Briton allegedly hits and kills Thai motorcyclist

Thaivisa News

Suphan Buri:- A Briton crashed his car against a motorcycle, killing the Thai rider, while he and his Thai wife were returning to Bangkok from making a Sonkran merit in Suphan Buri, police said.

Pol Lt Surapol Pha-obthip, an officer of Sakaew police station in Mueang Suphan district, was alerted at 1 pm Sunday that the accident happened on the Don Chedi-Uya Road in Tambon Sakaew, Mueang district.

Surapol, a doctor on duty of the Chao Phrya Yommaraj Hospital and rescuers from the Nane Kaew Foundation rushed to the scene.

They found a Toyota Camry with Bangkok license plate on the roadside. A Honda Wave motorcycle with Suphan Buri license plate was stuck at the front of the car. The motorcycles’ tyres were completely broken.

About 200 meters away from the car was the body of Niam Nuwanna, 68, a resident of Tambon Sanamklee in Muang district. He suffered broken skull.

Amara Hopkin, a resident of Bangkok’s Minburi district, told police that the car was driven by her British husband, Brett Hopkin, 40.

Amara said her husband drover her, their 4-year-old twins and a relative to make Songkran merit in Suphan Buri’s Don Chedi district and they were returning to Bangkok when the accident happened.

Amara said her car was on the rightmost lane while the motorcycle was on the left lane. She said the motorcycle suddenly sped up and changed to the right lane, cutting the front of her car.

She said Hopkin tried to stop his car but it was too late. The car crashed into the motorcycle and the impact hurled the rider to hit the car’s windshield. His head hit into a metal part of the car, killing him at the scene.

• Like 1

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

Thank you. I somehow missed reading all of that in the article. whistling.gif

We've all seen it a million times. Changing lanes, turning and merging without looking.

Happened only once to me (cutting from left to right lane on a high way withouth looking) after driving 70k kms on Thai roads, but these motorcycle drivers who hit a main road coming from a soi withouth even looking for oncoming traffic, go figure. And the 30% of bikers at night with no red tail light and....and....

I do hope the Britisch driver is not in big trouble with the bib and the deceased's family....

My wife's brother got killed as a passenger on a bike (drunken driver, the bike driver i mean, car driver don't think so), car owner "only" paid 30k for brother's funeral.

Insurance should pay, wonder who has insurance to pay for such accidents.

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 2

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

Thank you. I somehow missed reading all of that in the article. whistling.gif

Theoretical offerings are difficult for some people to pick-up on, so don't feel too stupid, NeverSure.

Edited by Happy Grumpy
  • Like 1

Maybe no lights on the motor bike, there is quite a few of them

running about up here in CNX,no lights,dark clothes,nearly ran

into one a few nights ago.on the SuperHighway,most likely would

have been my fault if there had of been an accident,even when

they had no lights. take care,drive safe.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

"bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do. "

?? You ever heard of ABS? Do you have an advanced driver's licence?

In, or even approaching, a collision, if avoidance is not possible for sure you slam the brakes and the judder of ABS stops you a lot more slowly and permits steering, without endangering anything. I don't know where you got your last statement from but it is complete BS.

Not all cars have ABS.

What's written is post collision, not pre.

Sorry for your misunderstanding. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Sounds like the misssus is covering for her hubby a little in her statement. I am not saying the elderly gentleman wasn't at fault ( R.I.P) but it certainly sounds to me like the brit was going way to fast, only going by the description of the accident. If he was going a little slower may have had more time to react accordingly we all know the Thai's have poor driving happens and should always be aware of the sometimes silly moves they make on the roads. If it was an accurate description no way a helmet would have saved him anyway. I have seen plenty of falang showing attrocious driving habits on the roads of Thailand as well BTW

• Like 2

A few years ago I had a similar experience, with the exception the Thai motor-bike rider did not die. He did brake both legs.

After going for my insurance company for untold compensation, which he did not get, the end of the story is I got 2 years jail. My lawyer got the sentence suspended for 2 years.

The motor-bike rider pulled straight out in front of me, but in court, being a foreigner, I was slaughtered. My legal costs were not small. My eventual fine was minute. I had my passport confiscated, which meant I was unable to leave Thailand.

I had the floor wiped up with me. Why ? Because I was a foreigner. Was on a hiding for nothing from the moment of impact. The police dealt with the matter in a very 2-faced way.

Location Pattaya.

A Western guy driving a SUV hit one of my Thai family members who was crossing a road. The Western guy did a runner, but was later stopped and arrested by RTP; victim died in hospital 2 days later.

The Western guy paid 30k baht funeral expenses and 300k baht compo (negotiated by RTP at Soi 9) - did not have 1st class insurance. The driver never apologised or expressed remorse.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Makes sense as he had a couple of toddlers in the car. Sounds like he didn't touch the brakes before he hit the bike. If he's hit him that hard up the arse that the blokes back flipped and smashed his head on the windscreen he must have run straight up the back of him. Doesn't sound like a lane changing collision at all. Bike may have drifted into the fast lane or the bike driver was ambling along too slowly and the Cars Barreled over him

• Like 2

I would say the driver shit himself and froze,, then applied the brakes,,Seems normal for most people,,