Activist defends rice venture as 'just making a living'

Lite Beer

Activist defends rice venture as 'just making a living'
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- ANTI-coup activist Sombat Boonngam-anong says his new fair-trade rice venture is genuine and sustainable and not driven by political motivation, as alleged by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Prayut yesterday slammed Sombat for buying unhusked rice for Bt15,000 per tonne, labelling it an impossible business model and questioning his motives.

Government spokesperson Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd went further, warning that Sombat could be summoned again if the scheme was found to be politically driven.

Sombat told The Nation yesterday that the enterprise, which began less than 20 days ago, was a small-scale, sustainable attempt at fair trade.

"I think they're still trapped with me," said Sombat, who led a short-lived anti-coup movement right after the coup last May until he was arrested. "Whatever I do is perceived as being political. But they should give me a chance since they have frozen my bank account [after he failed to report to summonses]. They should let me earn a living."

Sombat, who faces an appearance before a military tribunal, is selling husked Pathum Thani jasmine rice at Bt200 for a five kilogram bag.

He said business has been brisk with a tonne of rice sold per day over the past 17 days. He calculated that he was earning a profit of about 8 per cent after an initial investment of Bt100,000.

"I had no idea when I began [how it would go] but I admit that it now has a political repercussion," said Sombat, in reference to the comparison between his venture to the controversial rice-pledging scheme under the previous Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

Sombat said instead of trying to prevent him from engaging in fair trade, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and the government might want to collaborate with him to see how realistic the venture could be and expand it into a medium-scale venture while engaging in a wider discussion about fair-trade.

"They still have my money frozen in the bank," said Sombat, referring to what he says is Bt1 million plus that has been frozen for more than 10 months. "Please just let me make a living and help the country this way."

If the NCPO wanted to de-politicise the matter, Sombat said "I am ready to listen and cooperate".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Activist-defends-rice-venture-as-just-making-a-liv-30258214.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-18

A lot of the fair trade and other organic certification programs are scams. No farmer should need to pay an office for a certified license in order to participate in a market. I won't list the acronyms of the "foundations" operating in Thailand because you can find them on your own.

What's he actually doing that's wrong?

If he wants to pay above the odds that's his lookout.

Don't particularly like this guy, but if it's his money, it's his choice what to do with it.

15,000 baht a ton is above the market rate and probably, ultimately, he's going to go bust.

However that's his choice.

If he stays small scale.. No reason he would bust...

As he is buying by the ton and selling 5hg bags...

It only becomes a problem if buying in tis and selling in tons...

As selling in tons, there is not enough mark up to cover the 15,000 thb price...

But if selling in 5 kg bags only..then plenty of margin to buy at that price

But the 5kg bag market is limited, so doesn't work on a large scale

Many congrats to Sombat. Making money while thumbing his nose at the ugly junta.

His bank account has been frozen for 10 months and if there are any regularities in what he is doing now then that will be stopped as well so he won't be making any money or have any money to spend!! Back to the days of the farmers plight for him.

This is sad. He is one of the good guys aligned to the red shirt movement but is totally non-violent.

He is doing nothing wrong - in fact some good on a small scale while making a profit. Note that paying 15,000 per tonne and selling at the equivalent of 40,000 per tonne allows for some profit after de-husking. It just shows how much profit the middle-men are currently making on a large scale by buying at 6-7,000 per tonne and ending up at around the equivalent of 30,000 per tonne in a supermarket.

• Like 2

I can see why this man is a threat. He has a social conscious; something the current regime hasn’t displayed. He is aware and mindful of the needs of the poor and disadvantaged. His deeds as listed below are honourable, unless he has a very dark side to him. Support for a political party may not count?

Sombat also sounds as though he could run and get into parliament in a high position.

Sombat Boonngamanong and a group of his friends formed the ‘Mirror Arts Foundation’ in 1991, he established an NGO – the ‘Mirror Foundation’ in 1999. Its first office was opened at Ban Huey Khom, a set of villages in Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai.

Through this foundation and his team of volunteers, began helping the rural hill tribe communities in areas of citizenship, drug abuse, forced labour, sexual exploitation of women and children, education, and promotion of civil rights. His first project was of designing a new educational system that would address the local needs of the rural communities which had little or no access to formal education.

He subsequently used the internet to gather around 100 volunteer teachers, doctors, nurses, and engineers etc. to teach the poor tribal children. Sombat also dealt with one of the biggest crisis of rural Thailand: Poverty. For this, he channelled the women towards handicrafts making activities and these were then marketed locally and again due to internet-internationally.

Sombat’s project to help street children and combat trafficking dealt with creating awareness amongst the public about child trafficking and beggar operations.

Another project led by Sombat, was the setting up of tsunami volunteer centre (2004) through which volunteers helped the victims in repairing and building houses, clearing rubbish, running English language camps for children, training villagers in small scale jobs such as making furniture and other crafts.

The Mirror Foundation employs full time and part time volunteers and has received funding from various institutions like International Labour Organization, Asia and Rockefeller foundations, the Singapore International Foundation, Samsung, Save the Children and Microsoft.

These types of deeds warm my heart. People doing this type of work are real saints. And for this the General wants to send him to Goal, remove his wealth?

"These types of deeds warm my heart. People doing this type of work are real saints. And for this the General wants to send him to Goal, remove his wealth?"

Goodness me. All you needed was a violin player standing next to you while you wrote that heart warming piece. It would have brought tears to my eyes if not for the nausea I was feeling due to the blatant agenda driven impulse that had you write that piece.

When Ponrthip was promoted by this government that you despise you and your ilk demonized her and belittled her yet she ran the largest forensic project in Thai history during the Tsunami. We have Sombat working arm in arm with Ponrtip during that sad time in history to help the victims and those affected, but because Ponrtip was viewed favorably by the current govt she was demonized by you and your ilk yet because Sombat was a red shirt he is to be commended.

With that said though and not being blinded by color of ones shirt I have respect for Sombat as well. He is nothing like the ambitious mainstream RS leaders who repeatedly reversed their rhetoric for cabinet positions in the previous PTP government.

As for the rice. If Khon Korn is able to help then Sombat should be able too as well. Though Khun Korn is not making a cent and all money goes back to the community.

I can see why this man is a threat. He has a social conscious; something the current regime hasn’t displayed. He is aware and mindful of the needs of the poor and disadvantaged. His deeds as listed below are honourable, unless he has a very dark side to him. Support for a political party may not count?

Sombat also sounds as though he could run and get into parliament in a high position.

Sombat Boonngamanong and a group of his friends formed the ‘Mirror Arts Foundation’ in 1991, he established an NGO – the ‘Mirror Foundation’ in 1999. Its first office was opened at Ban Huey Khom, a set of villages in Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai.

Through this foundation and his team of volunteers, began helping the rural hill tribe communities in areas of citizenship, drug abuse, forced labour, sexual exploitation of women and children, education, and promotion of civil rights. His first project was of designing a new educational system that would address the local needs of the rural communities which had little or no access to formal education.

He subsequently used the internet to gather around 100 volunteer teachers, doctors, nurses, and engineers etc. to teach the poor tribal children. Sombat also dealt with one of the biggest crisis of rural Thailand: Poverty. For this, he channelled the women towards handicrafts making activities and these were then marketed locally and again due to internet-internationally.

Sombat’s project to help street children and combat trafficking dealt with creating awareness amongst the public about child trafficking and beggar operations.

Another project led by Sombat, was the setting up of tsunami volunteer centre (2004) through which volunteers helped the victims in repairing and building houses, clearing rubbish, running English language camps for children, training villagers in small scale jobs such as making furniture and other crafts.

The Mirror Foundation employs full time and part time volunteers and has received funding from various institutions like International Labour Organization, Asia and Rockefeller foundations, the Singapore International Foundation, Samsung, Save the Children and Microsoft.

These types of deeds warm my heart. People doing this type of work are real saints. And for this the General wants to send him to Goal, remove his wealth?

"These types of deeds warm my heart. People doing this type of work are real saints. And for this the General wants to send him to Goal, remove his wealth?"

Goodness me. All you needed was a violin player standing next to you while you wrote that heart warming piece. It would have brought tears to my eyes if not for the nausea I was feeling due to the blatant agenda driven impulse that had you write that piece.

When Ponrthip was promoted by this government that you despise you and your ilk demonized her and belittled her yet she ran the largest forensic project in Thai history during the Tsunami. We have Sombat working arm in arm with Ponrtip during that sad time in history to help the victims and those affected, but because Ponrtip was viewed favorably by the current govt she was demonized by you and your ilk yet because Sombat was a red shirt he is to be commended.

With that said though and not being blinded by color of ones shirt I have respect for Sombat as well. He is nothing like the ambitious mainstream RS leaders who repeatedly reversed their rhetoric for cabinet positions in the previous PTP government.

As for the rice. If Khon Korn is able to help then Sombat should be able too as well. Though Khun Korn is not making a cent and all money goes back to the community.

Honestly mate, are you for real.

Have you ever done any significant social programs in your life? Have you ever contributed to the fabric of humanistic endeavours or is it your lot in life to blindly follow your right wing rhetoric, letting yourself be easily manipulated?

I read one of you posts that mentioned how your good-self changed the ideology of your village on democracy. All I saw was a person so far up themselves in believing of their own self-importance. This is a sickness that does not have a happy ending. What you see before you is not real. If you try to engage people on what is happening in life, you may find that your thought process has many flaws.

Jamie your delusional views on what is and what isn't are disturbing. I haven't got a clue what you are trying to get at with the reference to Ponrithp? You need to explain yourself in detail.

If Sombat is as bad as you want to make him out to be, why do major international Companies support the programs he has been involved with? The international community has withdrawn support from the General?

But getting back to social programs. I have done this work with some success and I know how hard it is. I have also lived in the Chiang Rai area realising the effort programs like the ones developed would take. Its dam hard work with little monetary reward. The reward is in the heart. Something that your posts seem to lack.

Goodness me my friend. Has someone had too much to drink on this fine Saturday evening?

You spend the first 4 paragraphs and about 130 words demonizing and denouncing me.

Then you say "If Sombat is as bad as you want to make him out to be"

Where did I make out he was bad? I actually said "I have respect for Sombat"

Thank you for reinforcing my argument that you have a "blatant agenda driven impulse that had you write that piece" Ironically including the piece you wrote to rebut what I said although rebut is a a stretch because in fact you didn't rebut me. You belittled me and then accused me of something I didn't say!

I haven't got a clue what you are trying to get at with the reference to Ponrithp?

What a surprise. Of course not. What I highlighted above shows you had no understanding of anything I wrote...

Have a lovely evening my friend. Might be time for nap naps heay?

I assume you understand what a nap is...

Edited by djjamie

I can see why this man is a threat. He has a social conscious; something the current regime hasnt displayed. He is aware and mindful of the needs of the poor and disadvantaged. His deeds as listed below are honourable, unless he has a very dark side to him. Support for a political party may not count?

Sombat Boonngamanong and a group of his friends formed the Mirror Arts Foundation in 1991, he established an NGO the Mirror Foundation in 1999. Its first office was opened at Ban Huey Khom, a set of villages in Thailands northern province of Chiang Rai.

Sombats project to help street children and combat trafficking dealt with creating awareness amongst the public about child trafficking and beggar operations.

This is the technique/s used to control populations/popularity which is later exploited on a scale far exceeding the small gains trumpeted so loudly. The organizations you listed toward the end of your post from which funds emerge are exactly the problem. They are corrupt. The evidence is available if you're ready to see how things really are.

He must lay awake at night thinking of ways to get under the PM's skin! cheesy.gif

Unfortunately for him, Prayut's skin is thicker and he holds all the trump cards!!!

I know who the winner of this is going to be.

Judging by the way Prayuth is averse to any criticism I would say his skin is wafer thin.

Honestly mate, are you for real.

Have you ever done any significant social programs in your life? Have you ever contributed to the fabric of humanistic endeavours or is it your lot in life to blindly follow your right wing rhetoric, letting yourself be easily manipulated?

I read one of you posts that mentioned how your good-self changed the ideology of your village on democracy. All I saw was a person so far up themselves in believing of their own self-importance. This is a sickness that does not have a happy ending. What you see before you is not real. If you try to engage people on what is happening in life, you may find that your thought process has many flaws.

Jamie your delusional views on what is and what isn't are disturbing. I haven't got a clue what you are trying to get at with the reference to Ponrithp? You need to explain yourself in detail.

If Sombat is as bad as you want to make him out to be, why do major international Companies support the programs he has been involved with? The international community has withdrawn support from the General?

But getting back to social programs. I have done this work with some success and I know how hard it is. I have also lived in the Chiang Rai area realising the effort programs like the ones developed would take. Its dam hard work with little monetary reward. The reward is in the heart. Something that your posts seem to lack.

Goodness me my friend. Has someone had too much to drink on this fine Saturday evening?

You spend the first 4 paragraphs and about 130 words demonizing and denouncing me.

Then you say "If Sombat is as bad as you want to make him out to be"

Where did I make out he was bad? I actually said "I have respect for Sombat"

Thank you for reinforcing my argument that you have a "blatant agenda driven impulse that had you write that piece" Ironically including the piece you wrote to rebut what I said although rebut is a a stretch because in fact you didn't rebut me. You belittled me and then accused me of something I didn't say!

I haven't got a clue what you are trying to get at with the reference to Ponrithp?

What a surprise. Of course not. What I highlighted above shows you had no understanding of anything I wrote...

Have a lovely evening my friend. Might be time for nap naps heay?

I assume you understand what a nap is...

Jamie that is belittling and that was written by you? 'blatant agenda driven impulse' this is an assumption/accusation by yourself. It bothers you when it is done in reply to your posts, but this level of dialogue was started by you to my OP?

'When Ponrthip was promoted by this government that you despise you and your ilk demonized her and belittled'

When did I belittle Ponrthip and what has it got to do with my original post. How do you draw a blatant agenda from this? 'Your ilk demonized her', where in my OP did I do this? This becomes an accusation, a denunciation or claim things you pointed out in your last post you don't like being posted against your posts. But you do it?

"What a surprise. Of course not. What I highlighted above shows you had no understanding of anything I wrote..." To be honest Jamie, I find it hard to understand many of your posts, so I don't respond to them. I find that a lot of your statements are disjointed trying to achieve the art of dialogue without much success.

“I haven't got a clue what you are trying to get at with the reference to Ponrithp?

'What a surprise. Of course not. What I highlighted above shows you had no understanding of anything I wrote..."

When a person says they don't understand what you are trying to say they mean it. I still haven't got a clue what you are trying to put forward?

You could never make me drink as I don't. I am watching the F1 practice and qualifying sessions at the moment. I do enjoy reading some posts on TV in between sessions.

Most who post don't have an agenda or axe to grind; they do so from a genuine concern of what is happening. If you read some of Peter Greste comments on freedom of speech, it may help.

• Like 1