Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

Let's see

I wear HJC Lorenzo Helmet (Full), Joe Rocket Jacket , AGV Sport GPR Gloves , Komine Kevlar Jean and Alpinestars SMX Plus boots.

So I guess my gear is okay and I didn't see any thai driver act strange or stupid.

My post was aimed at the OP.....

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to race in Pattaya , motorcycle taxis ( without passengers ), and anybody, great fun. from 1990 onwards. now I know the 90"s where different, but we used to go hammer and tongs down the beach road, it was the way it was.

I could tell you things that you wouldn't believe, so I won't tell you, but , you missed the best days and I'm happy that I lived through the 90's.

But, again, I wasn't an old man !

Let's see

I wear HJC Lorenzo Helmet (Full), Joe Rocket Jacket , AGV Sport GPR Gloves , Komine Kevlar Jean and Alpinestars SMX Plus boots.

So I guess my gear is okay and I didn't see any thai driver act strange or stupid.

My money would be on the OP (ahem, rider, please) looking out for you in that spangly stuff soon. You never know, he might give you a wiggle!

simple becasue a 2 wheeler has a lower rank than a 4 wheeler so you shouldnt over take them. 2 wheeler are for poor people.

I just bought the new Ducati Monster 1200 S at Ducati Thonglor for 1.1 million baht. I love the bike, but now I am sad because according to Hili I am poor.

It's not just Thailand, I've seen it in the US too. In the US I had cruise control and I'd know it the car I was passing either decided to match my speed or accelerate. It happened and I asked the same question: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

However, it happens more often here. With older vehicles you can actually tell the accelerate when the smoke come pouring out of the exhaust Lol. Then as soon as you're by them, the fall away like their staying still. Yeah, it's odd. What are they thinking? I've no idea.

simple becasue a 2 wheeler has a lower rank than a 4 wheeler so you shouldnt over take them. 2 wheeler are for poor people.

I just bought the new Ducati Monster 1200 S at Ducati Thonglor for 1.1 million baht. I love the bike, but now I am sad because according to Hili I am poor.

Cheer up. Put on some of the glittery stuff and Happy Grumpy might give you a nice big wiggle too.

What's with all the trolls and their fake anger?

You ask a simple question as to why many Thai drivers/riders act a certain way, and the trolls go nuts. crazy.gif

I'm sorry but this is something that's been bothering me lately.

When did the definition of troll become "anybody who disagrees with me"?

Every single thread where people have some minute difference of opinion, we start seeing everybody calling each other trolls.

I personally have never seen the behaviour you're talking about in the OP (aggressive passing, kicking legs, shaking butts), and neither have a lot of other posters. That doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar or idiot, or that I'm 'trolling' you, it just means I've never seen it. Maybe I'm riding in a different area than you are. Maybe it's because I'm wearing a full face helmet and they can't tell I'm a farang. Maybe it's something different about our riding styles; once I get ahead of the pack after a stop light I tend to stay ahead, rather than slowing down in front of people. Honestly I don't know. But just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they're all "trolls." That word is becoming way too over-used around here of late.

I haven't noticed this, but then again I'm not the sensitive type and I don't commute into/out of BKK. I do, however, ride 150km/day. Sometimes I overtake, sometimes I'm overtaken. Hasn't been a problem yet.

I was in my Fortuner tonight and I had a problem with some A-Hole on a Mototorcycle, old Farang on a MC = problem, so I tried to reason with him, hey man, I'm 30 years younger than you and I'm a Black Belt in Origami, did he take any notice , did he fawk, he belted off showing his ass and gave a wiggle, great stuff, of course, he would never stop, too old and I'm too good

My brother in law was with me and said next time he sees that ass flasher, he's gonna have a problem

I was in my Fortuner tonight and I had a problem with some A-Hole on a Mototorcycle, old Farang on a MC = problem, so I tried to reason with him, hey man, I'm 30 years younger than you and I'm a Black Belt in Origami, did he take any notice , did he fawk, he belted off showing his ass and gave a wiggle, great stuff, of course, he would never stop, too old and I'm too good

My brother in law was with me and said next time he sees that ass flasher, he's gonna have a problem

Steady on dear boy. I'm an old farang on a big bike...Oh yeah, hang on...I am a bit of a problem...I don't have a donkey to show you and I don't know how to wiggle.

As for showing my arse, I often confuse it with my elbow now I'm 50. Take pity young sir.

Is your brother-in-law from Wales or New Zealand and missing the lambs, to be so taken by an ass these days? Not that I've seen many in BKK, but age does terrible things to an old mans vision.

You drive a Fortuner? ok stop there... old guy was in the right and you are the a$5hole

Fortuner was the first car I owned here and it makes you an A-hole on the road.. sorry but its true. Sell it.

Edited by wow64

I never realised that kicking out a leg had a meaning.

It explains one motorbike rider's action recently.

I pulled up alongside a motorbike, beeped my horn and pointed down. I then made this action with my leg, trying to indicate that his side-stand was down. Then I pulled away.

Next thing the bike came screaming past me and cut me up, still with the side_stand down. As he cut across me the stand dug in and he was lucky to stay on the bike.

Pointed your foot at him ?

You're lucky he didn't punch you in the head.

I pulled up alongside a motorbike, beeped my horn and pointed down. I then made this action with my leg, trying to indicate that his side-stand was down. Then I pulled away.

Next thing the bike came screaming past me and cut me up, still with the side_stand down. As he cut across me the stand dug in and he was lucky to stay on the bike.

Guess you haven't been riding much.

What area? I never have experienced this around Phuket.

To the contrary, in Phuket, I have been given the death stare or even briefly chased by Thai drivers who thought I slighted them in some way incorrectly. I didn't move my bike from the gas tanks fast enough a few weeks ago and an older Thai gave my GF a lecture about teaching me to move faster at the pumps. After I got my change, I looked at him and said "relax". He was enraged by this and was reaching inside his waistband as I took off quickly. Temps are noticeably flaring in Phuket.

Guess you're not familiar foot pointing is an insult here.

Wow! A black belt in Origami. Respect that man. clap2.gif

Better make sure I step aside when I see this guy strutting down the sidewalk.

Strange that. I never knew you could get such an award for folding paper. smile.png

So, after fruitful and mature discussion, I think we have come to a consensus.

Happy Grumpy and his glittery/spangly gear wearing friends excite the locals on rather small engined scooters to display a homo-erotic mating ritual that the rest of us butter side up chaps on real bikes don't see.

Nothing wrong with wearing the glitter boys and only having a small piston, but monkey see monkey do. You get me? Just saying.

Edited by englansi

Poor attempt at humor.. and I bet most people have no clue what origami is. You would have folded him in pieces for sure.

I rather enjoy these 'redirected' threads (meaning they were started in another section and moved here, while a link remains in the original section, sending posters who don't normally post in the bike section over to our little enclave)- we get to see some looney posters with whom we might not otherwise come into contact.;)

Dear Mr Lang, you may have noticed a persistent and obdurate set of posters throughout TV on a variety of different threads that say they cope with the local conditions more or less problem free.

It may be that you are looking in the wrong direction for answers, wouldn't you conclude from that? That was my experience in the beginning anyway.

Of course the conditions are more hazardous here than in some other places. But that is emphatically not the deleted point is it? You can shout statistics until your glitter dries and your spangly jacket is unfashionable, it won't change the fact, by one iota, that you are the person ultimately responsible for yourself. A point consistently made by the many people who know this, adjust to the local conditions and enjoy riding/driving here.

As you would have gleaned, had you stayed focussed on this actual topic, the aggressive behaviour exhibited toward certain people here is not experienced at all by the majority of others who display a more considered attitude to the local people.

You also didn't seem to get the point made about trolls. I am beginning to see a pattern: people with tunnel vision and their unfortunate propensity for getting blown to smithereens by their own petards but yet keep on posting comments.

Many behaviours on the road here defy understanding or just simple survival sometimes from my European perspective, but that's up to me to compensate for, I'm the deleted outsider after all. If you can't cope with it and outwit the locals on the road without being confrontational, just stay in bed and complain to your mum quietly.

1 aspect that's noticeable is that I view the road as say, 20 cars ahead, the locals seem to view it as 2 cars ahead.

I note the big picture and move smoothly through it at an average speed. They bolt into the first space available to them in front of them and then get stuck while I smoothly cruise around and beyond without needing to accelerate.

This really pee'd off a guy on a raider 125 this morning (I was on my CBR250R) as he kept revving up when passing and then would get stuck, about 3 times, then both into the clear and he came revving past, gave it the revs, then maybe 10 seconds later (I just let them get on with it) the two legs come out. A strange (and not very nice) personality trait, really, is it.

Edited by DLang

You guys must be riding around like idiots if you are getting this kind of behaviour from the majority of Thai riders. As many have said, never seen it happen and I personally have never had other Thai riders give me shit, challenged me etc.

In fact if I see riders on big bikes, then 90% of the time I get a nod or a wave. I have had Thai riders stop and help me when I had a puncture or run out of petrol. I have had Thai riders chat to me at the lights about my bike, or say hello.

Here is a hint, if you see a rider acting aggressively, reving his little scooter engine ready for popping a wheely as it scoots through a red light (yes this kind of behaviour does happen in Bangkok), just do what the majority of us normal, sane riders do and just ignore them.

^
Yep, have to agree. Better ignore them. Some would call it geriatric, others would call it wisdom.

Never noticed any agressive behaviour towards me from other bikes so far. As long as you keep smiling most smile back. And of course there are some idiots doing dangerous stunts, but has nothing to do with me imo.

Guess you're not familiar foot pointing is an insult here.

I'm very familiar with what foot pointing means. But it's not an insult when you're on a bike and pointing your foot to the ground to indicate to other bikers behind you that there is a hazard on the road. It is in fact good practice and protocol, even here in Thailand.

Guess you and milesofsmiles are not regular group riders.

It would have been better if the OP would have used the word competitive in his title instead of agressive.

I do witness competetive behavior at trafficlights ( a little dragrace) or someone trying to overtake after being overtaken.

But agressive, not really, Everywhere in the world are " boyracers" and I quite like the sight of those Thai teenagers with there modified, waves/sonics/dashes. Reminds me of my time fiddling with mopeds, trying to squeeze out a few extra km's.

The fact that those boyracers wear hardly any proper gear is another subject though.

The behavior of some cars in Thai traffic can be called agressive.