AIR ASIA CHARGES: This should not be permitted

jko

I recently had the displeasure of booking my family on Air Asia. Two separate return fares with slightly different dates.

After dodging all the other add-ons, and just to be able to pay, there was a 4 x sector 180 Baht credit card "Processing Fee" = 720 Baht.

And here is Air Asia's 'explanation' :-

"It’s to ensure that our guests are provided with a comfortable and safe booking environment. AirAsia has invested substantially to expand, implement and maintain our online payment systems and especially, to upgrade, enhance and improve the security features for direct debit, online credit, debit and charge cards payments"

This of course is total nonsense.

Every responsible company is obliged to ensure a 'safe booking environment' for on-line payments. That is their responsibility, not that of their guests, and it is insulting for guests to be asked to finance it.

Imagine how much revenue is created every year, just from this charge alone.

This is an unacceptable, unethical and underhanded way of inflating advertised low fares.

It is high time that all airlines were called to heel, and obliged to trade honestly, and transparently. Air Asia undermines its own reputation by doing this.

They could enhance both their profitability and their public image by reviewing the dubious integrity of their 'add ons' and 'processing fees'

They cause so much ill will, and an enduring feeling of being cheated.

In Canada the add on fees and processing fees are more than the original cost. My friend back home showed me his water bill water consumption $35 but the bill was over $127 after add on and processing fees.

Thailand is just catching on how to be corrupt up front and get away with it.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

AirAsia is not the only Thai low cost carrier that knows how to hide costs (for better advertising).

And its not Thailand specific.

You find this fudge all over the world.

A plus for often scolded Thai Airw./Thaismile: final price is displayed after flight selection.

Advertised prices are all incl. prices.

Unfortunately such policy becomes out of fashion in the times of the low cost carriers.

Consumer protection is not a strong point here.

Why are most prices shown incl. tax, while e.g. telecoms can advertise prices before tax?

So the 699 Baht package is a 748 Baht package in reality,

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I think you pay 30-40 baht charge to pay at 7-11. Debit card should be cheaper than the credit card too.

I was on the BA.com site the other day. They had a little box that said all fares including taxes and charges. Select you flight page ...7000 baht to London, select the return 7000 baht to bangkok. 14000 clearly shown. Taxes get added on on the next page. Their little blurb...all prices include taxes charges is clearly misleading. 14000 looks great.

believe those are the cash prices if you buy the ticket at one of their offices. All the other payment channels are for the customers convenience, not air asia's and therefore Incur various levels of extra charges, which are clearly set forth on the website. If you feel these charges are excessive, you can high-tail it to their nearest office or take your trade elsewhere.

MANY companies "charge" for credit card fees. Either they are an additional fee or included in the price of an item in its markup. What, you think that Visa, Mastercard and other companies dont charge merchants to use their services? Of course they do and its passed off to consumers. I have no problem at all paying for them.

European airlines and american airlines are the same. Taxes and credit cards fees..upgrades...dodging insurance...suckering the unwary into buying cancellation insurance that will not cover you unless you are deathly ill. Just had a run in with Norwegian airlines, and got suckered by Jet blue in usa as well.

You should always figure on taxes and credit card (online fees). Also make it a point to cancel out insurance, food, baggage (except carry-on and seats. I almost always get an aisle seat by checking in early and just asking for something. Usually, I say have the Tiajuana squirts...and need quick access to the toilet. Works every time. Air Asia is reasonable, if you book ahead on their specials, and have the knowledge.

MANY companies "charge" for credit card fees. Either they are an additional fee or included in the price of an item in its markup. What, you think that Visa, Mastercard and other companies dont charge merchants to use their services? Of course they do and its passed off to consumers. I have no problem at all paying for them.

Like I pointed out earlier though it's generally an industry accepted 2-3%.

If the AirAsia THB180 is a higher percentage of the ticket price then it's unreasonable.

Agree with you . Why should you have to pay Air Asia for the pleasure of using your credit card. If people didn't use there CC ,Air Asia booking would collapse I'd guess

So who is going to pay the credit card company for use of their system? The entire civilized world uses credit cards. Maybe in bxuck sawan they dont but, purchase anything from the western world, break out the card. You guys need to keep up with the times

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree with you . Why should you have to pay Air Asia for the pleasure of using your credit card. If people didn't use there CC ,Air Asia booking would collapse I'd guess

So who is going to pay the credit card company for use of their system? The entire civilized world uses credit cards. Maybe in bxuck sawan they dont but, purchase anything from the western world, break out the card. You guys need to keep up with the times

They earn enough money, without requiring more payment for people paying them interest. Its all for their benefit isn't it.

Average cc processing fees are 1.9-2.5%. Do you think that people, machines, infrastructure, security, computers etc are free for credit card companies? The fee is for a business to take credit card payments from a customer. That is a big service.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Average cc processing fees are 1.9-2.5%. Do you think that people, machines, infrastructure, security, computers etc are free for credit card companies? The fee is for a business to take credit card payments from a customer. That is a big service.

Who would suffer more if the system closed down for just buying with CCs. I use my card quite a bit for flights hotels ect but it wouldn't ruin my life if I had call an agent ect. The Credit card companies seem to be under the impression that people cannot live without debt and monthly interest and need to pay them payments to acquire the debt and interest

This is not Kansas, read the rules of the site you booked with before committing to your purchase.

I agree, no one is forcing you to pay if you are not satisfied with the TOTAL package.

Same with Agoda, their price is quoted before the additional (in Thailand) of 10% service charge and 7% tax. It is not hidden and you do not commit to pay until you see the total price.

AirAsia is not the only Thai low cost carrier that knows how to hide costs (for better advertising).

And its not Thailand specific.

You find this fudge all over the world.

A plus for often scolded Thai Airw./Thaismile: final price is displayed after flight selection.

Advertised prices are all incl. prices.

Unfortunately such policy becomes out of fashion in the times of the low cost carriers.

Consumer protection is not a strong point here.

Why are most prices shown incl. tax, while e.g. telecoms can advertise prices before tax?

So the 699 Baht package is a 748 Baht package in reality,

There is one prominent company you book your hotels through, and their prices do not include taxes.

It starts and ends with A.

I believe you can pay for ticket at 7 11 and charges are very much less

Agree, the OP post is why I stopped credit card payments with AA and NOK. At 7 seems to fluctuate between 20 to 40Baht. I have a 7 store 5 minutes walk from my base and so easy. Just write down the booking number on a scrap of paper and tell the 7 cashier AA or Nok and give them the hand written reference number. All done in less than a minute.

Only small downside:

- On AA you have to pay within 3 hours of booking, for NOK I forget the time period.

- Can only use this facility for bookings more than 24? hours from departure time.

Not too difficult.

• Like 1

I think you might be missing the OP's point.

It is definitely normal to charge for paying by credit-card, but this is one single payment being made, for the booking.

So Air Asia are well out-of-order to charge their fee per-passenger per-sector, rather than just the once for the one single transaction between them and the credit-card company.

Its an annoying when each passenger has to pay the charge but there is only one payment transaction. At the end of the day you have to add it all up to get the true cost which may still be thousands cheaper than TG or a traditional airline. I always pay at 7-11 or Tesco so its never a problem for me and it also saves me inputting my card details online.

Simple question of which I already know he answer. Which is cheaper TG or AA? Even with this so-called "robbing" AA airline, they are still one of the cheapest and most efficient airlines in Asia. Why do normal citizens of Thailand have to pay a 7% VAT tourist tax in some places and not others?

Edited by 2fishin2

In my view the so-called 'budget' airlines are one of the most widespread con tricks in the travel industry.

They advertise what look like low fares, but if you do a like-for-like comparison including luggage, day and time of travel, travel costs to and from secondary airports, meals, seat booking and payment charges then the costs are close to or higher than the traditional airlines.

And that's assuming you manage to avoid being charged for 'insurance' during the booking process.

Bangkok Airways may be the one exception to this as they can be good value - but they describe themselves as a 'boutique' airline and not 'budget'.

I view 'budget' airlines the same as 'pay as you go' mobile plans ...... charging people more for less whilst pretending to be cheap and ripping off people who can least afford it.

In my view the so-called 'budget' airlines are one of the most widespread con tricks in the travel industry.

They advertise what look like low fares, but if you do a like-for-like comparison including luggage, day and time of travel, travel costs to and from secondary airports, meals, seat booking and payment charges then the costs are close to or higher than the traditional airlines.

And that's assuming you manage to avoid being charged for 'insurance' during the booking process.

Bangkok Airways may be the one exception to this as they can be good value - but they describe themselves as a 'boutique' airline and not 'budget'.

I view 'budget' airlines the same as 'pay as you go' mobile plans ...... charging people more for less whilst pretending to be cheap and ripping off people who can least afford it.

Last week i was looking at flights Chiang Mai to Bangkok for 16th April. At one point of checking Bangkok Airways was the cheapest/ best value. You get the baggage allowance,30kg if you join their freq flyer scheme, lounge access before departure, simple sandwich coffee orange juice during the flight, freq flyer miles can go to one of their partner airlines if you don't want to collect them with Bangkok Air. The others Air Asia , Lion, Nok had similar airfares, higher but not much, and none of the benefits. TG was the most expensive. You have to be happy with flying to BKK instead of DMK but Bangkok Airways are always worth checking.

• Like 1