Positive Experience at Chiang Mai Immigration

Does the TM-7 form tell you what is needed for a retirement extention? Some Thai friend had helped me to aquire my O-A last year, but no longer here in CM :-(

I know about income verification.........what about police report, medical cert, residence proof?

How do I set up an appointment? I have only been there 2 time to do the 90day report with my passport.......thanks!

Edited by Afook

In over 7 years, I've only had one somewhat "negative" experience at Chiang Mai Immigration. Says a lot for them in my book.

In over nine years, I have also only had one negative experience at any Thai Immigration.

I done my 90 days report, then the officer ask me where my wife worked (what's that got to do with anything?)

Then he said to me "you are on 25 days overstay". I said "I am not", then said to him "OK, I go to ATM and get 20.000 Bt".

I then stood up to go, he then said "you wait here", he came back about three mins later, handed me my passport stamped,

then he said " you report back in 90 days".

This was about three years ago, and I'm still wondering what that was all about.

Does the TM-7 form tell you what is needed for a retirement extention? Some Thai friend had helped me to aquire my O-A last year, but no longer here in CM :-(

I know about income verification.........what about police report, medical cert, residence proof?

How do I set up an appointment? I have only been there 2 time to do the 90day report with my passport.......thanks!

No, a Thai friend couldn't have helped you to get your O-A, but rather your O visa visa with a 12-month extension due to retirement if it was obtained inside Thailand. You obtain an O-A visa outside Thailand.

If your 12-month extension is set to expire, then it's time to enlist the help of another "Thai friend" -- I'd suggest using a professional visa agency. Like Assist Thai Visa or OS Thai Visa. They'll probably even charge less than your friend. For starters you don't need a police report or medical cert to obtain a 12-month retirement extension, but you do need other documents. A reputable visa agent can guide you thru this. You could also learn from various threads on this forum, but the process can be overwhelming, esp. for first-timers in Chiang Mai.

As for appointments -- you have to book on-line and the queue fills up 100 days in advance. Since you can do your retirement extension 30 days before expiration, you should start to try to book your appointment 130 days before expiration. Best to check out the immigration website at midnight because normally appointments are full by 12:30 am.

Otherwise, without an appointment or the assistance of a visa agent, you're going to have to come to Immigration at 5 am to get into the queue and then all your documents must be in good order.

The OP's experience was good because he'd done his homework. Chiang Mai Immigration is not the place to show up unprepared and expect the Thai staff to have time available to hold your hand and guide you thru the process. Sorry, they're just way too overworked.

I think some folks are being just too hard on Kitsune, who is admittedly a big critic of Immigration. If a trip to CM Immigration was a walk in the park, then discussion of it wouldn't be a major topic like it is on the Chiang Mai forum and you wouldn't see so many unhappy people crowded into the waiting room every day. The place definitely isn't perfect, but the staff is working hard to make improvements with what they've been given to work with.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The mere fact that positive experiences have now to be reported, says it all !

This constant negativity you express is becoming very boring !

The vast majority of us experience "good experiences " maybe because we are not attempting to "scam" the system with dodgy "Ed" visas .

smile.png

Why assume that people on ED visas are necessarily perpetrating a scam? Marrying a Thai or being over 50 doesn't make you a saint.

I've extended my ED visa 3 times at CM immigration without any problems. Appointments on time, staff were fine, no testing or lengthy questioning. I find the place is overcrowded and I think having to do queue up to do a 90-day report separately from your extension is ridiculous but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 2

We have been going to Phuket Immigration at least once a year to get our 30 day extensions for over 10 years now.

We have never had a problem - tho' they are very busy all day long. The staff are nice and cheerful, and joke with you from time to time. The European "helpers" make life much easier and are a great boon.

But some of the riff-raff that comes through, ill dressed and almost rude (needing showers and shaves), make one shudder and embarrassed to be a european.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The mere fact that positive experiences have now to be reported, says it all !

This constant negativity you express is becoming very boring !

The vast majority of us experience "good experiences " maybe because we are not attempting to "scam" the system with dodgy "Ed" visas .

smile.png

How come that a positive report (or reports) is indicative of a normally negative state of affairs? May I suggest to Kitsune and others who are so dissatisfied with the Thai Immigration and other authorities and affairs in Thailand, to move away from here. It would obviously make their lives better and happier!!!

Ah, 'if you don't like it leave' response.... post #4, were you waiting?

• Like 1

This information from NancL is sound advice for anyone who has had little experience dealing with the Thai immigration department relating to reporting processes and or O visa retirement extensions. I use Star visa in Chiang Mai they are very good at acquiring the retirement visa and also with the 90 days reporting requirement. They will advise you about all the documents you require and check all the documents you give to them and then advise you of their fees. it cost me to obtain my retirement extension 6500 baht for their time and the additional necessary costs for the visas etc. I also decided to obtain an additional multi-entry visa inclusion in the passport it cost me 3000 Bah; t it allows me to leave the country and re enter as many times during the year that I wish.( Under the retirement visa you need only report each 90 days but is you wish to leave the country (so I am lead to believe), you need a re-entry visa; the 1 only entry is good if you will be leaving just once.. A 1 only re-entry visa cost 1000 baht.) I also used them for the 90 day reporting it cost me 1000 Baht. You will see that I value my time and quality of life, I don't like to spend vast quantities of my time sitting amoungst farrangs who specialize in creating an impression for the Thais that we are (as it has been described) lots of sour faced, loud mouthed fat and layabout slob style farrangs. Quite frankly, you are not doing me any favors behaving that way because as far as the Thais are concerned; we are all put into the same barrel and are just as bad as each other---- quite a sad situation really; wouldn't you say? Anyways, I am happy to pay for services that let me enjoy the life style I cam here to Thailand to enjoy

When I lived there, the immigration guys were quite helpful... I do recall that same day.. a very PO (European) in shorts, t-shirt, a possible drinker, came in yelling to the top of lungs, where is the boss.. the dude were quite professional...

Edited by Rhys

• 2 weeks later...

I think some folks are being just too hard on Kitsune, who is admittedly a big critic of Immigration. If a trip to CM Immigration was a walk in the park, then discussion of it wouldn't be a major topic like it is on the Chiang Mai forum and you wouldn't see so many unhappy people crowded into the waiting room every day. The place definitely isn't perfect, but the staff is working hard to make improvements with what they've been given to work with.

Thank you for taking my defense and pointing out the evidence about how much it's written about immigration, but I am not a "big critic of immigration", that would be nonsensical. Immigration is a necessary department of any country and being against immigration would be foolish.