Major Education shake-up

Lite Beer

PUSH FOR EDUCATION REFORM
Major Education shake-up
The Nation

NATIONAL COUNCIL for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief General Prayut Chan-o-cha has introduced a big shake-up at the Education Ministry in the push for education reform and greater efficiency.

Several top education officials, including the ministry's permanent secretary, have been reshuffled.

With Article 44 giving him across-the-board power, Prayut signed an order to transfer several high-ranking education officials on Thursday.

The order will take effect as soon as it is published in the Royal Gazette.

Under the order, Education Ministry permanent secretary Suthasri Wongsamarn will be removed and appointed as secretary general of the Office of the Education Council. He will be replaced by Kamjorn Tatiyakavee, secretary-general of the Office of Higher Education Commission (Ohec).

Piniti Ratananukul, head of the Office of the Education Council, will become the new chief of Ohec.

Through the reshuffle, Office of the Private Education Commission secretary general Bundit Sriputtangul will swap posts with Education Ministry inspector general Adinan Pakbara.

In another move, Office of Basic Education Commission deputy secretary-general Rattana Sriherun will be made secretary-general of the Office of the Teacher Civil Service and Education Personnel Commission.

The PM also removed all board members of the Teachers Council, |the Office of Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Education Personnel and the office's business organisation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Major-Education-shake-up-30258215.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-18

The director of my school asked us foreigners firmly to step forward with ideas to improve the overall performance of the school. When some of usdid, the standard answer was that things are not done that way in Thailand.

just a hint of the school would be nice?

Udom Suksa?

I would have rather seen the entire Ministry and all administrators investigated and prosecuted for corruption. The remaining "educators" should be evaluated for competence, and mostly terminated, not transferred.

So education reform idea 1. Sack all the teachers?

Whats 2? - Close the schools and chain kids to factory tables

I have to ask did Zaphod really think this idea through?

Glad to see that they know there is a problem. Changes are needed, but there has to be accountability, and monitoring and advice from outside of Thailand.

There are recognized experts in the field with a proven history. .

Reshuffled? How about replace top four or five layers of Education bureaucracy, top down! Bring in qualified farang consultants and put together a strategy that will set the country forward. Reshuffle, my as*

I am sure there are also enough foreign educated Thais who could do a better job than now.

There are good models, Finland, South Korea....just copy them. Might not be perfect but better than what they do now.

Teachers and administrators excessive use of corporal punishment needs to be addressed and changes made...the beating some children must endure borders on criminal abuse...not to mention the fear of having to go to school for the abused children...

• Like 1

Who needs reform? Again? They have copied the Western curricula ages ago and there are many foreign experts working here. Stop all the changes and administrative paperwork that comes along with these changes.

The only overhaul that is necessary is to hold students, teachers and parents responsible for student learning. In other words fail those who are not good enough or are lazy, or use different curricula for the different ability levels. Group students based on their ability. The most likely answer you will get is that the better students can be role models for the weaker students. They can learn from each other.

True, but the way it's going now is that the weaker students are role models for the better ones. Why put in the extra mile if Somchai can play video games whole weekend, watch loads DVD's and still get about the same grade?

Learning or studying is hard work and a no fail policy is only benefiting the weaker ones. And as we all know a chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Also, why is there so much corruption at the schools. I loved to see rows of nervous parents sitting outside the directors office with little white slips indicating the amount of money they would donate the school (for improvement of course). Needless to say that the school director walked around as if he was the creator himself, drove a big Benz with driver and went on study trips to the local and foreign golf courses as much as he could. Maybe hard to believe, but I am not exaggerating.

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Like 2