GPS

mrjon

What model Garmin Gps is avaible that is simple to use and has a fairly good map base?

I use a cheap Nuvi 50 that I use in my car and on my bike that works for me here in the states.

I was hoping to buy another here and download Thailand base map, but I see that it has been discontinues by Garmin.

Amd so it is back to plan B and buy something in Thailand.

Thanks

I use Sygic GPS nowadays seems work fine on any Samsung phone here in Thailand adequate enough. Also offers updates free and about under 1,000 baht (one off fee) for Thailand map (you can get worldwide nowadays). You can easy buy here mobile window/dash fixing units to mount it near you in car, etc.

But you need good power supply (charging) whilst you use (seems to zap phone battery down quickly otherwise) but if you leave on charging in use is ok.

cheers (any help).

there is a shop in Chiang Mai that sells gas's and Garmin have an office in Bangkok.

i recently upgraded the map on my Garmin Nuvi 3597, that i brought from Australia , at the head office in sathon, it was the best thing i ever did, i simply walked in , they checked to see if my machine was comparable, as that model is not available in Thailand, they simply changed the memory chip and all off a sudden my GPS was 100 per cent more accurate.

the S.E Asia map is hopeless , as it does not use freeways or tollways.

google Garmin in Bangkok and it will give the address of their office , and they sell all their products in the shop , so you can get a local GPS system from them , just make sure you buy a system that comes with the free lifetime map upgrade.

rob

• Like 1

I use Sygic GPS nowadays seems work fine on any Samsung phone here in Thailand adequate enough. Also offers updates free and about under 1,000 baht (one off fee) for Thailand map (you can get worldwide nowadays).

+1 for Sygic app on iPhone/iPad. Far better than what came fitted in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Moose,

Thanks for confirming the address of Garmin Bangkok

I can get a Garmin nüvi 55 at Amazon here in the states for $105 and I see that Lazada thailand is selling it at $154.

I'm going to buy one in the states and go to Garmin Bkk and ask them to download Thailand maps

No problem - for about 1500 Baht for all units NOT purchased from an authorized dealer in Thailand.

Moose,

Thanks for confirming the address of Garmin Bangkok

I can get a Garmin nüvi 55 at Amazon here in the states for $105 and I see that Lazada thailand is selling it at $154.

I'm going to buy one in the states and go to Garmin Bkk and ask them to download Thailand maps

Edited by Rotweiler