Update on American diver missing off Phuket

webfact

Update on American diver missing off Phuket
Matt Pond

1429242857_1-org.jpg
Joshua Devine has been missing since the early hours of Sarturday (April 11). Photo courtesy of Bring Josh Home Safe Facebook page

PHUKET: -- Following the dissapearance of 36-year-old American Joshua Devine from the Chontara I liveaboard dive boat in the early hours of Saturday morning (April 11), Mermaid Dive Centre which is based in Pattaya and was the company which contracted out the Chontara I, yesterday (April 16) released a statement on their Facebook page regarding the incident.

The statement reads as follows:

Mermaids Dive Center regrets to announce a passenger went missing on 11 April 2015 at approximately 5 AM while traveling on a vessel that had departed Phuket for the Similan Islands the night before. The vessel is a hired liveaboard dive boat that Mermaids Dive Center contracted, as the Similan Islands is not a regularly scheduled dive location. Although many customers on the vessel were booked through Mermaids Dive Center, some customers booked directly with the liveaboard company. The incident did not occur during a scheduled dive.

Search and rescue operations remain underway, and Mermaids Dive Center sincerely hopes that the missing passenger will soon be reunited with friends and family. Mermaids Dive Center has reached out to the missing passenger’s family, and is deeply concerned with the outcome of the search for the missing passenger, the wellbeing of the missing passenger’s family, and everyone affected by this unfortunate event. Mermaids Dive Center continues to work closely with all regulatory bodies involved in the investigation.

Upon learning that the passenger was missing, members of the dive trip immediately searched the vessel, and failing to locate the missing passenger, the vessel backtracked to the area the missing passenger was last seen. The dive boat then conducted an ocean search for the missing passenger in a logical, planned manner using large spotlights while many members of the dive trip assisted with torches. At the same time the boat captain started initiating radio contact with the Royal Thai Navy, Royal Thai Police, rescue services, as well as other vessels in the area. The location was not within cellular coverage.

Rescue services personnel arrived at the dive boat at approximately 10 AM after successful contact by the dive boat at approximately 6:30 AM. The dive boat continued searching the area until the Royal Thai Police arrived at approximately 1:30 PM. The Royal Thai Police took control of the incident after initial interviews with the boat crew and some passengers were completed. The missing passenger’s spouse left the dive boat with the Royal Thai Police and the dive boat departed from the search area at approximately 3 PM. At approximately 10:30 AM Mermaids Dive Center contacted the US Embassy to report the incident and provided all available information.

As the incident is currently under investigation, Mermaids Dive Center will be unable to offer further comments at this time. Mermaids Dive Center will respect all comments posted in response to this announcement. Emails may be sent to [email protected].

Meanwhile, having now raised enough funds, Mr Devine̕s mother and sister are now on their way to Thailand. The latest post on the Bring Josh Home Safe Facebook page timed at 9:56am yesterday read: Flights are booked, hotel is booked...now 24 hours to go before we begin the journey to bring Josh home.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/update-on-american-diver-missing-off-phuket-51909.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-17

Anybody think to do a count of how many weight belts before the accident were on the boat and how many left after the accident?

Also applies to anchors?

Something very wrong here in the story and witness acounts. Family please dig much deeper,

Semper Fi Josh.

Use one of 100 different gps sensors etc. They use it in skiing resorts. And there are for sure suitable ones for diving.

Yes, such systems are available for divers. There use is now mandatory on live-aboard boats in Egypt. but one doesn't wear them at 5am when one is supposed to be in one's bed!

This is indeed a strange occurrence.

Anybody think to do a count of how many weight belts before the accident were on the boat and how many left after the accident?

Also applies to anchors?

Something very wrong here in the story and witness acounts. Family please dig much deeper,

Semper Fi Josh.

Semper Fi ?

Originally from Massachusetts, Joshua Devine grew up in Connecticut. He currently works as a civilian IT engineer with a U.S. military contractor in Kuwait. He was a sergeant in the Connecticut National Guard from 2002 to 2006. Joshua Devine is also a diving instructor.

I am not sure we can always judge a book by the cover, but if this guy is only half as bright, omtimistic and intelligent lookig as this picture ... then it truly is very sad to have him go missing.

He is young, highly qualified (Dive instructor) and we have every reason to beleive if he hit the water in decent shape .. this story still has a chance for a happy ending.

If Thailand is eager for good press and a positive international image ... guys ... this one fell in your lap.

Get every GD helicopeter and plane you have up there .... get those patrol boats working every hour of sunshine ... and find this guy! Then enjoy the international glory.

How awesome would it be ... let me tell ya' ... that would be so freaking amazing and wonderful ... it would never be forgotten.

Now get off your collective duffs and DO SOMETHING !

no mention about his drinking habits that night. was he seriously drunk, fell overboard?

This is a statement from the dive center he was diving with. They might be held (partially) responsible, so no, they won't say anything about that.

Use one of 100 different gps sensors etc. They use it in skiing resorts. And there are for sure suitable ones for diving.

Yes, such systems are available for divers. There use is now mandatory on live-aboard boats in Egypt. but one doesn't wear them at 5am when one is supposed to be in one's bed!

Huh? There is no such thing for divers....GPS signals cannot be transmitted through water. There are underwater tracking devices but not GPS units.

But to even think something like that would be used in Thailand is impossible. Heck many boats down even have GPS for their own use.

no mention about his drinking habits that night. was he seriously drunk, fell overboard?

This is a statement from the dive center he was diving with. They might be held (partially) responsible, so no, they won't say anything about that.

His wife, and others reported that he was quite intoxicated, very loud and throwing things about the room. Supposedly they calmed him down, and when they went to check on him later, he was missing. The family doubts that story, as they say with his level of expertise, he would know better than be drinking a few hours before a dive. Google the Washington Post April 15 report on this.

Huh? There is no such thing for divers....GPS signals cannot be transmitted through water. There are underwater tracking devices but not GPS units.

But to even think something like that would be used in Thailand is impossible. Heck many boats down even have GPS for their own use.

There are electronic devices for yachties.

In races particularly, they wear it around their neck full time and it sets off an alarm on the vessel if they go overboard.

http://www.mby.com/gear/man-overboard-alarms-41806

Edited by Old Croc

Seriously what kind of dive operation is this! They did not do a head count before starting the engines and leaving! I’ve been on a live aboard’s before; people are in the water at all hours of the day and night! They sneak in to skinny dip, make out on all parts of the vessel at all hours, particularly the very early morning hours.

As I said earlier in the first posting of this story if he went in the water drunk and the boat left him, he more than likely became the main breakfast menu selection of a roving Shark!

His wife, and others reported that he was quite intoxicated, very loud and throwing things about the room. Supposedly they calmed him down, and when they went to check on him later, he was missing. The family doubts that story, as they say with his level of expertise, he would know better than be drinking a few hours before a dive. Google the Washington Post April 15 report on this.
Why would I do that? I know the stories. I'm just answering the question why there is no mentioning of drinking in this statement.

Seriously what kind of dive operation is this! They did not do a head count before starting the engines and leaving! I’ve been on a live aboard’s before; people are in the water at all hours of the day and night! They sneak in to skinny dip, make out on all parts of the vessel at all hours, particularly the very early morning hours.

As I said earlier in the first posting of this story if he went in the water drunk and the boat left him, he more than likely became the main breakfast menu selection of a roving Shark!

Please read the op, your post is nonsense from start to end.

There are electronic devices for yachties.

In races particularly, they wear it around their neck full time and it sets off an alarm on the vessel if they go overboard.

http://www.mby.com/gear/man-overboard-alarms-41806

So not suitable for diving.

But maybe they can be made compulsory for all boat passengers in Thailand.

This is wrong on several levels. I've dived with Mermaids for years, including Similan trips, and there is ALWAYS a head count before leaving the dock.

As well, they don't dive at 5:00, usual itinerary is first dive around 9:00 a.m.

Although I have personal issues with the managing staff and no longer dive through Mermaids, they are STILL one of the most professional dive shops in all of Thailand. None of us were there, we don't know the facts, so let's stop casting incorrect aspersions and let the authorities investigate. This tragedy has caught international attention, so a proper effort will be made.

Slightly on-topic, and perhaps someone in the diveboat/liveaboard community could answer my question?

Do these boats carry AIS transmitters? I understand from previous news articles that all boats now have to be equipped with AIS, so that the position of each boat can easily be tracked.

I also ask because I 'host' the AIS receiving antennas and equipment at my home near to the airport, and provides coverage of the waters around north Phuket for the tracking website - marinetraffic.com.

I will very soon upgrade my installation with a new receiver amplifier to extend the coverage.

If these boats are equipped with AIS, then I will re-orientate my directional, receiving antennas to provide reception out to the Similans/Myanmar coastal waters.

But I can't say that I've ever seen an AIS signal from a diveboat/liveraboard.......

I am not sure we can always judge a book by the cover, but if this guy is only half as bright, omtimistic and intelligent lookig as this picture ... then it truly is very sad to have him go missing.

He is young, highly qualified (Dive instructor) and we have every reason to beleive if he hit the water in decent shape .. this story still has a chance for a happy ending.

If Thailand is eager for good press and a positive international image ... guys ... this one fell in your lap.

Get every GD helicopeter and plane you have up there .... get those patrol boats working every hour of sunshine ... and find this guy! Then enjoy the international glory.

How awesome would it be ... let me tell ya' ... that would be so freaking amazing and wonderful ... it would never be forgotten.

If only you were half as bright as the average tree you'd have noticed that searches have been under way right from the start.

If only you were half as bright as the average tree you'd have noticed that searches have been under way right from the start.

Errrrm.......except for the 13th April.

Slightly on-topic, and perhaps someone in the diveboat/liveaboard community could answer my question?

Do these boats carry AIS transmitters? I understand from previous news articles that all boats now have to be equipped with AIS, so that the position of each boat can easily be tracked.

I also ask because I 'host' the AIS receiving antennas and equipment at my home near to the airport, and provides coverage of the waters around north Phuket for the tracking website - marinetraffic.com.

I will very soon upgrade my installation with a new receiver amplifier to extend the coverage.

If these boats are equipped with AIS, then I will re-orientate my directional, receiving antennas to provide reception out to the Similans/Myanmar coastal waters.

But I can't say that I've ever seen an AIS signal from a diveboat/liveraboard.......

Like everything else in this dysfunctional country the AIS 'requirement' faded away immediately after it was splashed on the news. Would not have been helpful in this case anyway.

Why is it every time a foreigner here gets drunk and does something unfortunate, the world is supposed to bend over backwards to sort them out? I mean the man no ill will, but how old does a person have to be before their own behavior is blamed on some kind of "conspiracy"? Earlier reports said he was drunk and wandered on deck (according to his wife) in the early morning. I think we can assume, while drunk, a fall or slip off board was likely.