Buddhist temple in Korat paints crematorium pink to ease fears

webfact

Buddhist Temple Paints Crematorium Pink to Ease Fears

By Khaosod English

pink.JPG
The pink crematorium at Wat Phob Suk Temple in Mueang district of Nakhon Ratchasima province.

NAKHON RATCHASIMA — A Buddhist temple in northeastern Thailand has repainted its crematorium pink to console funeral-goers and local residents.

The crematorium, located in Wat Phob Suk Temple in Nakhon Ratchasima province, was built in 1990 but renovated last year, said Phra Witthaya Wiratthano, a monk who lives on the temple compound.

"Residents who walked past the temple by night felt scared by the crematorium," Phra Witthaya told Khaosod, adding that the building's original coat of white paint had faded over the years.

Phra Witthaya said he decided to repaint the entire strucutre in bright pink to ease visitor’s fears.

The temple pavilion and the cart used to carry coffins were also painted pink, with the hope that the playful color will bring some consolation to funeral-goers, the monk explained.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429521159

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-20

Someone better warn them about homophobic spirits. I think gay bashers turn into poltergeists. Since these are Thai spirits, that'll be at least five angry poltergeists for every innocent victim they take their anger out on at being Hello Kittyed.

(Hello Kittyed is the past tense of the verb, obviously.)

I've been in and around Thailand for 28 years and am never going to be able to understand them..

I understand them. I just disagree with their thought processes, work ethics, design efforts, construction outcomes, governing, education system and the way they drive.

I still haven't found out why the spirits here prefer red Fanta though. Maybe a few years after my death and mixing it up with dead Thais...I'll understand that too.

blink.png

• Like 1

I've been in and around Thailand for 28 years and am never going to be able to understand them..

I understand them. I just disagree with their thought processes, work ethics, design efforts, construction outcomes, governing, education system and the way they drive.

I still haven't found out why the spirits here prefer red Fanta though. Maybe a few years after my death and mixing it up with dead Thais...I'll understand that too.

blink.png

But they don't. At least where I've seen the red Fanta drinks placed. Piles of red Fanta, and the spirits refuse to drink it. Why do the Thai continue trying to force red Fanta on spirits? You'd think that after a while, they'd try something else to see if it works any better.

• Like 2