Justice Minister hands PM list of civil servants suspected of corruption

Lite Beer

Justice Minister hands PM list of civil servants suspected of corruption

BANGKOK, 18 April 2015 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed different ministries to launch investigations into scandals involving their civil servants allegedly involved in corruption.

PM Prayut issued the order in response to a report implicating more than 100 state officials in malfeasance. Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya handed the report to the premier during a meeting on new anti-corruption laws which was joined by Gen Paiboon and the secretaries-general of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission and the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Gen. Prayut said civil servants suspected of corruption would have to be suspended if the initial findings indicated their links to unscrupulous activities. Should further investigations confirm their wrongdoing, the officials involved will face criminal prosecution.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-18 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"Should further investigations confirm their wrongdoing" I thought they were wrongdoers already! Why is the government tap dancing on the issue?

It's called due process of law. I know you want to think that Prayuth can just sentence them to a prison term.

Thrse civil servants have had reports of corruption made against them. The next step is to investigate in order to determine if a prosecution should take place. If you think that is a "tap dance" maybe you prefer to live in a country where there is no rule of law.

Rule of law, here ! ?

• Like 2

"Should further investigations confirm their wrongdoing" I thought they were wrongdoers already! Why is the government tap dancing on the issue?

It's called due process of law. I know you want to think that Prayuth can just sentence them to a prison term.

Thrse civil servants have had reports of corruption made against them. The next step is to investigate in order to determine if a prosecution should take place. If you think that is a "tap dance" maybe you prefer to live in a country where there is no rule of law.

He can, under Article 44, and without any due process being in the process! wink.png

• Like 2

Only when there is a very real fear of being caught and thrown into jail will these moves against corruption have any effect. So far it appears not to, certainly at the lower levels of the socio/bureaucratic structure. A friend told me he had to pay 2,000 baht for overstay, and the imm. officer asked him if he wanted a receipt. When he said no, the money was slipped surreptiously off the desk and into an open drawer.

• Like 1

Only when there is a very real fear of being caught and thrown into jail will these moves against corruption have any effect. So far it appears not to, certainly at the lower levels of the socio/bureaucratic structure. A friend told me he had to pay 2,000 baht for overstay, and the imm. officer asked him if he wanted a receipt. When he said no, the money was slipped surreptiously off the desk and into an open drawer.

Everyone should ask for a receipt, even in countries where there is never 'corruption'.

• Like 2

Everyone should ask for a receipt, even in countries where there is never 'corruption'.

Absolutely, it's necessary insurance.

Just before Songkran I was fined for not having a driving licence and the BIB were having a field day.

I had a great yarn with them although all they were interested in was why i was alone, did i have a Thai wife, did I like Thai ladies etc.

The officer in charge gave me my receipt and made it so clear i should not lose it as it covered me for 7 days so produce to Highway Police if stopped by them.

The cop on the roadblock who pulled me over accompanied me back to my vehicle and repeated the warning to keep the receipt safe.

• Like 1

Please read the article again - words like "suspected of corruption" "if the initial findings indicated their links to unscrupulous activities" "Should further investigations confirm their wrongdoing" "allegedly" normally do not imply that they were wrongdoers already. What would possibly make you think that " they were wrongdoers already " apart from your obvious delight in trashing any, and everything the current government does ?

"tap dancing' ? Again, you are a little premature to be expecting a cut and dried result when the PM, has just instructed different ministries to launch investigations into these allegations.

BTW the PM initiated this investigation as a result of the new anti-corruption laws.

• Like 1

He can, under Article 44, and without any due process being in the process! wink.png

"He can" but did not. Imagine the furor if he exercised Article 44 of the interim charter irresponsibly. ermm.gif

• Like 1

He could shoot them or punch them in the face.

Sent from my c64

They aren't dancing... they are being careful about the shoes they are wearing in climbing this hill. It will involve both the PTP and the Democrats.

Isn't it sad that whenever an announcement like this, or many official pronouncements on corruption, ar made, those of us who have been here for many years have no belief in the system or that anythng will really change?

Is this what they men by "Thainess"

You don't have to have a criminal prosecution to fire someone. That is a completely separate issue.

• Like 1

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed different ministries to launch investigations into scandals involving their civil servants allegedly involved in corruption.

He should get them to write it on a toilet roll; there might just be enough room on a couple of packs.

Gen. Prayut said civil servants suspected of corruption would have to be suspended if the initial findings indicated their links to unscrupulous activities. Should further investigations confirm their wrongdoing, the officials involved will face criminal prosecution.

And when will Prayut submit his own financial records for public scrutiny?

At this point they're being accused. The next stage of investigation is to decide if there's probable cause to charge them with criminal activity. It's complicated and there are lots of opportunities for the prosecutors to overcharge or let people off. Don't know how you could overcome the problem of prosecutorial discretion, which is a huge problem in the U.S.

Can't wait to see how long it takes for some, any, of the names to be released and how long it takes for action to be selectively taken.

Is list number 2 being prepared ?

I thought this was list no. 2.

An initial list of 100 was handed over a couple of weeks ago - I thought. The General/PM (I never know what to call him) said, at the time, he had not looked at it. Curious!