Pattaya Budget Rough Draft: Am I missing anything?

hansomman

Food budget seems rather light @ 10,000.

Add 5,000 for health insurance. Very important.

Cell seems way over the top, as does laundry.

Use Skype or Line or FB messenger to reduce call-costs. (or send a pigeon) cheesy.gif

Unless you want to eat crap Thai food on the sidewalk, 500-600 baht per day for food would be more reasonable. I spend about 300/mo. on my cell phone (but I do not make many calls and rarely use my phone to search the net). Internet will probably cost you close to 800-900/mo. for 24/7 connection. Your laundry bill estimate seems way too high; maybe reduce that by 1/2, or wear t-shirts and shorts and wash them yourself for free. Typical rent rates can vary from 8000 (crap place but livable) to 20000 (decent place w/ ocean view). And, as stated, health insurance and entertainment should be added to your estimate.

sir

one does not have to eat thai food on the streets, manyy small restaraunts have good food for about 60 baht, 2 meals a day is 120 baht a day and then one can have a steak once a week for 600 baht, approx.I pay for 10mb, for 590 baht per month, excellant too.

• Like 1

Basic Living Expenses.

I've been tracking my costs since the start of the year. Haven't been hitting the bars much, so most of my expenses are just regular, day-to-day things. Over the last 3 months (Jan-Mar) my expenses look something like this:

10,000 - rent (2 bedroom house in a village on the Darkside - unless of course you don't "need" to rent for some reason)

2,200 - electricity (on average, varies depending on air-con usage and I have lots of gadgets and stuff running all the time)

2,600 - TrueVision Cable TV package (high end package)

795 - Truevision internet (high speed package)

450 - Water (includes village "maintenance" fee)

200 - Gas for the scooter (less actually, last time I filled it was 21 Feb and it cost 125 baht)

200 - Phone (rarely use - generally throw in 1,000 baht once in awhile)

200 - Laundry (soap, softener - own machine in house)

0 - Haircuts (hair ? what hair ? Though the guy down the block charges a whopping 60 baht !!!)

0 - Moto (bought new 2 years ago - maybe 1,500 baht in maintenance since then)

10,400 - Food (on average - includes ordering pizza and "dining out" a couple times a month - I personally "budget" around 15k/month, and I like to splurge a bit at Foodland and Friendship now and then but also buy a lot at local markets)

27,045 - Not including major expenses (health plan, moto insurance, company fees, visa fees - add about 6,000/month for those). Not including minor expenses (clothing, movies, toiletries, etc - add another what, 3-5,000 a month for those ?)

Then of course there's your "entertainment" expenses. Most people can't handle being alone for very long. Sooner or later they'll start venturing out. Maybe once a week for a wee drink at the local bar. Then a couple times a week for a couple of drinks. Then almost daily for a few drinks and maybe a little more. A few years ago I was going out pretty much every night and a 1,500 baht bar bill was a "quiet" night. Adds up quick (if you're on a budget - luckily I wasn't).

As everyone else has mentioned, expenses vary (greatly) depending on personal preferences and circumstances. I could get by on less and I could easily spend more. I'm actually a bit surprised at how little I seem to be spending (on the basics). I haven't included the things like the weekend in Koh Chang, the new water pump for the house or the parts and labour for some work I had done on the Harley. It's nice to see that I'm able to get by (easily) well under what I had been to spend. (Of course, if someone were to open a go-go bar on soi Khao Noi, that could all change in a heartbeat !)

• Like 2

A haircut and a shave costs 110 baht where I go. the biggest problem is health insurance especially since you plan to ride a scooter. Hang around the ER at any of the local hospitals and you will see what I mean. Call Matt at Global Solidor. He has plans that are very reasonable and cover the basics. Other than the already mentioned booze and ladies you should be able to make it.

My laundry is done for less than 150 baht per week and my Wifi is free....I chose to spend my money on coin operated girlfriends and enjoy the view and the food....lol...?

Not sure which section of the hi-so elite at Coconut Bar has been reduced to taking coins, but you seem to have hit the jackpot.

OK - I'll let myself out.

We've done this many times before. If that's not your budget but just the basics, yes. If it's the extras like travel and visas and medical and women then no.

Loptr already said it too.

Yes just to make it clear, these are just the basic fixed costs you will pay every month. Booze, travel, women... those are "up to you" as they say.

To paraphrase someone "......the squandered half the monthly budget, the other half for Booze and women".

My 1 year lease in a modern condo is 12,000, just less than a 1000 for electric once you get use to the heat.

I have a washing machine in the room that saves me a lot of cash. TV is included in rent every place I have rented. My gym is a 1,000 a month when getting the 6 month plan. I do not like Thai food so cook most meals at home and that budget looks about right for cooking good western food bought at the big chains.

1,000 on my iPhone with data lasts me about 3 months.

Edited by pegman

My laundry is done for less than 150 baht per week and my Wifi is free....I chose to spend my money on coin operated girlfriends and enjoy the view and the food....lol...?

Not sure which section of the hi-so elite at Coconut Bar has been reduced to taking coins, but you seem to have hit the jackpot.

OK - I'll let myself out.

He could be talking about Self Abuse with a condom on.

that would be cheap, also can be form a coin operated machine, many around in Thailand.

It fits the bill. ?

what would he be classed as then ? smile.png

Edited by onemorechang

The masturbating robot who pulled himself to pieces ??

When I look at the bevy of beauties lounging around in Coconut Bar, I am very thankful that my left arm still works after I broke my shoulder in 3 places last year. A traumatic injury, no question, but it could have been so much worse.

I would double the food budget.

10k ain t near enough.

Must be really fat if you eat that much. I rarely spend much more than 200 baht a day in Thailand and I'm a big eater. What on earth are you spending money on? Thai food is 35-50 baht a plate at BigC foodcourt, mom & pop eateries, and the open air markets.

I would double the food budget.

10k ain t near enough.

Must be really fat if you eat that much. I rarely spend much more than 200 baht a day in Thailand and I'm a big eater. What on earth are you spending money on? Thai food is 35-50 baht a plate at BigC foodcourt, mom & pop eateries, and the open air markets.

Big C food court that explains everything.....

Sorry I wouldn't eat that crap.

My missus wont even eat it!

I like to eat quality food which means I cook at home most of the time and buy most of my food from Villa

Fat....78kg at the moment 178cm tall ....what about you?

• Like 1

Big C food court has little quality. Only one or two stalls are even what I would consider safe to eat at. just watch every day as they pile the same old stuff on top of the old stuff. They never empty anything out. While you might get pieces of freshness, you almost certainly are getting pieces of something days and days old.

• Like 1

RrThe budget that OP mentions is a bit on the high side if you ask me.

This is my budget

Studio 40 sqm with kitchen 7000 baht

water 150 baht

Electricity 1000 baht

Internet 600

Mobile phone 600

Gas for my own car 1500 baht

Food 10000

Health insurance BUPA monthly 1200

Hair cut 500

Massage 500

Laundry free , I own the washing machine

Total : 23050 baht , not included entertainment or girlfriend , lets just say if I want to party one night I can afford it.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

This is my budget

water 150 baht

Electricity 1000 baht

Internet 600

Mobile phone 600

Food 10000

Hair cut 500

Massage 500

Total : 23050 baht , not included entertainment or girlfriend , lets just say if I want to party one night I can afford it.

Balo, where do you get BUPA as that sounds reasonable. I need to get insurance when I come out and had always thought it would be around the 3k mark a month for a 50 year old with no existing health problems.

Edited by Rimmer

This is my budget

water 150 baht

Electricity 1000 baht

Internet 600

Mobile phone 600

Food 10000

Hair cut 500

Massage 500

Balo, where do you get BUPA as that sounds reasonable. I need to get insurance when I come out and had always thought it would be around the 3k mark a month for a 50 year old with no existing health problems.

BUPA offer several plans , I did not choose the more expensive ones that includes OPD and more extensive coverage. But I consider myself a healthy person so for me the basic + coverage is more than enough .

You will find the plan that is right for you here:

bupa.co.th/en/individuals.aspx

• Like 1

Some can live on very very little.

What kind of life are you hoping to find here?

Advanced Member

• \
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 2015-04-13 23:41:16

Is this fixed bills budget about right for Pattaya or am I far off base??? Also, I didn't include any entertainment or misc expenses here since they vary from month to month. This is for a single person btw, not a family or couple.

Prices are in THB and USD.

Condo Rent : 15,000 ( $460 )

Electricity: 1600 ( $50 )

Water: 500? ( $15 )

Internet: 650 ( $20 )

Cell: 1000( $30 )

TV: 380 ( $11 )

Food: 10,000 ( $300 )

Haircuts: 500( $15 )

Laundry: 3200( $100 )

Motorbike: 2000 ( $60 )

Bike Fuel: 1000 ( $30 )