible for the bomb in Bangkok. We are tracking down traces from the scene,'' Sansern said.

Isoc spokesman Colonel Banpot Poonpian said a brown pickup with Yala licence plate number 4892, which was stolen while it was parked at Tambon La Ae Administrative Organisation in Yala on March 31, was used in the bomb attack.

"There have been no intelligence reports about the insurgency spreading out of the deep South. But there is a possibility that the perpetrators were southern insurgents or natives of southern border provinces who have expertise in assembling car bombs and were hired with the same motivation as in the case of the bomb blast on Soi Ramkhamhaeng 43/1 in Bangkok,'' Banpot said.

The people responsible for the attack will face terrorism charges or the charge of pre-meditated murder and making a bomb with the intention to harm lives and assets, Banpot said. They will face the maximum punishment as stipulated by the law.

Abdulraseh Dumedae, 52, driver of the stolen pickup used in the bomb in Samui, has been interrogated. He gave no useful information but confusing statements, police said. Pol Maj-General Thanongsak Wangsupa, of Yala Provincial Police Headquarters, said the driver reported the theft two hours after the car was stolen, so it was too late to track down the culprits.

Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intarasombat said he believed the Samui car bomb was the work of anti-government groups and had nothing to do with the southern insurgency because the insurgents had never shown inclination to operate outside the deep South.

"The culprits focused on a tourism place. They want to demonstrate their power,'' he said.

Politician Thaworn Senneam, who is a leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, said he believed the attack was the work of someone who wanted to cause problems for the government and the country's economy at a time when Thailand needs more tourist money to help boost the economic recovery.

Pheu Thai Party politician Worachai Hema said he believed the attack was aimed to discredit the government after it imposed Article 44 to keep peace and order. "This attack has affected tourism and business confidence because Samui is the heart of tourism in the South,'' he said.

Central Pattana Plc, which runs the Samui shopping mall, said in it letter to the media yesterday that the Songkran events to be held at Central Festival will continue as planned. Senior executive Nattakit Tangpoonsinthana said no serious damage had been found on the building after the explosion, so it would be mostly re-opened from today. Central Pattana said security had been increased at the mall and others run by the group.

In Phuket, security has been stepped up in tourism spots and department stores, especially Central Festival and the airport, after reports that cars stolen from southern border provinces would be moved to Phuket tomorrow, Phuket Governor Nisit Chansomwong said.

First Army Region commander Lt-General Kampanart Ruddit said he had ordered officials to strictly check all checkpoints in Bangkok, especially at spots famous for Songkran revellers such as Silom and Khao San roads.

In Songkhla, joint police, soldier and volunteer teams have increased security at seven spots in Hat Yai district.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry said Songkran events on Samui would go ahead as planned despite the bomb. Samui and nearby islands are expected to attract over 82,000 tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Koh-Samui-blast-political-30257907.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-12

• Like 1

I've heard quite a lot about reconciliation from the junta since the coup but I can honestly say that I'm having a bit of trouble working out who they are trying to reconcile with, I'm sure that until they make an honest attempt to reconcile with all parties there will be more of these unfortunate incidents.

• Like 2

I doubt this is related to Thaksin & Co. There are way too many other targets much easier to get than Samui. I tend to agree with Geriatrickid. The gov't, however, will use it as an excuse to continue with rather draconian rules.

• Like 2

I doubt this is related to Thaksin & Co. There are way too many other targets much easier to get than Samui. I tend to agree with Geriatrickid. The gov't, however, will use it as an excuse to continue with rather draconian rules.

'Hey, nobody wanted elections more than us, but alas...'

• Like 2

"There have been no intelligence reports about the insurgency spreading out of the deep South. But there is a possibility that the perpetrators were southern insurgents or natives of southern border provinces who have expertise in assembling car bombs and were hired with the same motivation as in the case of the bomb blast on Soi Ramkhamhaeng 43/1 in Bangkok,'' Banpot said.''

Are there intelligence reports pointing to this theory?

There must have been some intelligence reports pointing to possible car bomb attacks in Thailand as Central in Udon Thani have been searching under cars with mirrors entering their car park since the beginning of March. So i guess someone knows exactly who is responsible.

Have other shopping malls also been carrying out the same sort of security measures?

• Like 1

Now we are just waiting for the news from the investigators, that they have found red shirt memorabilia and ID cards on the scene, and the bomb was marked TS......................whistling.gif

• Like 1

"There have been no intelligence reports about the insurgency spreading out of the deep South. But there is a possibility that the perpetrators were southern insurgents or natives of southern border provinces who have expertise in assembling car bombs and were hired with the same motivation as in the case of the bomb blast on Soi Ramkhamhaeng 43/1 in Bangkok,'' Banpot said.''

Are there intelligence reports pointing to this theory?

There must have been some intelligence reports pointing to possible car bomb attacks in Thailand as Central in Udon Thani have been searching under cars with mirrors entering their car park since the beginning of March. So i guess someone knows exactly who is responsible.

Have other shopping malls also been carrying out the same sort of security measures?

True there have been bag searches in the Central I tend to use, but I thought that was just a reaction to the earlier blasts.

It's what's happened in the past, but you could be right.

They didn't bother today mind, but hey, it's songkran.

• Like 2

Lot of security yesterday at Central Bang Na. They didn't check the vehicles entering the parking lot though, as they were having lunch.

Note to self:

If you want to blow up Central Bang Na, do it during the guards lunch break ................

• Like 1

Lot of security yesterday at Central Bang Na. They didn't check the vehicles entering the parking lot though, as they were having lunch.

Note to self:

If you want to blow up Central Bang Na, do it during the guards lunch break ................

The biggest hole in the security checks is the entrance to Tops.

They never check there despite it leading directly into Central Bang Na.

I doubt any intel they have will be published in the National press.

Southern insurgents have a habit of going for maximum loss of life. On the other hand, there's been a group around lobbing grenades, blowing stuff up with a view to causing a stir but not taking lives.

So it does make sense to look at the latter group.

Agreed.. in the South they go for maximum loss of life. This is not the case here totally different. We do have however a underground movement that according to the police has ties with the red shirts that is doing bombings.

Looks far more likely too look in that direction.

By doing it in Samui it would humiliate Suthep .. so that would be an extra bonus for them.

Robbie, please, please surprise us sometimes.......................coffee1.gif

I doubt any intel they have will be published in the National press.

Southern insurgents have a habit of going for maximum loss of life. On the other hand, there's been a group around lobbing grenades, blowing stuff up with a view to causing a stir but not taking lives.

So it does make sense to look at the latter group.

Agreed.. in the South they go for maximum loss of life. This is not the case here totally different. We do have however a underground movement that according to the police has ties with the red shirts that is doing bombings.

Looks far more likely too look in that direction.

By doing it in Samui it would humiliate Suthep .. so that would be an extra bonus for them.

Robbie, please, please surprise us sometimes.......................coffee1.gif

I give a reasonable alternative theory. Do explain why in the south they go for max casualties and here.. not.

Can you try to use facts instead of attacking the messenger ? Probably not as facts are the worst enemy of your kind.

Australian media are reporting that is part of the ongoing problems in the south and not politically motivated.

Oz media often use formulaic commentry, never seen any independent analysis by Oz media reporters on the issues facing the deep South

Yeah the Aussie media is a rabble. More concerned with the block, master chef and kardashians ar$e. Total blitheness towards the news. Anyone could have done this... including the ruling junta, the dems, the reds... the muslims... Anyone. And being Thailand, they will pursue the wrong lead without fail. TIT

• Like 1