Water Filters In Bangkok

Nepal4me

I was at Home Pro yesterday and looked at the water filters. These are the filters you would connect under your kitchen sink which filter out all the nasties and in theory give you wonderful, pure, tasty drinking water. Some of these filters are pretty sophisticated, they are multiple filter systems. They have separate ceramic, charcoal, sediment filters, other systems have UV filters also. At Home Pro, the prices for were in the 8 to 12,000 baht range. Need to replace the filters once a year and they're not cheap but still the big expenditure is the initial system.

In my previous apt, I had big 50 litre bottles delivered and my wife and I would go through about 2 per week (guests who were many would also help us drink the water, my wife and I didn't really drink 50 liters per week each). These bottles were only 50 baht so that was about 100 baht per week. Over a year that works out to about 5,000 baht so in 2 years I would have paid for the water filter. In my new apt, I don't have any readily available source of cheap bottled water and my water expense will go up so I'll probably pay off a water filter in 1 year or so. Hopefully, with a water filter I'd also get better water with many of the nasties removed and hopefully a better taste too.

So my question is, has anybody had good or bad experiences with water filters in Bangkok or elsewhere? Anybody knowledgeable on the subject and can offer comments on what filters are useful and what types of filters are pure marketing gimmickry?

If you are using Bangkok tapwater (chlorinated/biologically safe) then a basic two-stage filter with sediment and activated carbon cartridges should be all you need. The water will be at least as clean as what you get in the big jugs. The cost should be around 800 Baht or so.

If you are using Bangkok tapwater (chlorinated/biologically safe) then a basic two-stage filter with sediment and activated carbon cartridges should be all you need. The water will be at least as clean as what you get in the big jugs. The cost should be around 800 Baht or so.

We bought an Amway one..quite expensive..can give you a contact is interested or use google. Many have the resin which is a softener..my opinion is that you do not want softened water..just filtered and free from any bacteria.

We are in BK but I wouldnt trust that there is no bacteria in the water. You can smell the chlorine in your storage tank..however if left for a few days there is no chlorine left and then there is nothing to stop any growths.

I was at Home Pro yesterday and looked at the water filters. These are the filters you would connect under your kitchen sink which filter out all the nasties and in theory give you wonderful, pure, tasty drinking water.

who told you that???

It will make the water drinkable and safe. But for sure it will not get a wonderful, tasty drinking water.

It is still the last low end quality junk water, but you can drink it without getting sick. You can not compare it to any natural mineral or spring water in bottles.

We bought an Amway one..quite expensive..can give you a contact is interested or use google. Many have the resin which is a softener..my opinion is that you do not want softened water..just filtered and free from any bacteria.

We are in BK but I wouldnt trust that there is no bacteria in the water. You can smell the chlorine in your storage tank..however if left for a few days there is no chlorine left and then there is nothing to stop any growths.

I heard the Amway one was 30,000 baht. Also that it is very small so you could easily move it around (not sure that I would ever want to but....).

Any thoughts on the importance of the ceramic, sediment, charcoal or UV filters? Do they really serve a useful purpose? If so, what?

I heard the Amway one was 30,000 baht. Also that it is very small so you could easily move it around (not sure that I would ever want to but....).

Any thoughts on the importance of the ceramic, sediment, charcoal or UV filters? Do they really serve a useful purpose? If so, what?

Yes thats about the normal price...expensive but so is a trip to BNH. There is a way of getting it a little cheaper..think we paid about 24-25000.

Have a look at http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.net/

Many people mis-understand water filters..there is pleant of information on the net..use google.

UV very important..kills bacteria...I think the charcoal absorbes the chlorine..and you need a fine filter for any debris.

Amway is e-spring..it fits onto your tap..you have a changeover valve so you can select 'pure water' for drinking/bottling for the fridge or chlorinated water (tap water) for general use.

Yes thats about the normal price...expensive but so is a trip to BNH. There is a way of getting it a little cheaper..think we paid about 24-25000.

Have a look at http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.net/

Many people mis-understand water filters..there is pleant of information on the net..use google.

UV very important..kills bacteria...I think the charcoal absorbes the chlorine..and you need a fine filter for any debris.

Amway is e-spring..it fits onto your tap..you have a changeover valve so you can select 'pure water' for drinking/bottling for the fridge or chlorinated water (tap water) for general use.

Had a look on that page, as I studied food technologie, I recommend--> just forget that page pure stupid.....

I am not educated enough on that topic, but yes UV kills bacteria, 100 % right.....

charcoal also takes bacteria out of the water (but I don't know if enough to keep it bacteria free or if they start to live happy on the coal and send their children), but I have doubts if it adsorbs the chlorine which is relative small an in big amount in the water. If it would adsorb the chlorine very well it would also adsorb other things which have value for the body.

Not that I want to make everything bad, sure you can get a healthy water no bacteria reduced chemicals but never the same as real natural good water.....

Amway is always very expensive. Maybe you can get the same for half the price....

If you want bacteria protection at lower cost than UV treatment the 4,000 baht units that have a ceramic final filter should be all you need in Bangkok. If I were using untested shallow well water I would probably use UV but the combination of charcoal and ceramic should get rid of enough nasties to keep you safe in the city. It is all I have used. Clean the filter when flow becomes restricted and replace each year. The type that contains silver is preferred (cheap filters units should be boiled after cleaning).

If you want bacteria protection at lower cost than UV treatment the 4,000 baht units that have a ceramic final filter should be all you need in Bangkok. If I were using untested shallow well water I would probably use UV but the combination of charcoal and ceramic should get rid of enough nasties to keep you safe in the city. It is all I have used. Clean the filter when flow becomes restricted and replace each year. The type that contains silver is preferred (cheap filters units should be boiled after cleaning).

just a short add: silver does kill bacteria so an advantage....